Endurance Testing: Hollister 18113 Ostomy Bag - 11 Days

Replies
Views
w30bob

Answer to what? The number of licks it takes to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?

Nope. It's the number of days a high-output ostomate can get out of a Hollister 18113 ostomy bag! And it's eleven.

I've been endurance testing my Holly bag to see how long it would last and what the failure mode would be. This way I could be prepared while out in the wild. I wasn't surprised, but wasn't really expecting it to give up the ghost so soon. I'm pretty tough on bags, so I'd rate its performance as decent, and know not expect miracles in the future. It failed at the bottom of the bag where the plastic insert for the roll and press Velcro closure is bonded to the plastic bag. Just too many cycles by yours truly. I'd suspect someone with less frequent output, or a colostomy would see significantly longer wear time.

But what was really interesting was that after I saw where it failed I went and looked at the pile of used bags I have in my experiment box and noticed they were all showing stress at the same point my bag leaked. And most of those bags only had 3 or 4 days on them. So I learned a lot and will now use these retired bags in my color change experiment. I was looking for some volunteers and now I found them.

Guess the old adage 'nothing lasts forever' is still intact, but to be fair......what I experimented with was never supposed to in the first place. Onward with the experiments!

Tennessee Tuxedo will NOT fail!

;O)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvFzOgK-V9E

AlexT

Did you change your lifestyle at all during the experiment?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bob 48

That's where my bags, also Hollister, usually fail first too. I'm ready to change my appliance before then anyways so it doesn't bother me much.

w30bob
Reply to AlexT

Nope. That would take an act of God........or Congress to do that!

;O)

w30bob
Reply to Bob 48

Hi Bob,

Yeah, I hear you. I'm liking the roll and lock or whatever they call the closure system, compared to the old archaic plastic clip... but was hoping for a bit more durability. But like you said, I change my bag every 4th or 5th day, so it's adequate as is. Just means the old bags I'm saving for when the nukes hit the Hollister factory, or the world comes to an end, won't get me as far as I hoped. Gonna have to start stockpiling new stuff now instead. Then again, if the whole world goes to shit... I doubt anyone will care if I got crap running down my leg. Guess it's all about perspective, eh?

;O)

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Ostomate & woundr

Well, as I said, none of them last forever, but 11 days seems like damn good wear time to me. I recently got eight days out of mine and showered three times during that period. During the fourth shower on the 8th day, I did notice the beginnings of a leak, and I always like to get to them (leaks) before they get to the outer edge of the wafer. Anything that is no longer sealed at the edge of the stoma tends to digest my skin with enzymes that are designed to break down protein, as well as the stomach acid that hasn't had a chance to buffer in the colon.