Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Dating 20,699 members

Illiostomy

Posted by looking forward, on Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:51 am
what do you need to swim with an ostomy?? i have not been in the water. ty< >  < >
Reply by PETey.13, on Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:26 pm
Wait 2 hours before swimming. Loose swimsuit, empty bag, don't stay wet more than 30 minutes.
Reply by xnine, on Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:23 pm
For extra security use Brava strips.
Reply by w30bob, on Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:38 pm
The first time.....a lot of guts. Seriously, everyone's barrier adhesion is different, so take it slowly and build up the time you expose your barrier to water. At some point it will come off. It's best to kind of know when that point will be. Although weird, and not what most find, if I take short swims in the pool and completely dry my barrier in between it actually improves the adhesion. But I change my barrier every other day, so I'm not a good example to rely on. I wear my ostomy belt that connects to my 2-piece bag when I'm in the pool. Probably doesn't do much, except give a little piece of mind......but I'll take it. If you actually swim vigorously you might want to wear a Stealth Belt or some other form of clothing to keep the bag close to your body as you swim. Otherwise it tends to flop around and I say you'd be pushing your luck. regards, bob
Reply by Mark1070, on Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:10 pm
The rubber wafers like coloplast sensura mio are better since they protect the adhesive. Brava strips help. I use hollister which is fabric-like wafer material. Also, try a supplemental adhesive like torbot and/or skintac. I also tape wafer edges and use a stealth belt. It's a lot but i don't have leaks. Any of the above will help adhesion. Oh, and never change the pouch the day of any activity. You want to give it a day or two to adhere to the skin.
Reply by britathrt60, on Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:28 am
The only time I swim is in my Nieces pool in NC when I'm there visiting ..it's always been great and 2 piece Convatec system has never failed...I'm still a bit afraid to swim anywhere else..take care.
Reply by looking forward, on Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:05 am
ty all for your help i will take all advise
Reply by panther, on Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:50 am

First time if you can go with family or friends to give you support and help keep your confindece up, other than that just jump in enjoy and forget about your ostomy...if you don't have any problems having showers with ostomy coming of you will be just as safe swimming 

Reply by kmedup, on Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:12 pm

I am in the YMCA pool plus the hottub at least three times a week in the winter. I have never had a problem. Also, I spent three solid hours in the Blue Lagoon in Iceland last December and once again, not a problem. I find the bag (I wear a one piece, cut to fit disposable - no barrier and attachable bag) whch tends to hold on even a bit more so when I am in water.  If I do have leaks, they start from within the inside of the bag, not from the outside. But, everyone has different experiences. I also irrigate and that helps with self-confidence. Panther is so right - if you don't have trouble in the shower, you will be just as safe swimming.

Reply by Mark1070, on Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:15 pm
kmedup wrote:

I am in the YMCA pool plus the hottub at least three times a week in the winter. I have never had a problem. Also, I spent three solid hours in the Blue Lagoon in Iceland last December and once again, not a problem. I find the bag (I wear a one piece, cut to fit disposable - no barrier and attachable bag) whch tends to hold on even a bit more so when I am in water.  If I do have leaks, they start from within the inside of the bag, not from the outside. But, everyone has different experiences. I also irrigate and that helps with self-confidence. Panther is so right - if you don't have trouble in the shower, you will be just as safe swimming.

Kmedup,

What brand and seriescdo you use? 

Reply by kmedup, on Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:41 am
Mark1070 wrote:
kmedup wrote:

Kmedup,

What brand and seriescdo you use? 

I use • Coloplast – 15470 – closed pouch,  and have never had an issue.  Karen

Reply by ron in mich, on Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:01 am

Hi all when my daughter played travel hockey and we stayed in motels/hotels we all went swimming and all i did was frame around my wafer with the pink tape from walmart, nexcare brand, we also used the hot tubs and i never had a problem.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.