Bag Holding: Vertical or Horizontal?

Replies
Views
warrior

Just reading how some folks are learning an alternative to wearing their bag. It seems vertical from reading is common. The minute I received my bag, vertical wasn't gonna work. I am going horizontal. Sideways, not down. Down felt in the way and feared it would get squished. Horizontal is easier to handle. Feels safer too. At least it doesn't feel like a third leg. Thoughts?

xnine

Not that filters work that well. I was thinking horizontal would plug the filter, so I have always been vertical. My Hollister belt only works vertically.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,460 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Tickpol

I'm having difficulty picturing how you would empty. I use a 12" bag with a filter on the upper left (your perspective) and my stoma is in my upper left quadrant.

As situated, emptying from a sitting position the opening is left, level or below my privates so there's zero chance of contaminating my urethra. (Like I need a UTI). By going horizontal across my abdomen I'm thinking it would be above the privates and not level and if you have an accident there's no recovering.

I've thought about going the stealth belt way and at least it would return to vertical for emptying.

Am I missing something?

Dave

warrior

Hi Dave. I use a 2-piece Convatec with a 12" bag like yours. I don't sit to drain it; this is a drainable pouch. I stand above the toilet, bend at knees, and let her rip. Stoma is alongside the belly button. I can drain the horizontal pouch without unbuckling pants. There's no way I see my privates as underwear covers it, and basically, this is an outside thing. I mean outside of pants. I realize you're sitting to drain. I don't need to do that. Also, if sitting, there shouldn't be a reason to drop your pants, unless I am missing something??

warrior

I have used Hollister's 2-piece system horizontally with my body wrap belt. If you're comfortable using it this way, great. I just find it annoying... loose. "Hanging out" sideways, keep it close. Draining is no problem. Those filters get wet and forget about it. A solid bag won't need to worry about the filter... Also, did you know for non-filter bags, there's a cool add-on that allows you to purge the bag? Regardless of the position? I don't use the bag horizontally at night. It's too easy to roll over and pop a seal. No, I simply rotate the bag while still attached to the water 90 degrees and use a thinner belt to keep it safe... again, whatever makes you feel comfortable, but there are alternatives and you never know, one just might be better and more comfortable. Just saying.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Tickpol

Not really, but here's my logic. You always want to be as close as possible to your target. You can't get any closer than sitting without actually climbing in the bowl!

Being close reduces the possible drop zone in your target, it reduces the impact of the pendulum effect, it reduces the possible splash (although I put a layer of TP on the water to increase surface tension to reduce the splash), and finally you can't accidentally get anything on your clothes if they're nowhere near the drop zone.

Tickpol

I have lately discovered that the filter is as useful as a screen door on a submarine. The only value to filters is that they will prevent a blowout at the wafer. The downside is that the leak from the filter is only slightly less catastrophic.

My aftermarket gas valves arrive today. Unfortunately, also arriving are a month's worth of filtered pouches. On the plus side, I do have duct tape....LOL

Dave

warrior

I am going through some old post topics. I saw this and wanted to try to explain further to benefit wearing the pouch horizontally. My toilet is an ADA approved one. I think 17 inches high is the max, so that helps. I am 5 ft 11" so kinda tall to be squatting on it in regular or reverse fashion. Plus the knees... aren't working like when we were at age 25. My stoma is on my right where I believe all ilios are supposed to be. My bag horizontally wraps somewhat around my right hip where the opening of the bag held closed by Velcro lays. I use a stoma wrap which is wide. It has a pouch area to hold the pouch naturally. So I stand before the throne, facing it, lay the TP down, pull out the pouch from the wrap, slowly unfold it while taking aim. One hand holds the bag from swinging, the other unvelcros the strap, and it all falls out effortlessly. I do bend at the knee. I don't get into the toilet completely. I see what you meant, but the bag hangs down far enough where I don't have to kneel. Nothing gets "dirty" as I tilt myself forward to unload the contents. Always two hands, not allowing the bag to swing freely. No mess, and I have mastered it well. Maybe having the higher toilet helps or the longer bag, but horizontally emptying it is no problem, no issue thing. I hope you can try it and it improves your life a little. I just can't stand having it swing vertical or just be vertical. Pants, bending would be my complaint vertically speaking. Also, I should add, I am pretty much a solid output most of the time, so there is that plus. I know it's unusual, but I have been called worse, so I don't get the "high liquid output" of the other osties. Nope. So combining the height of the toilet, the length of the pouch, and the solid output, and going vertical all seems like the perfect match for me at least.