Ileostomy and type 2 diabetes

In this discussion
Replies
Views
freedancer

Anyone have Type 2 Diabetes along with your ileostomy? After getting "Maxine" in July 2017 and then getting "New Maxine" in February of 2018, my Type 2 Diabetes disappeared completely. Now, a little over a year after New Maxine, it has reappeared. I am really disappointed about this as I was doing so well. For those of you who have this dual condition, do you see your blood sugar numbers go up and down all over the place? Also, since food processes much faster, how long after you eat should you take your sugar levels? I have to be on medication again and I absolutely told them no way was I going to take Metformin again given the fact that it can damage intestines. Any info you have for me would be great.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Xerxes

Yes, the removal of part of the small intestine as in an ileostomy can lead to a reversal of diabetes type 2. There are several reasons for this. These include the effect of shortening the length of the small intestine on the production of specific gut hormones that will affect glucose uptake (generally called incretins and anti-incretins) and hunger v. satiety. These, in turn, are affected by microbes in the gut, generally called the microbiome. Remove the gut, you remove part of the microbiome. A shorter gut means less sodium, which is needed for glucose absorption. Less sodium, less glucose absorption. Other factors include a neural circuit and circulating bile acids. All of these are affected by removing part of the small intestine and can obviously lead to a reduction and possible elimination of diabetes type 2. This is actually the basis for successful gastric bypass and Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgeries.

Xerxes

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate