Lubrication: Using Mineral Oil with Hollister Two-Piece

Replies
Views
keepers51

I'm using a Hollister two-piece and have begun using mineral oil for lubricating the inside, which is working well. Does anyone know if there is a problem with this method or have a recommendation?

Past Member

Hi keepers, I sometimes use the deodorizer in my bag in hopes that when it becomes a sticky goo, it will easier drop down and not stick to the inside like paste. I have heard of oils being used. I may try that too.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,368 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello keepers51.

In the 'collections' section under 'Ostomy tips' there is a small paragraph on pancaking, which seems relevant to your post, so I will copy and paste below:

Pancaking

The reference of 'pancaking' is when stool gathers in the upper part of the pouch and stays there as opposed to going down to the bottom.

* Make sure you have air in the bag. If you do not have enough air it acts like vacuum and your stool will sit where it comes out and will not drop down to the bottom of the bag.
* You can also try adding a few drops of baby oil (or cooking oil) to the inside of the pouch and rub it in the inside walls to help the stool to slide down.

Best wishes

Bill

aprangn

Pam nonstick spray works and it's cheap.

looking forward

Hi, I use an eye dropper full of regular vegetable oil each time I change it. It has always worked well for me.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
keepers51

Thank you for the response. I have tried the Pam and the vegetable oil. Both do lubricate but eventually lose effectiveness at the upper part of the bag where I need it most. That's why I experimented with mineral oil which stays where I put it for a much longer time. Last night I performed an experiment on a strip of non-stick material on the counter. I placed a 3/4 inch pool of mineral oil and another of Adapt lubricating deodorant and observed their tendency to creep or change shape if undisturbed and then spread them a small amount to observe whether they would stay where I forced them to go. Both performed about equally. Then I took the strip and turned it on its side and observed the effect of gravity and the mineral oil was the first to run. So, after a month of satisfactory result from mineral oil with its tendency to seep I am going to try the Adapt lubricant and compare the results.

Penguins7

Hello Keepers, I have never tried mineral oil but have used baby oil for several years with great success. The baby oil not only works as a lubricant but as a deodorizer too. When I travel, I purchase the 3oz ones for the airplane. Stay well. Penguins7

lovely

I have tried the Adapt lubricating deodorant. It works well for the odor and helps somewhat with lubrication. I use baby oil, but after a couple of times emptying it, I can smell the baby oil. I am going to see if they have unscented or maybe I use too much. I will have to experiment more.

keepers51

Thanks very much, Bill.

Cheers!

Past Member

Hi Lovely, I'm going to try the baby oil too. I wonder if the gel type would work as well? All good ideas, good collaboration.

keepers51

Mtnman,

I got a notification in my email and when I opened it, I was taken to the reply you made to Lovely. Guess I don't know how to use this website that well.
However, I'd like to insert here the last entry I made in my medical journal just today. Hope it's not a waste of time....

"Everything is settling. The stoma shape is still changing. More oval. And protruding a bit more. The shape and consistency of the output is greatly improved with the high fiber diet and the output is very sensitive to any change in diet. I used mineral oil as a lubricant inside the bag for a month with good results. The problem with that choice is it seeps at the tail and makes handling a little challenging, requiring more work to an otherwise ideal choice. I performed an experiment with three lubricants on a strip of non-stick material. I deposited ¾ inch diameter of the lubricants, one of mineral oil, and one each of Hollister Adapt and Coloplast Brava. I let it sit undisturbed and observed whether it spread. It didn't appear to. Then I took my finger and did a spreading motion about a half inch, dragging the sample outward. The Brava appeared to shrink back toward the original pool (not desired for lubricant control). Then, turning the strip on edge, the Brava was the first to run off with mineral oil running more slowly while the Adapt did not appear to succumb to the effect of gravity at all. So I'm now evaluating the Adapt lubricant to compare results with the mineral oil which was used for a month (which was mostly satisfactory). The reason to choose a lubricant that resists gravity is to keep it up toward the top of the bag to aid stool more easily falling to the bottom."

I'd like to further add: I use a clear bag. For greatly improving performance, for me, I crinkle up the clear plastic so it is very loose and flexible. The stiffness of the new, clear bag adds too much to the vacuum effect and the crinkling relaxes that characteristic. I make sure I completely cover the filter so whatever air I put into the bag stays there. I also work the lubricant up to the interior of the filter to aid in stopping air escaping. With the Hollister product, it is easy to control ballooning and controlling air quantity.

So, for me, with a four-month-old colostomy, crinkling the Hollister bag to relax it, increasing fiber in my diet, adequate hydration but not overdoing it, and lubrication has made my ostomy experience a giant step toward manageability.

Regards,
Keepers51

w30bob

Oh...........THAT type of lubrication...........whew, when I read the title I thought this one was going to go in a very weird direction! Carry on.

;0)

Bob

LLES

Over here in Spain, people use sunflower oil because oil is cheap here (cheaper than the lubricants sold in the pharmacy), so I think any type of oil is fine.

Pharmgirl

I use Vaseline, always. Once the bag is on, I put a glob on my finger and swipe back and forth inside the bag all the way to the bottom. Stuff just slides right out! Good luck!

keepers51

Thanks, Pharmgirl. Does it melt and slide to the bottom? I wear my bag for 4 or 5 days.

Pharmgirl

I usually get 3 days out of my bag and the Vaseline still works! 

stevos64

I have been using mineral oil for about 4 years on the recommendation of my VA wound nurse. I use a 2-piece Coloplast Mia setup and leave the bag laying out overnight with oil in it the day before I am planning a change. Laying flat, the oil seems to spread naturally and it works well for about 4 days or so. Now that I have switched to Coloplast, I only change my bag and base every 7-8 days. The only time I do not use the oil is if I am planning on going to friends or family houses. I have an ileostomy so it usually has to be dumped while visiting. The oil does leave a slick on the water and I would just rather not leave that in someone's home toilet. Otherwise, I love the oil and Target sells it for a ridiculously low price, $1.99 for 16 ounces. Maybe cooking oil is cheaper but hey, I'm worth the extra cost! Yuk yuk yuk......

https://www.target.com/p/mineral-oil-16oz-up-up-153/-/A-11454532

keepers51

Hey, Stevos, thanks for the reply. Yes, after a month of mineral oil, I have begun a comparison of the Adapt lubricant from Hollister. It's not bad stuff so far. But I do think I'll return to mineral oil soon, which I believe has superior lubricating properties. The one thing I've noticed is that the mineral oil, after a few days, seems to cause a bit of melting of the barrier ring I apply behind the wafer. But that only happens after about 4 - 5 days, whereas the Adapt doesn't seem to do that. But...maybe the appearance of the melting ring is a good signal it is time to change the wafer anyway. Again, thanks.

Adding a question...what do you use to store/carry the mineral oil in that doesn't leak all over the place?

stevos64

I just keep the oil in the bottle it came in. I pour some of it into an old Adapt lubricant bottle. This way I can just use a small squirt into the bag which is all I seem to need. I don't bring the oil with me, even on vacations as any kind of oil that I can think of somehow makes its way to the outside of whatever container it is in. Thanks for the tip on the melting seal. My Coloplast has, on occasion, had a bit of melting, mostly while working out and sweating a lot. Maybe the oil reacts with the sweat?

currentsitguy

This may sound ridiculous, but have you considered spraying a little PAM in there?

Edit: Sorry, I see I'm not the first to suggest it.