Seeking advice on pouch filters for ileostomy bags

In this discussion
Replies
Views
britathrt60

Hi all

Has anyone on here with an ileostomy ever used bags that have filters? Do they release the air so the bag doesn't blow up? I was thinking of trying some but not sure if, because of high output and mostly liquid contents, it may cause seeping through the filter.... Thanks in advance.... Ange

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,104 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Longroad78

I use the Coloplast Mio two-piece system that has the charcoal filter, but it is hit or miss when it comes to releasing the extra pressure from the bag. The issue you will run into with the filtered bags is once the filter starts to get wet, it will start to release the smell of the contents. A little tape to cover the filter will buy some time if you are in a place where changing it out is not an option. Normally, I can get 2-4 days out of the bag because of the filter getting wet, but that is why I use a two-piece system.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
britathrt60

Thanks, Longroad. I'm not sure they would work for me...

w30bob

Hi Ange,

I looked into bags with filters/vents but didn't think that would work well with my mostly liquid output when I slept on my back or side. I don't think you want the filter/vent constantly exposed to liquid or it will saturate the membrane. But maybe others who use them can speak to it better than I can. If you're not looking for a way to automatically release gas, maybe this might help.....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.shopostomysupplies.com/ar-how-to-prevent-excess-gas-accumulating-in-your-ostomy-pouch.html&ved=2ahUKEwjCk5rv1rTnAhXLhXIEHbA3DdwQFjAAegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw0LZ6tUtZPaZaMdKIoTOpG8

Regards,

Bob

Bill

Hello Ange.

There is an alternative to bags with built-in vents and they are called OSTO-EZ-VENT.  I sent for some samples and they worked reasonably well.  They are a simple device like you might have on a blow-up camping bed (but much smaller) this simply attaches to whatever bag you are using. The people who sent me samples were a British company but I'm not sure if they were just distributers. I feel sure you can Google them to view the product online. 

Best wishes

Bill

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Cplumber

I have an ileostomy and tried bags with filters. But like everyone else, as soon as the filter got wet, it didn't work. I do use the easy vents and they work well, still get the smells.

Good luck

Chris

Axl

Hello

I use Braun Flexima Convex, doesn't smell and only recall a few times at night when it has ballooned up. I suspect as the filter has been submerged from being horizontal while sleeping?

But during the day, no ballooning at all and has absolutely never leaked from the filter or been any odor, but then again maybe it's just the way my body works.

britathrt60

Thanks everyone for all the really good info... The OSTO EZ VENTS look like they may work, but where would you attach them onto the bag...the link Bob sent mentioned them but didn't actually say how to attach them...I will definitely check them out...Thanks again...Ange

EZ VENT

PETey.13

Yes, hit and miss! It is the same for the 3 main brands. Also, I just don't eat after 7 PM; and no dairy for supper.

warrior

Hi Ange. I have used these and recommend them. They attach to the upper part of your pouch, almost in line with your stoma. I will send you the instructions from home. Basically, you make a small incision in the bag and use the self-adhesive tabs to secure it. Yeah, it's like a tape-on thing. It's a vent, not a filter. It saves you the trouble of separating the bag from the wafer when you purge. It's neat. Very tiny hole with a plug. Sometimes it does clog. I use a toothpick to unclog it.

Puppyluv56

Hey guys,

I use Convatec and Coloplast two-piece pouch systems with filters. They are basically good until the first time you get any output on it. Then you have to use the little tapes they send you for showering for the rest of the time you wear the pouch. At least with Convatec pouches, I can burp the bag. They now have a peep hole so I can peek in to be sure there is no poo up around there. (I have done that in the middle of the night before, what a disaster)

Coloplast click system is too difficult to burp. I have pretty much quit wearing them and unfortunately, with the exception of the click system, they are the much better pouch. Maybe I should order some vents for those pouches.
At least I would wear them.

Good luck!

Puppy

Suzzie

I use Hollister's new image closed pouch with a filter, and I never get gas. It works perfectly for me.

warrior

It is probably safe to say most filters do an excellent job of venting and reducing smell.. when you are walking or maybe even sitting.. (wheelchair) however with high liquid output I can see the filter rendered useless. And laying down for bed... nope.. ain't gonna work.. once the filter gets wet, whether showering, or pooping, that's it... game over..

Now these e-z vents are decent to help relieve the gas build up.. easy to install.. only thing is venting in public restroom, would mean you need your portable poop pori cause it does nothing to hide the smell. You might as well think of it as farting in an elevator. Cough cough..

Burping your bag refers to opening the top end of it to relieve your gas. (The click type mio sucks for that...) Can't do that laying down and even with the e-z vent, you gotta do it standing up...not in bed. So there are pros and cons. But you will adjust.. whatever works for you..

I agree, don't eat after 8pm.. or eat anything you know is gonna wake you up in the middle of the night in terms of gas and output.. but some folks can't control their output.. all they can do is catch it in the bag. Now when I say control, everyone knows the marshmallow trick, right? Food that binds you may help you get a good night's sleep.. then again so can a pill or pot.

Wish there was a machine of sorts.. a suction machine with its own filter.. at bedside.... and a long tube to suck the smell out of the bag. But who can sleep with this contraption? And suppose it creates a vacuum? Tricky shit there folks.

So we got filters that help to a degree... and e-z vent purging valve.. there's the old purge at top of bag.. am I missing anything here??

Warrior

warrior

Hi Suzzie,

Welcome.

Please explain how you never do get gas? The filter eases the gas with no smell from the charcoal, right? So you do get gas, but the filter is doing its job properly. No ballooning. No smell.

You got the Midas touch then, dear.

Warrior

Homie With A Stomie NS

Hi Brit...I am an ileo and like you, mostly liquidy output sometimes thicker depending on the menu...I only use bags with filters thus far, only Coloplast...they still balloon but not as often and you can feel it before it's a blimp lol....I use a filter sticker over it only when I shower between changes....I have not noticed smell either but certainly know by stoma activity it's farting and bag not filling....give it a try Hollister and them all have filter bags, request a free sample from them and Coloplast....try before you buy!!!!! Hugs mate....

Tracy