Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Dating 20,920 members

Nuts

Posted by tmn86, on Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:01 pm

I was told that eating any kind of nuts can cause a blockage, does anyone know if this is true?

Reply by Daanders, on Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:31 pm

I have been told that. Never tried. Too scared

Reply by xnine, on Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:36 pm

Chew chew chew should be fine. Turn it into peanut butter.

Reply by Longroad78, on Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:39 pm

I have hear that and one of the church members at my old church had his surgery before I had mine and he has had a blockage because he loves almonds but that does have a lot of fiber. He had a more difficult surgery so he has more scar tissue from it which can cause more blockages if there is areas in his intestine that restrict movement of food. I have been luck because my illeostomy surgery was mostly trouble free just took longer. After the normal recovery where your body settles in on its new plumbing I have tried a small hand full of cashews, macadamia nuts, or blanched almonds with no issues, chew things well and stay hydrated and things work out with no issues.  Remember each person is different so test things out in small amount. 

Reply by Jimky 1, on Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:54 pm

I ate peanuts once and it did cause a blockage 

Reply by lovely, on Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:27 pm

I have a colostomy and peanuts don't bother me.

Reply by Anamsnamh, on Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:13 am

I have a stoma now for over 6 years. Initially I couldn't eat any nuts but now can eat walnuts and some pecans.... not too many at the same time and chew until the pieces are very small.  You probably won't get any nutrition as I don't they they can be absorbed but at least you can enjoy.  Everyone is different.  I can't digest apples  or carrots... go figure...

Reply by Bill, on Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:04 am

Hello tmn86.

I am pleased that you have recieved so many sensible replies to your post. Whoever told you that nuts can cause a blockage was absolutely right -- but only in the sense that eating anything 'might' cause a blockage and eating nothing at all 'might also cause a blockage. 

Each of us respond to different foods in different ways so, like others have said, it's best to be careful and experiment to see what suits you and what doesn't. Also, I have found that what has caused problems in the past, does not necessarily continue to do so later. Keep an open mind and continue experimenting, so that you can optimise your input to you own taste and abilty to cope. I eat just whatever I fancy including nuts without much adverse effect. However, I always have some Metamucil on hand to push it all through if I think there might be a problem. 

Best wishes

Bill 

Reply by w30bob, on Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:40 am

Hi tmn,

Bill hit the nail on the head............everyone is different and it really depends on your underlying condition.  For me, no matter how much I chew nuts......I still get them in my bag....feels like grit or sand, but that's because I don't have much bowel to do any digesting.  If you're disease free you should be able to eat whatever you want.  If you have active Crohn's or Diverticulitis.......or any other bowel issues........you're asking for trouble eating anything that's hard to digest.  Everytime someone posts one of these "can I eat this" kind of question the answer will always be the same.......it depends.  So just be smart about it.  Try the food in question in a very small amount and see what comes out in your bag, unless you have Diverticulitis (and then don't eat anything hard to digest). If a single finely chewed anything causes a blockage you need to schedule surgery right away.......because you are an emergency waiting to happen and need to get that corrected ASAP. If it comes out gritty or is easily identifyable.......don't eat it any more.  If it's not detectable.......try eating a little more.  Common sense is the rule of the day here folks.    

regards,

bob

Reply by looking forward, on Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:26 am

be safe. just don't do it

Reply by panther, on Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:37 am

Yes it's possible as with all foods they could cause a blockage but in most cases don't. It's just trial and error we're all unique what's right for one is wrong for another just try a small amount and see how they go down, don't let someone else's problem with nuts make you fear eating them. I've never had a problem with nuts 

Reply by jaykay75, on Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:47 am

I second what xnine said... chew chew chew.

A small amount is ok for me, just enough to satisfy a craving. I limit myself to 1/3 of a cup. 

Reply by tmn86, on Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:10 pm
jaykay75 wrote:

I second what xnine said... chew chew chew.

A small amount is ok for me, just enough to satisfy a craving. I limit myself to 1/3 of a cup. 

Thank you - I'm just going to try!

Reply by tmn86, on Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:14 pm
w30bob wrote:

Hi tmn,

Bill hit the nail on the head............everyone is different and it really depends on your underlying condition.  For me, no matter how much I chew nuts......I still get them in my bag....feels like grit or sand, but that's because I don't have much bowel to do any digesting.  If you're disease free you should be able to eat whatever you want.  If you have active Crohn's or Diverticulitis.......or any other bowel issues........you're asking for trouble eating anything that's hard to digest.  Everytime someone posts one of these "can I eat this" kind of question the answer will always be the same.......it depends.  So just be smart about it.  Try the food in question in a very small amount and see what comes out in your bag, unless you have Diverticulitis (and then don't eat anything hard to digest). If a single finely chewed anything causes a blockage you need to schedule surgery right away.......because you are an emergency waiting to happen and need to get that corrected ASAP. If it comes out gritty or is easily identifyable.......don't eat it any more.  If it's not detectable.......try eating a little more.  Common sense is the rule of the day here folks.    

regards,

bob

You're so right, like with everything else I'm just going to try a small amount 🤔

Reply by Puppypug, on Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:59 pm

Hi. I've been too scared too! My doctor said stay away from all nuts

Reply by HenryM, on Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:41 pm

Many good replies here.  I eat pecans, peanuts, pralines, and popcorn occasionally.  Just don't overdo, hydrate, chew-chew-chew (same with everything, actually).  As messed up as our plumbing may be, we're still all different and will handle foods in our own unique way.  For instance, I can't eat melon; too pulpy.  But I handle corn on the cob with no problem.  Give it time, but don't assume anything is verboten.

Reply by gary S., on Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:30 pm

I eat nuts everyday without problems.  The key is to buy chopped nuts, chew a few at a time while sitting down and taking your time.  Nuts are delicious so why not enjoy them.  I do best with cashews and pecans. 

Reply by GrammieRed, on Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:34 pm

Do you have a colostomy or an ileo? How new is it? It's more of an issue if it's an ileo but as someone said, chew, chew, chew. However if it's new you need to start with a very small amount and go from there.

Reply by GrammieRed, on Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:40 pm
Puppypug wrote:

Hi. I've been too scared too! My doctor said stay away from all nuts

Do you have a colostomy or an ileo and how new is it? I've had both (an ileo now) and they react differently. If you've started getting back to regular food just remember to chew, chew, chew .... especially if it's an ileo. I have no problem with nuts now.

Reply by Texasmade, on Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:23 pm

I've had an ostomy for 7+ yrs. I eat peanuts everyday along with pastachios or pecans on occasion. Have never had an issue with blockage. If anything, I might get diarrhea if I eat too many. I'd say go with the advice given - we're each different and our bodies react differently. I eat anything I want. If the output is more liquid, I don't worry about it as long as I feel okay. Also have never had skin issues under the appliance - just keep skin clean. I feel I've really been fortunate - especially since I could easily have died but for a surgeon who wouldn't give up on me and with God giving him the right tools!

Reply by Ewesful, on Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:29 pm

itdepends on what your situation is  -- I have been told absolutely none but I use nut butters.  If you have an ileostomy, the answer is definitely no.

Ak your DR for a list of "no" foods   Mine gave me a 3 column one --- eat  and enjoy. --- okay bit not much --- absolutely No

Reply by GrammieRed, on Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:09 pm
Ewesful wrote:

itdepends on what your situation is  -- I have been told absolutely none but I use nut butters.  If you have an ileostomy, the answer is definitely no.

Ak your DR for a list of "no" foods   Mine gave me a 3 column one --- eat  and enjoy. --- okay bit not much --- absolutely No

Hi Ewesful, I have an ileo and I can eat nuts now and then with no issues. But I've had my ileo for 9 yrs and I chew, chew, chew.

Reply by vollovr, on Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:44 pm

Try softer nuts like cashews instead of peanuts

Reply by stickfloatdave, on Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:25 pm

I eat nuts all the time with no problems 

Reply by Vet72, on Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:56 pm

Maybe it largely depends on whether you have an ileostomy or a colostomy.  I have a colostomy, and eat lots of nuts just about every day: pistachios, macadamia, hazelnuts, peanuts etc etc.  I do notice that the output becomes somewhat thicker afterwards, but this never causes any sort of problems... apart from an occasional 'pancaking' episode.   Maybe this because I am a vegetarian and so also eat loads of fresh fruit and vegetables, so have a lot of fibre in my diet.  However, I think that those people with ileostomies might need to be more careful with nuts, especially if they are prone to blockages.

Reply by Mariposa, on Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:26 am
Vet72 wrote:

Maybe it largely depends on whether you have an ileostomy or a colostomy.  I have a colostomy, and eat lots of nuts just about every day: pistachios, macadamia, hazelnuts, peanuts etc etc.  I do notice that the output becomes somewhat thicker afterwards, but this never causes any sort of problems... apart from an occasional 'pancaking' episode.   Maybe this because I am a vegetarian and so also eat loads of fresh fruit and vegetables, so have a lot of fibre in my diet.  However, I think that those people with ileostomies might need to be more careful with nuts, especially if they are prone to blockages.

I eat small amounts of nuts everyday.   I do chew them completely.  

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:12 pm

I imagine there is the possibility of a blockage with many foods but, as you will hear repeatedly, chew chew chew! Lol

i eat nuts often and have never had a blockage! Even when  you think you chewed your bits well, chew some more. Have had them come back whole. That surely lets me know when I have not done a very good job chewing! 
Puppy

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.