New "Quiet" Ostomy Bag Material

Replies
Views
w30bob

Hi gang,

Was sorting through my pile of mail this morning and noticed a large envelope from Coloplast. Opened it and inside was a new brochure for their Sensura Mio barrier and bag combo. What caught my eye was the large print at the top of the brochure saying their bag material was quiet, in caps. So apparently the new thinner crinkly material used by Hollister and others is getting enough complaints that Coloplast took notice......and they're capitalizing on it as a lure to try their product. So I suspect Hollister and company are working hard to find a better material that's not as noisy as their current new material. I've switched from ordering my ostomy supplies from every 3 months to every month.....so I don't get stuck with a bunch of crinkly bags. Time will tell.

Regards,

Bob

Past Member

I have used the Sensura Mio 2-piece appliance for years, and really like it. It dries quickly after a shower, the gray color is not noticeable under clothing, and I don't find it noisy. It was designed based on input from ostomy nurses, including mine (who has an ostomy herself). I like it better than other products I have tried; it works well for me.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lovely

Bob, my insurance will only let me order one month at a time. Which, like you said, it may be a good thing, so if there is something you don't like or they change something again.

w30bob

Hi Lovely,

Yeah, I used to order 90 days (3 months) at a time but have switched to monthly because I want to try different brands. Of course, since doing that a few months ago, neither Coloplast nor Convatec have sent me the second batch of samples they said they would... so I've been ordering the same Hollister things every month. I really need to just take a day and review what everyone has and start trying things. We'll see how that goes, but it's not real high on my to-do list right now.

Take care,

Bob

Past Member

Let me know what you find. I use Hollister also & have tried quite a few different kinds & have complaints about all, the worst being Coloplast. But I have been one of the people complaining to Hollister about the crinkly noise.  

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
w30bob

Hi tmn,

Apparently you're one of many!   I called and gave them some choice "corrective criticism" back when I first got a bunch of "candy wrapper crinkler" bags.   I'm sure they're getting an earful!!

Regards,

Bob

Puppyluv56

I used to use Coloplast pouch and flange and they are quiet. They seem to be a higher quality pouch but I hate that Click system so much! It needs some work so I don't use what I have.
pups

Past Member

I tried those but also didn't like the click-system. Also, the pouches are too short & hard to empty for me. I did like the material much better!

Past Member

I use the 2-piece "stick" system, as I don't care for the "click" system. It works well for me.

Puppyluv56

What is a stick system? I love the Convatec system. It is like a sandwich bag but that little round thing on Coloplast is horribly hard to fasten. The ring comes off and I cannot burp with it.    Convatec, no problem. Wish they got together and made the ultimate perfect bag! Just dreaming!  Lol

Puppy

Past Member

It's a sticky system. The two pieces stick to each other. Just like how you peel and stick the flange onto your skin, with this, you can peel and stick the pouch onto the flange. I find I can open and close it many times, but it still sticks when I close it. I probably open it 10 times a day because that is how I empty, rather than from the bottom of the pouch. As long as I don't get anything on the sticky part (like toilet paper), I don't have any problems closing it again. I generally change the whole appliance every 5th day; by then, the adhesive is losing some of its grip. I could probably go longer if I didn't open and close it so often.

Puppyluv56

Ok, I get it. That sounds something like they gave me when I first had surgery, but it was called a one-piece. There were four parts to stick together, and I was not able to open it except from the bottom. I am sure yours is totally different because mine was a disaster for me. It leaked several times a day. Lol, I stayed home those first few weeks. I was scared to go out anywhere. That was a few years ago now, and I found the two-piece works wonderfully. I change my flange every 10 days if I remember. It lasts a lot longer, and sometimes I lose track of the day and find I am going 16-18 days. I do write the date I change on the box of flanges.  
Summer is here, so I will change more often now being in the pool every day. I have to be more careful.  
Pup

Past Member

No, puppy, mine is a 2-piece. Separate flange and pouch, so I can just change the pouch if I want to. I don't like the one-piece; it just doesn't work for me at all.

bj

I've been using Convatec for a while now (tried everything else as well) and the only thing I don't like are the noisy pouches. They recently came out with a new pouch - thinner outer material that they say is quieter. They were SO nice and sent me an entire box of 30 when I asked them for samples. It was during the first month of the pandemic and I think they were being wonderfully thoughtful! Anyway, they are not any quieter. Changing the outside material, making it thin, does not change the crinkly sound that the plastic inner liner makes. Another change that was made in the new bags, which I can see would be useful at times, is that they make a flap on the outer material so that you can see into the pouch. I will keep some of those around for doctor appointments. But since Convatec is the only brand that my skin is okay with, and is easy to use (2-pc system), I will stick with them. Hollister is what the hospital and wound center set me up with back when, but my skin was not happy. It's pretty happy right now!

lovely

I think a lot of us have tried different bags and all I have tried makes the crinkly noise. I use Holstier supplies and I have a box of the ones with the cloth-like material on both sides of the bag. I use them like you said when I go to the Dr. They seem to be a little less noisy. Stay safe.