Stem Cells for Colostomy Recovery: Any Experiences?

Replies
Views
Mar1

Hi everyone, question: my doctor has mentioned to me the use of stem cells to regrow sphincter muscle in the near future!! I see him next week, gonna ask for more details. Was just wondering if any of you guys' doctors had mentioned it to you?? He says it is in the near future!!!! Super exciting news!!!

w30bob

Hi Mar1,

Well, that's a new one to me. If we've figured out how to grow living tissue in any amount that could be useful, I'm all ears. And if we're growing muscle, I must have been asleep for some time now. Stem cells are being used more and more to augment existing cells in areas that have been damaged around cartilage and such, but the results have been mixed........which generally means we don't know what we're really doing, and sometimes it works.......and sometimes it doesn't. Will be anxious to hear back about what you find out from your Doc.

Thanks,

Bob

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Mar1. I too am relatively ignorant of developments in stem cell research, so would echo what Bob has said  and look forward to hearing more .

Best wishes

Bill

Past Member

You know more than I do about stem cells. I have heard about it, but didn't think it would be an option in the near future. But we live and learn. Look forward to hearing more about it. Hope you keep us updated on what your Dr says about it.

Puppyluv56

I would be very interested in the stem cell information as well. Just read yesterday that Brooks Koepka just had stem cell on his knee. He was back on the golf course in record time. Amazing stuff! Keep us posted as to what your doctor has to say.

Puppyluv

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
w30bob

Hi puppy,

Yeah, I'm aware of how they are using stem cells to repair damaged cartilage........a buddy of mine had stem cells injected into his hip a few months ago. He's seen a little benefit, but not full recovery. He's satisfied enough to try it again, but it seems how they work is what folks are still a little unclear on. But I've not heard of any instances where organs or muscles have been grown from stem cells. So this is a very exciting field that unfortunately for us is still in its infancy. Hopefully advances will come quickly and we the living can get some benefit and not just future generations.

Regards,

Bob

Puppyluv56

I hope it progresses quickly as well. So many new life-saving devices and technology, wish the cancer cure would get out there too! I always told my patients that their job was to live to the next new drug was FDA approved to eventually the last drug being the cure! It just does not come fast enough for most of us! 

So much controversy over stem cell but now I am thinking they can move on for the better of healthcare! 

Pup

KathyMac423

Wow!!!!! You just made my day!!! I'm also extremely interested. I'm not a candidate for a reversal ever! Pelvic floor therapy isn't even an option. I will research this too!

Thanks for posting this!

Kathy

w30bob

Hi Kath,

Yeah, it is an exciting field of medicine that's seeing a lot of activity. They basically draw your own blood, spin it down and remove the stem cells....and then inject it directly into the area that needs mending. The stem cells can apparently change into whatever cell types are needed in that area. If I'm not explaining this right, don't shoot me..........I'm just recalling what my friend told me when we were chatting about his hip treatment. I know others at work who've had similar things done and the results vary from 100% successful to no change. But it certainly is an area to watch. Let us know what you find out.

Regards,

Bob

KathyMac423

Will do!! Thanks again, Bob!!

charleston_sunny

I found this chat discussion today and wonder if anything new has come of regrowing sphincter muscle with stem cells. Is Mar1 still active?

I'm using some cool laser therapy that I was told can generate stem cells when used on your shins. I have that done a couple of times a week. I wasn't looking into it for helping my bottom issue, but more in the lines of treating cancer. There really hasn't been any research I'm aware of for stem cell therapy and colorectal cancer specifically. I'm researching trials now and have my Johns Hopkins medical staff on the lookout. But hey, cool stuff if stem cells can help colorectal cancer and sphincter issues...woohoo!

Happy Valentine's Day!!

Shannon

w30bob

Hi Shannon,

I think not, but could be wrong. I suspect that if any advancements in this area were made they'd be screaming from the rafters in an attempt to generate more interest (and funding). My buddy's results weren't very good in regards to his hip, which isn't to say he didn't see a small improvement.......but he needed a much bigger improvement to have been satisfied. He ended up having his hip replaced by conventional means and is looking forward to getting the other one done as soon as this one heals fully. I'd say find out who's leading the stem cell research field and contact them. Ya never know what they got cookin' in the lab.

Happy VD to you too! Hmmm....that doesn't sound too good.......but you know what I mean.

Regards,

Bob