Swimming with an Ostomy: What Do I Need?

Replies
Views
looking forward

What do you need to swim with an ostomy? I have not been in the water. Ty.

PETey.13

Wait 2 hours before swimming. Wear a loose swimsuit, empty your bag, and don't stay wet for more than 30 minutes.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,456 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

xnine

For extra security, use Brava strips.

w30bob

The first time... a lot of guts. Seriously, everyone's barrier adhesion is different, so take it slowly and build up the time you expose your barrier to water. At some point, it will come off. It's best to kind of know when that point will be. Although weird and not what most find, if I take short swims in the pool and completely dry my barrier in between, it actually improves the adhesion. But I change my barrier every other day, so I'm not a good example to rely on. I wear my ostomy belt that connects to my 2-piece bag when I'm in the pool. Probably doesn't do much, except give a little peace of mind... but I'll take it. If you actually swim vigorously, you might want to wear a Stealth Belt or some other form of clothing to keep the bag close to your body as you swim. Otherwise, it tends to flop around and I say you'd be pushing your luck.

Regards,
Bob

Mark1070

The rubber wafers like Coloplast Sensura Mio are better since they protect the adhesive. Brava strips help. I use Hollister which is fabric-like wafer material. Also, try a supplemental adhesive like Torbot and/or SkinTac. I also tape wafer edges and use a Stealth Belt. It's a lot but I don't have leaks. Any of the above will help adhesion. Oh, and never change the pouch the day of any activity. You want to give it a day or two to adhere to the skin.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
britathrt60

The only time I swim is in my niece's pool in NC when I'm there visiting. It's always been great and the 2-piece Convatec system has never failed. I'm still a bit afraid to swim anywhere else. Take care.

looking forward

Thank you all for your help. I will take all advice.

Past Member

First time, if you can go with family or friends to give you support and help keep your confidence up. Other than that, just jump in, enjoy, and forget about your ostomy. If you don't have any problems having showers with ostomy coming off, you will be just as safe swimming.

kmedup

I am in the YMCA pool plus the hot tub at least three times a week in the winter. I have never had a problem. Also, I spent three solid hours in the Blue Lagoon in Iceland last December and once again, not a problem. I find the bag (I wear a one-piece, cut-to-fit disposable - no barrier and attachable bag) which tends to hold on even a bit more so when I am in water. If I do have leaks, they start from within the inside of the bag, not from the outside. But, everyone has different experiences. I also irrigate, and that helps with self-confidence. Panther is so right - if you don't have trouble in the shower, you will be just as safe swimming.

Mark1070

Dear Kmedup,

What brand and series do you use? 

kmedup

I use Bull; Coloplast – 15470 – closed pouch, nbsp; and have never had an issue. nbsp; Karen

ron in mich

Hi all, when my daughter played travel hockey and we stayed in motels/hotels, we all went swimming and all I did was frame around my wafer with the pink tape from Walmart, Nexcare brand. We also used the hot tubs and I never had a problem.

Homie With A Stomie NS

Some use nothing additional, others use adhesive tape around the flange, and we just jump in. No different than showering with a bag on... Jump in and bask in that water...

warrior

Don't forget... your rubber ducky!????

looking forward

LOL

looking forward

LOL

warrior

Don't forget... your rubber ducky!????