New Solution for High Output Pouches: Stoma Container & Bulb Device

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses a new solution for managing high output pouches, involving a stoma container and bulb device.
Puppyluv56

Hi all,

Seems there are so many with high output ileostomies on here. I was just browsing a bit on the Ostomy conference this past summer. There is a long list of companies that were there offering assistance and showing their supplies. I came across something that made me think of all those with high output. It is a container that you put over your stoma that captures any output and then a bulb-looking device that is a sure press that somehow allows you to attach your pouch without the fear of output. Looks interesting and possibly a great fix. Have you guys ever heard of this?
puppyluv

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Puppyluv56

What do y'all think?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
w30bob

Hi puppy,

Well... look at that... it's a vacuum pump that collects your output while you change your barrier. Brilliant. That would be something to keep close when away from home with your barrier change hit. I will look into this!

Thanks,

Bob

newyorktorque

I'm not quite sure exactly how this is supposed to work, but I'm all for anything that makes things easier. Can this be used for both one-piece and two-pouch users?

w30bob

Hi T,

The way I understand it, you put the tube snugly over your stoma and it has an internal bag that collects anything that comes out of your stoma while you're changing your barrier. Once the tube is on, you clean your skin and prep for the new barrier. The new barrier slides over the tube, which is still collecting anything that's coming from your stoma, and you apply the barrier. Then you pop this tube off and stick on your bag......or if the tube diameter is smaller than your bag opening, you can leave the tube in place and snap the bag in place with the tube still in place and then pull the tube out the bag drain opening. This would allow it to work with both one and two-piece barriers. Definitely interesting.

Later,

Bob

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bill

Hello puppylove.

Thanks for this information, it looks very interesting. I'm afraid I could not quite follow the written description so I had a look on their website  STOMAGIENICS.COM and they have a self-explanatory video, which instantly made everything clear to me. 

Best wishes

Bill

Puppyluv56

Yes, the website is more helpful! I irrigate so I have no problem with this but just thought this was a stroke of genius for those that had high output, making barrier changes a challenge.
If anyone decides to venture out and get one, please let us know how well it works for you! Interesting!
Puppy

w30bob

Hi puppy,

I watched the 2 videos, but now I'm having my doubts about this product. I don't think it works by holding a vacuum inside the tube... I think it just has an absorbent towel in it to absorb any output. This would probably work for someone who has occasional spurts of output, but I don't think it could hold the amount of output I have when I'm dumping my bile accumulation in the morning, when I change my barrier, or my almost continual output during the day. In the video they remove the tube to attach the bag. If I had output at this time I'd have to stop and clean the seal on the barrier that the bag clips into... and while I was doing that I'd have more output... so it wouldn't help much.

Now if the tube held a vacuum and was "L" shaped I could hold the tube in place while I installed the barrier and then slide my bag over the tube and snap it into place before I remove the tube and take it out through the drain opening at the bottom of the bag. Certainly an interesting idea, but probably isn't for me.

Regards,

Bob

Puppyluv56

Good research, Bob.
I irrigate, so when I change barriers, it is after irrigation and I shower with no pouch or barrier because there is no output at all.
I cannot imagine what it would be like to have that constant output! Sounds like there is an opportunity for some of those out there that design their own gadgets......Bill, to come up with something like that that does meet your needs! Never know what new innovative supplies are around the corner. I saw a website of an Ostomate that designed a pouch that drains from the bottom but opens at the top as well so you can rinse it out easier when draining! That would be so much easier!

Puppyluv

Bill

Hello Puppyluv. 

The pouch you talk, with openings at both ends sounds exactly like the drainage tube/sleeve we use for irrigation. It's long enough to drain into the toilet from a standing position and it folds up (and down) to make a pouch when needed. I wear mine overnight, just in case of output and I have not had any problems with it. Because I designed my own baseplates, I included a small length of pipe which protrudes about an inch into the sleeve. To this I can easily attach (or detach) an adapted  90% waste bend, which guides any output down into the sleeve and prevents pancaking around the stoma. I realise that what I have made for  myself will not be suitable for everyone's needs, but it has been good for me for about two years now and I have not yet figured out any way to improve on it. 

Best wishes

Bill

Puppyluv56

Yes, Bill, it is similar but smaller to be worn as a pouch. I do irrigate and use the long sleeves for that but once had that clip break so never wearing that around the house again. This has Velcro on the bottom and the tabs on the top! 
Puppyluv