Secure Stoma Pouch Fastening: Tips & Alternatives?

Replies
Views
Gnomeo

Hi, on a few occasions now, the Velcro fasteners on my pouch have come undone. Twice while in public which was horrifyingly embarrassing and once, luckily as I was in the bathroom!!! I'm sure I'm not the only one this has happened to?. Does anyone know of any other fastening methods of stoma bags or indeed have any tips to prevent this please??

Surely there is a better, more secure way of our pouches staying fastened??

cbhines14

Hollister belt. I call it my bra strap.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,369 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

newyorktorque

My first set of bags did not have Velcro, just a clip on the bottom. The clip worked well but I found it too long for my tiny body, so instead I used a small binder clip on the bottom. Worked like a charm.

warrior

I have had the Velcro type for over two years and it never failed me. Of course, I am sure the little spikes (male and female) on them wear out, but I get almost two weeks out of mine and I never, ever had problems with them becoming undone. Something isn't right here. There are two strips or primary, then secondary strips... I can't see how they become undone unless they are defective or worn out. Perhaps too, you aren't squeezing them properly together??? Sometimes crap, really crap, gets in the way to secure this... so I don't have any other idea why this happens to you. I hated using the clip type and the Velcro was wonderful. You can always switch to a solid bag, but that also is very time-consuming to deal with... maybe switch to a different maker... keep us posted because this post was interesting to hear about. Thanks.

Bill

Hello Gnomeo. (Great name by the way!)

I rarely use bags anymore but when I did, I did not have problems with the velcro ones. However, among the many samples I was given, there was one which folded over several times and had some tabs on either side which folded over and kept the bag folds in position. It was so long ago that I cannot recall who the manufacturer was but I feel sure someone else will know. Or you could do what I did and contact as many manufacturers as possble and ask for samples. 

Best wishes

Bill

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
newyorktorque

That sounds like the Coloplast bags I currently use.

Tickpol

I do a procedure similar to closing a Ziploc bag, closing pouches with the Velcro-like closure. By pinching one side and then sliding the pinch across the length of the closure, you'd be surprised at how many places the closure could get tighter. You'll feel the little pops as they come together.

Dave

Beshlie

When the Velcro gets a bit weak, I use a 3" plastic freezer bag clip for security, and it has never failed me.

Past Member

Could it have been just a faulty batch? If you're worried about it happening, I think it's easier to try another brand or some roll lock closure systems....the old plastic slam down closures are still available, but the bags to use them on now are getting fewer and fewer, and the plastic closure clips can dig into you and be quite painful. I was pleased to see the back of them myself! I've been using Velcro closures for around 20 years since they first came out and never had a leak from them. I guess I'm just lucky....I do change my bag every 3 or 4 days, so I can see wearing them for longer could cause the Velcro to lose its grip.

Puppyluv56

I am thinking it may be a bad batch as well. I use Coplast pouches with the Velcro closure and have never had any issues. They are more than strong enough to last me almost 3 weeks.

Puppyluv

OU812

I use a Hollister pouch with Lock 'n Roll closure and have never had any problems with it coming undone; but I change mine every 4-5 days.

joe white_

GNOMEO: I have used Hollister pouches for 41 years. I have experienced your problem several times. My solution that has worked extremely well was to use a standard ConvaTec closure clip on my Hollister pouches. Hollister clips have a rather short life. ConvaTec clips seem to last forever.