Misdiagnosis Leads to Successful Colostomy Reversal

Replies
Views
Past Member

This is a long story but people are wondering about my post no reversal than surgery to reverse.

Well, turns out I was misdiagnosed. That group of Dr even

Thought I should have more surgery and remove rectum and that

I had Crohn's disease. A WONDERFUL GI DR. told me to go to Mayo for a second opinion.

I did...They DID NOT AGREE WITH OTHER DRS. DIAGNOSIS.

AND Said...WE WILL BE ABLE TO REVERSE YOUR COLOSTOMY!

I HAD MAJOR 7 HR. SURGERY to repair a perforation caused by a

Careless Dr for a routine colonoscopy at age 70. I was never told and slowly got ill. He also, didn't mention I had diverticulitis which caused my Dr's to wonder what was wrong! Soon I had over the top inflammation! Ended up in surgery with colostomy. Never told why.

Two years later problems started..in out of hospital Dr's thought I now had Crohn's.

TURNS OUT TWO YEARS LATER...THE ORIGINAL SURGERY A STAPLE came Loose and leakage occurred causing me to get extremely ill.

That's when I was told...NO REVERSAL!! CROHN'S DISEASE!! MORE SURGERY TO REMOVE MORE BOWEL AND RECTUM!!

BUT ON OCT 15TH I Had surgery 7hrs to repair damage done.

Temporary ileostomy for 3 mos. Then...JANUARY 19TH I WAS

REVERSED SUCCESSFULLY!!

NOW 3 WEEKS AFTER REVERSAL I'M BACK TO NORMAL IT'S

AMAZING AND I THANK GOD...THESE PAST 5 YRS HAVE BEEN

HORRIBLE, I was so ill for so long I'm lucky to still be here.

This group of Dr's were a well-known clinic and hospital.

May God bless the Mayo DRS.

JaymieGleason

That is fabulous. I'm so happy for you. Here's to enjoying everyday!!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,432 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lovely

Thanks for sharing. Glad all is well now.

Justbreathe

Wow...good on you!!! So happy you found the right docs and solution after all you have been through. I am contemplating going through a reversal. My worst fear...doctors and hospitals (as you have experienced) as they say...been there done that.... At 78 I am just not sure what to do but loved hearing your success story - gave me a bit of hope. Thanks for sharing and best wishes for many happy years ahead to make up for those 5 you lost!

Past Member
Reply to Justbreathe

Thank you for your kind words. Unless one has been through this (as only ostomy people know first hand), most people do not have any idea how difficult it can be or how ill a person can get.

I don't know where you live but if you somehow can travel to Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, you would get the best results, best doctors. I'm 76 and

after 5 years with a colostomy, I am doing really well. And that's after a 7-hour surgery in Oct. to correct all the mistakes made by former doctors. Also, a 3-month temporary ileostomy while the bowel/rectum healed.

I wish you all the very best in whatever your decision is. If you have any questions or anything, please send me a message.

Sincerely, Asiam

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Rocket52
Reply to Anonymous

I hate to say this, but because of a misdiagnosis by the overrated Mayo Clinic in Rochester, I ended up with a permanent ileostomy which was unnecessary. Doctors can be wrong!

Past Member
Reply to Rocket52

Oh no!! I'm so sorry to hear that.

Best wishes, Asiam.

Justbreathe
Reply to Anonymous

Yes....unfortunately they are everywhere and in abundance....sadly, this is exactly why I am fearful of further surgery.