Cramping and Swelling after No Stoma Output - Normal?

Replies
Views
Shadowchick27

Is it normal for your abdomen to cramp and swell, after having no stoma output for over 24 hours?

w30bob

Hi Shadow,

I think you know the answer, but if you want someone to confirm, then yes, it's normal for your abdomen to cramp and swell when it's blocked. But NO, it's not normal to have no output for 24 hours. Flush your bowels if you know how or get your butt to the ER ASAP if you do not. You do not want your bowel to perforate, which will cause sepsis... which is fatal if not caught quickly.

Regards,

Bob

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,380 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Shadowchick. 

Bob's reply more or less says it all.  I find that most of my abdomen pain comes from trapped wind. As you have a colostomy I would encourage you to irrigate, which would undoubtedly encourage output and get rid of most of the wind (if this is the problem). There is a saying in stoma circles that what you eat is comensurate with what comes out, so if you don't eat much, then you might go more than 24 hrs without output. Some people have a lazy gut, which might also lead to slow digestion and lengthy times before output. Blockages of one sort or another can be serious and the reason for them should be investigated so that you can get something done about it. Or at least understand what is happening and put your mind at rest.

Best wishes

Bill  

countyclare

I second what Bob has said. Get yourself immediately to an emergency room. Your condition is potentially very dangerous. Go now!!!

Shadowchick27

Everything is good. I felt a huge buildup of pressure behind it, and when I rolled back and forth with my legs tucked up, I felt a huge pop. The stoma produced blood and stool almost right after. Bleeding from the stoma is why I have to have this major surgery, I am doing better today, the stool is starting to return to normal consistency. Thank you for all of the concern.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Puppyluv56

Shadowchick,

Glad your issue has resolved. It is scary sometimes! To not have a BM for several days before an ostomy was no big deal. Now, it is!

Hope you don't continue to have that problem,

Puppy

Past Member

Hi.

I want to share that but my bowels will move almost every day, sometimes half the day, then it depends on what I have eaten too, but I do not go for perhaps 2 days, which is normal for me, even before my stoma days. My stomach bloats out and sometimes I will get cramps. I have gone through periods of not going then going all day long. What is the norm for me is not normal for you, etc. I have never been told to flush my bowels either. Please tell me how that is done!

Thanks

Zebbilu