Bowel movements changed after surgery. Is this normal?

Replies
Views
temp ostomy

I am 2 weeks post-surgery with a temporary colostomy. The first 2 weeks, bowel movements were not very firm and required bag 'dumps' 2 to 3 times a day. All of a sudden, it slowed down to 1 a day. Is this normal? I am not experiencing any pain or discomfort. Could it be a change in diet? I'm not really sure what is best. The doctor says to follow a normal diet.

Past Member

Hi there Temp Ostomy, did the doctor say anything about taking Miralax? Or any instructions? I do know that the bowels after surgery take a while before they start working again. Just follow the doctor's instructions.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,374 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

temp ostomy

I don't recall any info on Miralax. I have a call into the doctor now, just hate bothering him if normal. I guess if I was experiencing pain I would be more urgent in knowing - movement has not stopped, just slowed.

Past Member

Hi, Temp Ostomy. There are no dumb questions when you're dealing with your health post-surgery.

Puppyluv56

I have always been told that your bowels should get back to how they were prior to surgery. If it was solid before, it should be solid afterward. I am not sure that is for everyone. Your doctor or ostomy care nurse can give you better info. Never hesitate to ask them questions! You could solve some issues prior to them becoming serious!
Puppyluv

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
weewee

Hello, just take your time to introduce foods slowly to see how you react to them. Mainly, if you're passing poop or gas, you're doing good. It's when it stops working, don't waste time. You don't want to cause infections. They suck.

temp ostomy

Clearly, it was something I ate, because now, back to 'overload' ;)

Puppyluv56

Sometimes it is a matter of being careful what you wish for? Lol