Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Dating 20,925 members

Stoma but still bowel movement

Posted by Cinderella , on Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:00 am

Hi I have had my stoma for 6 years now. When I first had my stoma opp I had small amount of bowel movements and still sometimes get the feeling that I need to sit on the toilet but nothing happens. I had this feeling today and two small amounts of something came out. Is this anything anyone else has had?

Reply by w30bob, on Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:30 am

Hi Cinder,

Depending on what's left of your colon (if you have an ileo) and rectum.....they still create a mucosa even when not in use.  Some of that can be reabsorbed, but usually it accumulates and you get the urge to go at some point.  I know the first couple of times I had that urge I was like WTF? because it feels as if you're actually passing stool.  So unless you see something solid (which hopefully you never will), I think what you are describing is perfectly normal. 

regards,

bob 

Reply by lovely, on Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:00 pm

Hi Cinderella, I had the same experience I kept feeling like something was up in me. I put on some gloves with a little oil felt up in there and felt something hard. I finally had to help it out and although that has not happened again I do pass muscus all the time. The rectum still produces muscus like it did before. Hope this helps. Stay safe

Reply by w30bob, on Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:19 pm
lovely wrote:

Hi Cinderella, I had the same experience I kept feeling like something was up in me. I put on some gloves with a little oil felt up in there and felt something hard. I finally had to help it out and although that has not happened again I do pass muscus all the time. The rectum still produces muscus like it did before. Hope this helps. Stay safe

So Lovely.........any chance it was a diamond or pearl???  Hey, ya never know.............

;0)

bob

Reply by lovely, on Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:45 pm
w30bob wrote:
lovely wrote:

So Lovely.........any chance it was a diamond or pearl???  Hey, ya never know.............

;0)

bob

Don't I wish.  Maybe I could have swallow one as a baby could be why I have such a problem LOL

Reply by honestabe, on Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:21 pm

Same here!

Reply by newyorktorque, on Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:04 pm

Hey Cinderella I had a mucous discharge today as well.  Yes sometimes it feels like you gotta go and nothing comes out.  I typically have a discharge every couple of months, but we are all different.  

Reply by 2marilyn2, on Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:20 pm

Hi Cinderella

i have an ileostomy and get this feeling every few weeks!  My surgeon told me it was a mucus build up and recommended I use a pessary!  I find after using it I pass the mucus wi5hout any trouble or discomfort!  Hope this helps, take care!

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.