Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
28,358 members
Next >

Coloplast vs Convatec.......I called them today

 
This is the best website for people with an Ostomy. So much understanding.

Hi Gang,

Ok, so because I continue to have skin condition problems with the Hollister ostomy products I use I called both Convatec and Coloplast this morning to describe my issues and have them send me some samples of what they think I should try. Before I called I made a list of my current Hollister products (ring/barrier/bag) and wrote an outline describing my issues, the shape of my stoma, how I prep my skin and how I apply my barrier/bag. I wanted to make sure I gave each company the same info so I could compare my conversations with the two of them and their recommendations. Let's just say it didn't go quite the way I expected it to.

I called Convatec first. The person I talked to spent about 15 minutes reviewing my situation thoroughly before she handed me off to one of their ostomy nurses. I then spent another 15 or 20 minutes with her talking about everything related to my ostomy. She ended saying she was sending me a number of barrier/bag combinations and she'd get them in the mail today and would then talk to me again once I receive my samples and have questions. About an hour later I got a FedEx notification that a package was headed my way.

So far so good. Then I called Coloplast and it was a little different. The person who took my call asked me the basics about my ostomy and the products I'm currently using from Hollister. He wasn't very interested in the details of my skin issues, but I figured when he transferred me to their ostomy nurse we'd cover that........except there was no talk with an ostomy nurse. The guy I'd been talking to simply told me he got the info he needed and was sending out some samples and I'd get them sometime next week. He didn't say what he was sending, and I haven't got any kind of shipping validation. But that was the end of the call. Took 10 minutes max.

I'll just say I expected the Coloplast call to mirror the Convatec call and it didn't. Doesn't mean one's products are better than the others, and I'm going to use the products that work for me, regardless of communication differences.. All this said, I'm wondering if any of you guys have had similar experiences when talking to both companies?

Thanks,

Bob

 

Hey Bob.  I'm a little disappointed myself to hear about your call with Coloplast as those are the only bags I wear.  I have a couple of different one piece coloplast bags if you ever want to try those just let me know.

MeetAnOstoMate - 28,358 members
 

Hello Bob.

Thanks for the feedback on your telephone  calls. I cannot comment on Convatec because I don't use their products. However, whenever I have called Coloplast, they have been very helpful. I suppose it depends very specifically who is on the other end of the phone.  Coloplast have their own distribution setup over here called 'Charter Healthcare' and they too have been very helpful over the years.

Do let us know how you get on with the actual products!

Best wishes

Bill 


 

Wow!!! You just described (practically verbatim) my same experience 2 years ago. Called the same 2 companies because I was disappointed in Hollister. Identical experiences in professionalism and courtesy. I was using Hollister because that is what I was given in the hospital. My only regret was I waited a year to make that phone call and realize there is a major difference in products.

 
newyorktorque wrote:

Hey Bob.  I'm a little disappointed myself to hear about your call with Coloplast as those are the only bags I wear.  I have a couple of different one piece coloplast bags if you ever want to try those just let me know.


Hi Torquey,

  Thanks for the offer.  I think because of the oval shape of my stoma (which means I need a very wide barrier area around the stoma) there's only one or two specific barriers that each company can send.  So I probably need someting bigger than you use.  But let me see what they send me and then I'll get back with you.  Thanks again.

regards,

bob

 

Hi Bob that about sums it up with my experience with those companies, before i had resection surgery last year i was having all kinds of problems as my stoma was recedeing into my stomach and the opening was at skin level and i wanted to try the base plates with convexity  convatec was very helpful and did follow up a month later not coloplast.

 

Hi Gang,

  Got a box of supplies delivered by FedEx today from Convatec!  How's that for speedy service.....I just called them on Wednesday (today is Friday).  Will check out what they sent me later.  I'd say someone wants me as a customer badly.  

regards,

bob

 

I think in the beginning , Convetec and Coloplast communicated very well. Once I had an issue with the Coloplast irrigation sleeve not fitting into the flange, I called my personal rep and he dodged my calls. Probably because I was pissed but he never called back. Come to find out, they don't make a sleeve to fit the flange I was using. How dumb is that to make a product but not make all the accessories. All he had to do was tell me that! He sent me some one use stick on sleeves! Not! So as much as I like the Coloplast pouch, ( hate the click system) I have moved back to Convetec because they complete the system and are helpful! Coloplast's lack of communication skills are costing them business! Sad! 
Puppyluv

 

Hi Pup,

 Yeah, it is interesting that two competing companies deal with potential customers so differently.  The Convatec box was on my doorstep in less than 2 days and one of those days was Thanksgiving.  I haven't heard anything from Coloplast in terms of tracking info, informed delivery notice....nothing.  Not a big deal, I expect to find a box on the front step when I get home tonight after work.......but I would just think these guys would be so competetive as to appear identical to the consumer.  We'll see.

later,

bob

 
w30bob wrote:

Hi Pup,

 Yeah, it is interesting that two competing companies deal with potential customers so differently.  The Convatec box was on my doorstep in less than 2 days and one of those days was Thanksgiving.  I haven't heard anything from Coloplast in terms of tracking info, informed delivery notice....nothing.  Not a big deal, I expect to find a box on the front step when I get home tonight after work.......but I would just think these guys would be so competetive as to appear identical to the consumer.  We'll see.

later,

bob


You would think they would be. They may just be using snail mail too. I am as unimpressed with the reps at Coloplast you are. They do make a good product though.  Have to give them that. The pouch is so much more durable and I love the drainable pouch closure. 
Good luck in getting your delivery. Hope it is before the new year! Lol

Pup

 

Hi guys,

  My package from Coloplast came today (Tuesday). Turns out both companies sent me barriers that are too small. Soooooo will call them in a few hours when they open and try again. Ughhhh!

Later,

Bob

  


 

I've had similar issues with all of these companies. The biggest issue is Hollister is the only company that makes a flange large enough for my stoma so my choices are limited to them. Just wish they hadn't changed their product because I never had issues with the old style. The "new and improved" version is not working for me! Anyway I'll end my rant. Good luck to you and I hope you find something that works for you!

 
Castandblast73 wrote:

I've had similar issues with all of these companies. The biggest issue is Hollister is the only company that makes a flange large enough for my stoma so my choices are limited to them. Just wish they hadn't changed their product because I never had issues with the old style. The "new and improved" version is not working for me! Anyway I'll end my rant. Good luck to you and I hope you find something that works for you!


I couldnt do hollister because they didnt work for me and they didnt make a large enough cut to fit bag for me.  Convatec and Coloplast make the largest cut to fit in the one piece style so I would imagine they may have something large for the two piecers.

 

Hi Torque,

  Not sure what you mean by "large enough cut".  I called both companies this morning.  Coloplast actually answered and said they'd send out some bigger barriers and a belt, as their barriers use a different belt latch system than my Hollister belt.  Took almost until noon to get ahold of someone at Convatec.  I explained that I needed a bigger barrier than what they sent............and the guy told me they didn't have anything bigger than 2 1/4 inch cut to fit.  I said ok, I'll try what you sent me, but could you send me a belt.......as my belt doesn't work with your latches.  He did a long "ummmmm" and said no, they didn't stock any belts for samples, so it would have to be ordered, and he couldn't do that.  So..........Convatec samples headed to the round bin..........anybody want them? 

  I also have to add that the Convatec bags have what has to be the stupidest latch at the bottom of the bag that I've ever seen.  You have to roll the bottom of the bag up like fifteen times and then press on two pieces of fake plastic velcro and hope like hell it holds.  The velcro patent expired years ago........just use Velcro.  Oh well.........I would have used my Hollister bag clamp on it instead.  Ya know........I'm starting to remember why I didn't investigate other systems instead of my Hollister stuff all this time.  

 Ok, enough bitchin' for now.  

Later,

bob

 

Bob,

i have lots of Convetec belts if you would like one. I get one in every irrigation kit and do not use them. All the Convetec stuff locks together! I have had to use them with Coloplast products when irrigating because Coloplast does not make an irrigation sleeve to fit my flange. Dumb huh? 
surprisingly, the bottom plastic Velcro works well and has never given me any problems, although I love the Velcro on the bottom of the Coloplast pouches. Only problem, I hate the click system.  Never seems to want to lock and you cannot burp for gas very easily! Wish they made the "super pouch" with all the good parts and none of the bad! 
Pup

 

I've found that Convatec really does have great customer service. The problem for me is their wafers are the absolute worst on my skin, literally have weeping rashes within 24 hours of applying. I will say when I was trying Coloplast Mio and not having success, I was able to contact them and they provided me step by step instructions on how to use the Mio product and they were spot on. Mio by far has been the best on my skin between Coloplast, Convatec, and Hollister.

 

Hi Aaron,

Just curious......what were you doing wrong when using the Mio that they corrected when you talked to them?

Thanks,

Bob

 
w30bob wrote:

Hi Torque,

  Not sure what you mean by "large enough cut".  I called both companies this morning.  Coloplast actually answered and said they'd send out some bigger barriers and a belt, as their barriers use a different belt latch system than my Hollister belt.  Took almost until noon to get ahold of someone at Convatec.  I explained that I needed a bigger barrier than what they sent............and the guy told me they didn't have anything bigger than 2 1/4 inch cut to fit.  I said ok, I'll try what you sent me, but could you send me a belt.......as my belt doesn't work with your latches.  He did a long "ummmmm" and said no, they didn't stock any belts for samples, so it would have to be ordered, and he couldn't do that.  So..........Convatec samples headed to the round bin..........anybody want them? 

  I also have to add that the Convatec bags have what has to be the stupidest latch at the bottom of the bag that I've ever seen.  You have to roll the bottom of the bag up like fifteen times and then press on two pieces of fake plastic velcro and hope like hell it holds.  The velcro patent expired years ago........just use Velcro.  Oh well.........I would have used my Hollister bag clamp on it instead.  Ya know........I'm starting to remember why I didn't investigate other systems instead of my Hollister stuff all this time.  

 Ok, enough bitchin' for now.  

Later,

bob


Coloplast one piece cut to fit up to 4" and for the two piecers flange cut to fit 2 3/4" and 3 1/2 ".  Those are the biggest I found so far through a catalog that has just about everything Coloplast except for the starfish.

 

Hi NYT,

  Yeah, I also found those larger 1-piece barriers in their catalog, but they were flat, not convex.  It seems the largest convex barriers are the ones they sent me. Not sure why they don't make a bigger 1-piece barrier in convex.  Are the ones you're talking about convex or flat?

Thanks,

Bob

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.
All times are GMT - 5 Hours