Closed or Drainable Bags: Which is More Comfortable?

Replies
Views
freedancer

I would like to ask you folks which bags you like better, the closed or the drainable bags? I have just received some of the closed bags as I will be having hand surgery soon and they will be easier to use with one hand. However, lately I have noticed that the drainable bags have a sharp edge that pokes into my upper leg sometimes which is uncomfortable. So which ones do you prefer?

Bill

Hello Freedancer.

When I used to wear bags regularly, I would choose the drainable ones. However, when I started irrigating, I would wear the smaller closed pouches at nights (just in case!). After a while I gave up on all the bags and simply wore the irrigation sleeve overnight as that gave me peace of mind and would hold any residual output until morning. I think that choices should be made on a personal basis as to what is right for you at specific times and under different circumstances. I cannot see any reason (other than financial) not to wear different bags at different times if they make you feel more comfortable. 

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,484 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

britathrt60

Hi Freedancer.

Closed pouches may work with colostomy... I have ileostomy and use drainable due to emptying a lot more often.

Cheers... Ange.

newyorktorque

Like Brit... I have an ileo so a closed pouch is a no go for me. I wish I could get away with one. If I did not have high output or say I irrigate, I would love to try a closed pouch. Contact the vendors if you haven't already for samples so you can decide which works better for you. Gl

PETey.13

Dancer, I received 3 wafers each, and various samples of adjunct products, from ConvaTec, Hollister, and Liberator. I never received anything from Coloplast. Some of us here are willing to send you free samples.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
iMacG5

Hi Freedancer. It’s good you’re anticipating the need to improvise down the road. I’m concerned about the future relative to loss of dexterity with aging.
For the sharp edge on the drainable, my Convatec people sent a pouch that folds over itself to eliminate that edge. If you call the manufacturer of your appliance I think they’ll help you.
Good luck,
Mike

Past Member

1 piece drainable for me even when I had surgery on my right hand, I used them. The ostomy nurse gave me a 2 piece roll lock bag and said they would be easier for me. I found them much more difficult to use as I have very little feeling in my left hand. I tried my usual ones and got on with them much easier.

lovely

Hi Freedancer, as others have said you can get samples and try different ones using one hand before your surgery. How long before your surgery? Hope all goes well for you, keep us updated. Best wishes

Puppyluv56

Hi Freedancer,

I have been an advocate of the drainable pouch but like you said, I found that the bottom closure does poke me and that hurts. I have recently changed to the closed-end pouches and found that they are so much nicer to wear. And if I have to change it, a lot less smell just popping it off into a Ziplock bag and popping a new one on. I guess the smell is not exposed for as long a time as when dumping a pouch. A plus in my eyes too!
Puppy