Tips for Managing Ostomy in Infants

In this discussion
Replies
Views
ramsri2020

Hi, I have a 1-month-old baby boy who underwent ileostomy since he has issues with bowel movement (reason: immature ganglion nerve cells in colon). Currently, I am not using any ostomy bags, instead using diapers and gauze pads to absorb the stool. I am looking for tips or ideas from not using ostomy bags.

Thanks

Ramsri

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,088 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

kstyle

Hi Ramsri-

My first question is, do you not have access to pediatric/infant pouches? I understand that an infant obviously has to wear a diaper regardless, however, with an ileostomy having constant output, whether it is stool or not, can be quite debilitating to your baby's tender skin. If you are not using any type of pouching system, I would suggest using some kind of skin protectant, possibly oil-based like Desitin or something of that nature. I'd also like to point out that I am not an MD, so if I were in your position, I'd seek the advice from an ostomy nurse for a pouching system or speak with your child's surgeon regarding prevention of any infection from output.

In the meantime, enjoy every moment with your new precious bundle of joy!

K

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
ramsri2020

Hi Kstyle,

Thank you for your response. I have availability for adult stoma bags here in India, but my preference for not using stoma bags is that the skin barrier used as part of the stoma pouch will create irritation for the baby. Additionally, I experienced difficulty when I used stoma paste ointment since it dries quickly and is not easy to remove later. Currently, I am using AD diaper rash cream. I was thinking of using larger size diapers which will waist above the stoma so that it can secure any gauze pads or cloth pouch to collect the stool.

Thanks,

RamSri

Puppyluv56

I have met and become great friends with the mother of an infant that is now over one year old. He has a double ostomy. Two stomas side by side. She is in the Philippines and had a hard time getting quality pouches that worked. They would not last an hour and was at her wits' end. A lot of us on the site sent her adult pouches. She cut them short and used a clip on the bottom, and the child did very well using them. I would suggest you speak with her. I forgot her username here but will instant message her to contact you on this site. She may be able to help you through some of the things she had overcome. Her name is Naomi. Her username is that plus some numbers, I think. I just went and looked her up. Her username is NAZ100601.
Puppy

ramsri2020

Hi Puppy,

Thank you for forwarding the information. I will contact her to know how she took care of the ostomy for her baby. My baby also has a loop stoma, i.e., two stomas side by side.

Thanks,

Ramsri

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Puppyluv56

I have sent you a private message with her information. She would love to talk with you!

Puppy

NancyAnn

Hi,

I was born premature and originally had a colostomy, and that was reversed. Then, at 2 years old, I had a urostomy, and my mother did the same, used diapers. But that is not really a good idea.

There are pediatric pouches, and the ones they have now are so amazing. When I had them 58 years ago, I had a cement-like substance and a bag that was like a hot water bottle. Now, they are light and easy to work with. You should find an ostomy/wound care nurse, and they can advise you or call one of the manufacturers: Convatec, Hollister, Coloplast, and see what they can offer you in regards to advice and samples. Just a suggestion.

ramsri2020

Hi Puppy

Since I am not an upgraded member, I cannot read the message. Can you provide her information to ? Thank you, Puppy.

Puppyluv56

Her FB name is Naomi Fergara Enriquez. She did say she would look you up on here as well. nbsp
You should be able to read a private message when one is sent to you. You cannot initiate one. Hope that still holds true and they have not changed it. nbsp
Hope you can talk with her. She is great and her baby thrives even though he has so many issues! nbsp
Take care,

Puppy

Puppyluv56

Her FB name is Naomi Fergara Enriquez. She did say she would look you up on here as well. nbsp
You should be able to read a private message when one is sent to you. You cannot initiate one. Hope that still holds true and they have not changed it. nbsp
Hope you can talk with her. She is great and her baby thrives even though he has so many issues! nbsp
Take care,

Puppy