Need suggestions for hernia belt for para-stomal hernia

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses recommendations and experiences with hernia belts for para-stomal hernias.
mdq58

Folks,

Suggestions please. I've developed a para-stomal hernia. Any suggestions on a hernia belt would be much appreciated. I wear the Convatec 1 1/4 inch Surfit Flexible product. Saw a surgeon yesterday, he's not inclined to do surgery and I'd like to keep it that way. Thanks in advance.

Mike Q

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Cplumber

There is a company called Nu-Hope Laboratories that makes a really good hernia belt. I wear them daily. They're available on Amazon or through your medical supplier. They have ones they stock, and they can customize anything you want.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

Hello Mike Q. 

You do not say what type of stoma you have. There are so many hernia belts on the market, it might be difficult to choose. However, If you have a colostomy, I would strongly suggest you look into the possiblity of irrigation, as this would mean no bags and the chance to use a different type of hernia belt to apply pressure directly to the herna site (rather than having to cater for a bag). I use a hernia belt by CUI and over my clothes I have an inverted belt and buckle which indents the stoma and hernia to keep it from gettting worse. I hope you find a solution to your problem soon.

bBst wishes

Bill

newyorktorque

Hi MDQ, I do not have a hernia but by way of your post and other sites I belong to, I am finding a number of folks with hernias and ostomies. I wanted to bring it up here as a lot of ostomates I am finding are opting out of hernia repairs. I don't know much about them, but I am hearing things like cutting through the abdominal wall (if that's how they do it) can invite more adhesions and additional hernias. I truly do not know if this is accurate, but I am seeing this often now. I would also guess it depends on the severity of the hernia as well. I hope it's not affecting you too much and can find some relief. Also, if you would like, I can reference some of the other support sites. Just drop me a message.

mdq58

Bill,

Thanks much. I've had an ileostomy since 1976 - I'm 62 now. The current herbicides do not protrude. It showed up on a CT scan.

Thanks much

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
mdq58

My doctor does not recommend a surgical repair. I have an appointment with his assistant on 18 Dec. Currently, the hernia does not protrude. It was discovered in a CT scan. Thanks for your advice and concern.