Less Shaving Required for Ostomy Veterans?

Replies
Views
Past Member
Mar 19, 2020 4:36 pm

Question for those ostomy "veterans". I'm about 5 years in and noticed that over the last year or so, I only need to do minimal shaving around my stoma. Is that something you guys have noticed over time?

Past Member
Mar 19, 2020 5:17 pm

Hi Time,

I am 13 months in and I have to shave around my stoma area once or twice a month, but then again I've got a lot of fur.

....Mountain

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,875 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Charleston man
Mar 19, 2020 6:08 pm

I've had my ileostomy for 10 years and I shave around my stoma when it's time for me to shave my face, which I do twice a week. I tried once not to shave around my stoma and got a really bad wound from pulling the hair out while changing. And I also am a bit on the hairy side.

Charleston guy

w30bob
Mar 19, 2020 6:47 pm

Wow... you guys are lucky. I change my barrier every other day and need to shave around my stoma each time. Don't think the stubble would have a problem sticking to the barrier, but just don't think it's a healthy environment to begin with under the barrier/bandage, so I'm not taking any chances. If you need a really good, cheap electric foil razor I highly recommend the Panasonic ES3831... it's cordless, runs forever on rechargeable batteries, runs smooth and is CHEAP! Just sayin'.

Later,

Bob

Past Member
Mar 19, 2020 7:55 pm

30 years for me. Only in the last 5 years has it slowed down slightly. Now, instead of shaving every week, I shave every 3 weeks now.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Mark1070
Mar 19, 2020 10:13 pm

Adhesive pulled all my stomach fuzz out so I don't bother shaving

britathrt60
Mar 19, 2020 11:39 pm

Bob, why do you have to change the flange every other day? That's crazy. Maybe you need to try a better fit. I change once a week on Sunday. I'd go insane changing every other day.

Bill
Mar 20, 2020 7:53 am

Hello TimeToGrow.

I don't have a lot of hair around there so I just shave when it starts to tug on the wafers. I wear plugs and change them every day. Sometimes the wafer pulls a few hairs out with it, so I presume that over time I might not have to shave at all. ( we live in hope!)

Best wishes

Bill

w30bob
Mar 20, 2020 8:58 am

Hi Ange,

Being short-gutted, I need to eat continually (or my empty bowels continue to make bile, which dehydrates me and I lose weight), and because my bowels are so short, my output is almost always liquid. That constant liquid output takes its toll on the barrier ring and wafer material. I've gone longer on changes, but after the second day, the liquid output begins to seep around the ring and starts to irritate my skin. And once irritated, it's hard to get it back to normal, as it's always covered. So changing the barrier every other day is my safest bet to keep the skin around my stoma happy. Plus, it gives me the opportunity to let my skin breathe a bit more often than those who change at longer intervals.   It sucks, but has become so routine I don't even think about it anymore. But you can see it uses up a lot of ostomy supplies rather quickly......which is why I posted the question about how long a bag lasts and how many times can it be reused. We've all got our demons......frequent barrier changes are just one of mine. No big deal.

Regards,

Bob

ron in mich
Mar 20, 2020 2:03 pm

Hi all, I shave once a month or when I start a new box of wafers. What's odd is since I had surgery and my stoma moved from right to left, there is less hair on my left side. But I shave anyway, old habits of that routine.

iMacG5
Mar 20, 2020 2:43 pm

I support Bob's advice completely.  I shaved with every available blade, nicked the stoma more times than I can count and got the ingrown hairs as a bonus.  I stopped shaving about two years ago after my surgeon suggested it.  Kinda like Bob, I use a cheapie Remington facial hair trimmer from a 4 - piece rechargeable kit.  I don't even use the foil shaver component which means I leave a few nanometers.  It works for me and, hopefully, might be helpful for others.

britathrt60
Mar 20, 2020 7:18 pm

):    

w30bob
Mar 21, 2020 2:50 am

Yeah.....speaking of shaving.......it was in the 80's today. Time for the beard to go! When I shaved my head 2 years ago (in solidarity with a co-worker going through cancer treatments.....she was taking her hair falling out pretty hard) I was amazed at how much cooler I was all the time. I hardly sweated at all that summer. And was also surprised how cold my noggin' got in the wintertime.....a hat was mandatory when outside. Grew my beard this winter and it also helped keep me warm.......so when it's gone tomorrow I fully expect to feel cooler. Funny how hair helps regulate body temperature. See all the fun you women are missing!

o)

Bob

Past Member
Mar 21, 2020 3:10 am

Hi Bob, 

Oh, come on, the last time I shaved my face was probably back in '86. So take a good look before you shave it off. Aw, you'll get used to it and you can still see them dimples. Besides, beards are popular these days. Roll with it. My wife and son have never seen me without mine. Ask Ange and lovely see what they think.  ...mountain. 

w30bob
Mar 21, 2020 1:55 pm

Hi Mountain,

Too late... it's gone. Although I did save it in a plastic bag if anyone wants it. No, just kidding... I did save it, but you can't have it. I saved it because if I die rich and famous my kinfolk can sell locks of my hair and make some big bucks. Like Elvis. Feels good to have it off, but you know what... it makes my ears look bigger. Like Obama's. Ok, not that bad. I did stop at a Fu, but then decided I looked too much like David Carradine from the TV show Kung Fu.

Now Mountain... for you, that beard is who you are. And you look great. But my persona requires me to change it up frequently. So for now, I'll do stubble, then in a month or two, I'll grow my 'stache... then chops... you get the picture. I like to be Hugo, the man of a thousand faces. Figure I'll appeal to more women like that. Or not. I'm sure you remember Hugo... check it out

Regards,

Bob

Puppyluv56
Mar 21, 2020 3:22 pm

I am with you at least once a week. I change every 10 days and sometimes forget then. Never a leak! Sure saves product!  

Puppyluv56
Mar 21, 2020 3:26 pm

That must be tough! Guess some of us are a bit luckier in our care. But like you say, you get used to it! Irrigation is a pain in the butt too but like you said, you get used to it! 
Pup

w30bob
Mar 21, 2020 6:29 pm

Mountain... you left me no choice. If you won't shave... I'm going to have to shave you myself. Here you go gang... I present Mountainman cleanly shaven! What a handsome devil... no?

In case anyone is wondering... I had to borrow Ed Asner's (Lou Grant from the Mary Tyler Moore show) lower face to do this.

Enjoy!!

Regards,

Bob

Past Member
Mar 21, 2020 7:09 pm

Oh Bob, my ribs are splitting! So funny! Bob, you're the best. So funny, but I'm a lot better looking under my hair. You and I could be on Duck Dynasty. 

Past Member
Mar 21, 2020 7:32 pm

Thanks Bob, I'm looking forward to seeing your progression stache, chops, just like ol' Hugo. I'm sure you'll have no problems dazzling the ladies or making a profit with all that leftover hair. Hey, they probably ran out of Elvis's hair, this could be the lost bag of hair. Some say he's really in witness protection, so if there's a little gray, they'll understand. You could make a fortune. Just think, all the good looks and money too. You have a bright future ahead, Bob...mountain:)

w30bob
Mar 21, 2020 8:14 pm

Hi Mountain,

I'm glad you got a good laugh out of that! I didn't want to offend or anything. Nowadays everybody is so sensitive... but I figured I'd take the chance. And look......... you're no longer part of the audience...... you're part of the Act! Maybe you can fill in until Warrior gets back....... I need a sidekick!

Have a great weekend,

Bob

Past Member
Mar 21, 2020 8:24 pm

Okay Bob, I'll try. :) How is Warrior? I hadn't heard from Petey, but we talked and he's doing fine.  

Bob, you are the best. Thanks for the humor in these times.    ..mountain.