Stoma Revision: Surgery Experience and Some Challenges

Replies
Views
Tickpol

I had my stoma revision surgery Tuesday.

The pluses:

There were no surprises.

No real pain, or at least nothing any worse than when your output compromises your wafer and you get that lovely burning sensation.

I do have a sensation of a change in structural integrity in the area so I'm getting used to the new sensations (yay).

My stoma isn't the much vaunted rosebud but it is a little above the surface now. The opening used to be about what you'd expect from a 9mm hit and now it's a honking .45.

My stoma output is thicker (but that's subject to change) and gas output is less (also subject to change).

The minuses:

I didn't see the ostomy nurse.

They didn't give me even a couple of pouches to tide me over until I could order some the right size. Luckily I never throw out an unused pouch and I had a couple of larger/trimmable ones laying around.

Heck they didn't tell me what size my stoma was now so I had to wait for pouch change to measure it myself.

Luckily my work lets me work from home so instead of blowing a week's worth of leave next week I can pick up a few hours each day.

Dave

Bill

Hello Dave.

Thanks for updating us on yur situation. Overall it sound quite positive for the first few days and lets hope it continues that way so that you can have a relatively 'normal' life from now on.

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
w30bob

Dave,

Glad to hear the news! So are you saying they did the revision on Tuesday (2 days ago) and you're home already? How long was the operation and what were you expecting for the outcome? Really don't know anything about revision surgery, but am interested in what it all entails.

Thanx,

Bob

Puppyluv56

Dave,

With all the possibilities of what goes on in a revision, to my understanding anyway, never had one, you seem to be doing very well! Glad to hear and you are home already! Sounds as if they just kicked you to the curb you were doing so well! Shame on them for not taking care of your supply needs. That ole Boy Scout/Girl Scout in us has paid off time and time again! Continue to progress as well you have so far and keep us posted! Especially with dos and don't in the event we have to go there too!
Puppyluv

Tickpol

Thanks!

For me, it goes from the sublime to the ridiculous!

Hopefully, surgery 21 is the charm! LOL

Dave

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
britathrt60

Dave, I am so happy to hear that your revision surgery went well....and...Wow, to being out of the hospital already...take it easy while you are recovering...best wishes to you...cheers!

Ange

lovely

Hi Dave, so happy to hear you are doing so well. Hope you continue to improve. Thanks for keeping us updated. Best wishes.

kstyle

Hi Dave!

I too am interested in all that is involved with a revision. I am looking into scheduling a revision surgery in 2020. Unfortunately, the surgeon who did mine originally is a complete tool and it hasn't functioned "properly" (in my mind) since day one..... but that is a whole looooooong story in itself. In my mind, it shouldn't be that difficult to "lengthen" it, but I'm not a doctor. I guess I will just stick to crunching numbers.

Looking forward to hearing the ins and outs of the procedure!

K

Tickpol

The revision itself is a pretty straightforward procedure. For me, they trimmed back the abdomen and reattached the stoma. I will admit that it does feel different. My structural integrity is off, and I've taken to wearing a support belt to help the heal.

Surprisingly, I hardly ever get gas in my pouch now... Go figure....

Dave