Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Dating 20,682 members

Bowel movement frequency changed two weeks after surgery

Posted by temp ostomy, on Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:01 pm

i am 2 weeks post surgery with a temporary colostomy.  the first 2 weeks bowel movements not very firm and required bag 'dumps' 2 to 3 times a day.  all of a sudden slowed down to 1 a day.  Normal?  not experiencing any pain or discomfort.  could it be change in diet?  not really sure what is best. doctor says follow normal diet.

Reply by Mtnman, on Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:23 pm

Hi there temp ostomy, did the doctor say anything about taking mirlax? Or any instructions? I do know that the bowels after surgery take a while before they start working again. Just follow the doctor's instructions. 

Reply by temp ostomy, on Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:29 pm
Mtnman wrote:

Hi there temp ostomy, did the doctor say anything about taking mirlax? Or any instructions? I do know that the bowels after surgery take a while before they start working again. Just follow the doctor's instructions. 

i don't recall any info on mirilax.  i have a call into the dr now, just hate bothering him IF normal  ;)  I guess if i was experiencing pain i would be more urgent in knowing - movement has NOT stoppd, just slowed.

Reply by Mtnman, on Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:49 pm

Hi temp ostomy there are no dumb questions when you're dealing with your health post surgery. 

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:02 pm

I have always been told that your bowels should get back to how they were prior to surgery. If it was solid before, it should be solid afterward. I am not sure that is for everyone. Your Doctor or Ostomy care nurse can give you better info. Never hesitate to ask them questions! You could solve some issues prior to them becoming serious!
Puppyluv

Reply by weewee, on Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:36 am
temp ostomy wrote:
Mtnman wrote:

i don't recall any info on mirilax.  i have a call into the dr now, just hate bothering him IF normal  ;)  I guess if i was experiencing pain i would be more urgent in knowing - movement has NOT stoppd, just slowed.

hello just take your time introduce foods slowly to see how you react to them. mainly if your passing poop or gas your doing good its when it stops working  dont waste time you dont want to cause infections they suck

Reply by temp ostomy, on Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:08 pm

clearly was something i ate, cuz now, back to 'overload' ;)  

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:50 pm
temp ostomy wrote:

clearly was something i ate, cuz now, back to 'overload' ;)  

Sometimes it is a matter of be careful what you wish for? Lol

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.