Colonoscopy Mishap: Scoping Through the Stoma Gone Wrong

Replies
Views
warrior

I just read a post from a woman in California dated 2013. It was labeled "Nightmare Colonoscopy.". Two words you don't ever wanna hear being put together. If you can find that thread, take a look at what she went through. Maybe I am crazy or just misunderstood it BUT.......

As I read through what she typed and others commenting, I simply could not believe the red flags prior to it happening... my first clue that caught my attention was she had an ileo and was getting a colonoscopy and being prepped for the colonoscopy by drinking that God-awful fluid you have to drink.. all prep before a colonoscopy scheduled the next day.

Prepping for a colonoscopy when you have an ileo? And no colon? I thought the word play or terminology was off but as I read more, I became distraught: this woman, who freely admits she had
"100's of colonoscopies prior to the ileo, thought nothing was wrong while she took the prep the night before the procedure.??? WHAT?.

How is this even possible to get a colonoscopy without a colon?? Well.... as she explained to the O.R nurse that day of procedure, the nurse caught it.. and answered it..

The room was booked for a colonoscopy and when the nurse found out the woman drank the prep and was supposed to undergo the procedure, she realized the scoping that needed to be done was through the stoma not colon. AND needed a different room. REALLY?? Note to patient- WHAAAAAAT were YOU thinking? Note to nurse- Good catch! Note to Doctor- medical degree from BKU? Burger King University?

They held the procedure up for 4 hours to get an ok from her insurance to do this "stoma scope" (for lack of the professional term). And then went ahead doing the stoma scope. Which led to some serious problems afterwards.

Since the thread was over 7 yrs old I didn't answer there. One or two of you had replied to her and it was puzzling to me how a patient, versed in colonoscopies, even allowed this to happen and not object or question something wrong with this picture.. hmm... Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, huh?

Now what remains to be said is whether her use of the term "colonoscopy" was correct....the procedure was correct and if she thought this was actually gonna happen..??? It seems the O.R. thought so, and even her doctor thought so- he scheduled it!! Good Lord! Up her butt with a six-foot scope?? .

((hmm ))

I think this poor woman suffered gravely, indeed. But to fault the doctor or hospital? Maybe a little bit however... How in the world could anyone with an ileo consider allowing a doctor-- now get this.. a doctor who never even bothered seeing her before, during or after the entire ordeal -- to do this to them??

Red flags anyone? The thread began and ended in 2013. Not a word since.

One has to be their own advocate. No way should this woman or anyone have had to go through this nonsense. Talk about miscommunication!

The doctor did not consult this patient. Would you even allow a doctor/surgeon to touch you at this point?

The patient may have misunderstood and was actually going to get a stoma scope. Which makes no sense since the doctor ordered prep for colonoscopy. And insurance allowed it. But makes sense to drink the fluid prep.. for either procedure.. sooooo the plot thickens.....

Could the staff in OR wheeled her into the wrong room? Nahh.

Doesn't anyone speak to the patient prior being rolled into the O.R.? Oops!

Didn't anyone see the box checked- current meds, current medical conditions? Hmm.

The Doctor tore the stoma leaving a cut halfway round it with the instrument to enlarge the stoma. She wore her wafer. Which actually caused the tear from enlarging it from the outside.

I get sig-scopes yearly cause I still have a stump...and IBD in there..... no one touches my stoma. ( or my butterfinger ) I am not knocked out for the procedure, in fact, I watch the monitor as the doc does his thing. ( later I ask for flowers and candy)

I do not get what happened to her, why it happened to her nor understand the reason for a stoma scope in general.?

Someone enlighten me?

Fact is the doctor WAS GOING TO DO a colonoscopy on a noncolon patient ( stupid stupid man) and the patient almost allowed it to happen without a peep. In America.. In California.. 2013.

I thought Endoscopy (through the mouth) was the procedure and safest to access the small intestine? A friend of mine is going through this exact procedure this week!

So here's to PATIENTS and doctors and nurses that make you go HMMMMMM. Whaaaaat??

Warrior

Bill

Hello warrior.

Thanks for the reminder of that past post. If I recall correctly, there have been a number of 'nightmare' scenarios reported on here. and they do eventually get lost in the midst of overlaying new posts on old. Perhaps we should have a special section for them so that they are always up--to-date, as they are surely relevant  today as they were back then. We should all be able to learn from past mistakes, so that we can make sure this sort of history does not repeat itself. 

Best wishes

Bill  

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,360 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

britathrt60

OMG what a bunch of stupid negligent doctors and nurses....I have an ileostomy and did have a scope done through my stoma...they put the prep in and the scope was done without any problem..We ostomates always have to be proactive when it comes to doctors....they have to be reminded when giving medications because extended-release tablets do not work for ileostomies because they pop out in the bag before releasing the med...I have had the same family doc for 16 years and always have to remind him of my ileo before he prescribes any meds...because they can't see it, they forget it is there.

Ange

Puppyluv56

OMG! That is all I can think of to say!
Give me a sec.... I will have to go find that post. Nightmare at the best! Sometimes people think the Dr. is always right.
Not true. They are human too. Thank God for the OR Nurse.

Hope that guy has good malpractice insurance. He's going to need it!

Pup

Past Member

In the UK, I've known bowel prep to be sent out at times by mistake (x-ray department not reading letter from Dr properly and just presuming you have a colon) when you're having an ileoscopy as I call it (not sure if that's the correct word). I would always advise anyone and have done that's sent bowel prep to phone the x-ray department and tell them you have an ileostomy so they can pass the message on to the Dr doing the procedure for their advice. I have a scope through my stoma annually. I have FAP and as a result of that, I have polyps that need checking to ensure they're not turning malignant. The scope is completely pain-free, no sedation needed. The scope won't go in any further than 24 inches at the most, usually not even that far. I just go 5 hours without eating before having it, no prep needed.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
NJ Bain

I have never heard of getting a scope of an ileostomy stoma. I would think the opening is too small for a scope and a high risk of bowel perforation. However, I have had a colonoscopy on my rectal stump.

Bain

warrior

Hi NJ Bain. You and I are in the same boat. With a stump. It's called a sig scope, not a colonoscopy. No sedation. But they make a federal project out of it. Long time ago, it was done in doctors' office. Now it's a big deal. Clinic or hospital? Are you kidding me? I think the money maker here is the video of the rectum. Yes, people do get their small bowel scoped. Such a small entrance point too. Urologist goes up your pee shooter with no problems, right? Looking for stones, so yeah, I can understand the ileo scope. Warrior

Past Member

Just as safe as other scopes, always a small risk of perforation as with all scopes. I've had about 20 through my stoma over the years and never had any problems... it's the only scope I look forward to. Lol, I'm terrified of having the ones down my throat, even still after 30 years of having those ones!  

britathrt60

I agree with you about throat scopes... Ugh! Cheers

Ange

Beachboy

Over the years, I've learned you have to be proactive and informed. Don't assume doctors and staff fully researched your unique medical situation prior to a procedure. No one cares about you more than you.