White Water Rafting with a Stoma - Concerns about Wetsuit Fit

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses tips and advice for individuals with a stoma who are concerned about the fit of a wetsuit while participating in white water rafting.
DaisyMae

Hi everyone. I am curious if anyone has done white water rafting. I am going with a group of friends to Yellowstone. It is a good possibility that we might go rafting. Actually, that is on my bucket list to do. I'm concerned about the wetsuit that they give you to wear. Will it be really tight over my bag? I don't want it to be very obvious that I have a bag.

Thanks,

Daisy

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

xnine

I went before my operation and think you will be okay. Empty before you put the suit on. Good luck.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Riva

It should be fine. Remember to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Enjoy

Past Member

DaisyMae, whitewater rafting is so much fun! Honestly, I don't think anyone will even notice whether you're wearing a bag or not - people will be so focused on paddling and trying to keep from being thrown out of the raft (or trying to get thrown out of the raft!) and laughing their guts out. I agree with xnine - be sure you empty just before you get in the raft, and you should be fine. Have a great time!

Laurie

Past Member

You will be okay. Bag won't be a problem...just get out there and have fun...1 Life, live it!

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
w30bob

Hi DaisyMae,

I'm not sure if your question was answered or if I understand your question entirely. Are you concerned about the wetsuit being too tight because there's a good possibility you will output during your rafting.......or are you asking if an ostomy bag is visible with a wetsuit on? Either way, a wetsuit is supposed to fit tightly. That's how it insulates you from the cold water. It's not baggy in any way, so if you have output while wearing it, and it's a decent amount of output your bag will be pushed up flat against your body by the suit. The neoprene material doesn't have a lot of "give" to it, so the suit won't bulge where your bag is just because you have output. So your bag won't be noticeable by others because the neoprene obscures minor details of what's under it.

But I'd be more concerned about how constrained the ostomy bag will be and if it will fill properly if you do have output. The wetsuit isn't like wearing something made of Spandex that stretches. You fit in a wetsuit.......it doesn't fit to you. So depending on your body shape, etc, it may be a very tight fit across the midsection and press your bag very tightly to your body, hindering output flow. If you're skinny as a rail then probably not an issue. If I'm still not answering your question just go to a sporting goods store like Dick's or Bass Pro Shop and try one on. You'll see what I mean about the material. Then you can judge for yourself if it works for you or not.

Regards,

Bob

Past Member

Bob, you are quite right about how a wetsuit fits, but DaisyMae can always go up a size if she feels the wetsuit is too tight. I've done that, and it's not perfect, but it works. If it's a little big, and it lets some water in, she won't be cold for very long with all the paddling she'll be doing. If she's really concerned about output, she could invest in something like a Stealth belt, but that would be fairly obvious, even under the wetsuit. DaisyMae, do you have a colostomy? I can't remember if you told us. If you do, you could try irrigating the night before, and that would give you the entire day without worry. That would be a best-case scenario. Don't let your ostomy interfere with your plans. You can do this!

Laurie

Maried

Hi Daisy, I saw this on another website, Inspire.

This man is a surfer.

June 20, 2012 at 11:52 am
Dear chellebarnes,
No worries about wearing a wetsuit. I surf and am in a wetsuit for hours at a time. I've made dozens of rafting trips on our local Class III/IV American River as an ostomate.

Recommendations:
Take it easy on the food intake the day before and if you tolerate it, pop an Imodium or two to firm up your stool. Put on a new wafer and pouch and lubricate the pouch with some cooking spray like Pam. If you are not adhesive sensitive, apply a Sure Guard Ring over your wafer http://www.alpglobal.com/Free-Sample-Request.html or use some waterproof surgical tape around the edges of the wafer (again, test it for skin sensitivity before you go). Let a little air into the pouch before you put on the wetsuit; this will keep it from pancaking and give the stool a little room to flow in without pushing under the wafer. Add an ostomy belt that fits your product and snug everything down, and you're good to go!

If you plan on doing lots of water activities, you may want to invest in a StealthBelt (about $100.00) but worth the investment. More info at: www.stealthbelt.com. If you want something more fashionable, check out www.ostomysecrets.com line of wraps and intimate wear.

I have had great success with Convatec's moldable wafers and closed-end pouches. They stay on even after hours in the water, and the disposable closed-end pouches make changes when camping convenient. You can talk to a Convatec ostomy nurse and get free samples by calling 800.422.8811 or email ****.

Check out my YouTube channel for all the crazy stuff I do as an ostomate. NO LIMITS!

http://youtu.be/dsN9Jmgg6cE

Immarsh

Hi Daisy Mae, I'm Marsha, now 71, but have had my ileostomy since I was 15. After I fully recovered, I did all the things I wanted to do... some easy, some not so much. I was a "teen" so I didn't prepare all that much. I dated, went skiing (a big flop and couldn't get up=weak stomach muscles). Learned to ice skate... where I often "flopped" as well. Thankfully, the rim around the ostomy appliances, back then, kept me safe. Through the years, I water skied (and also flopped), not really athletic, but did snorkel in the Caribbean, and in Australia on the Great Barrier Reef. In Israel, I went in the Dead Sea, and didn't plan for the consequences of the highly salted water... forcing my pouch to detach from the wafer. What a mess. I didn't plan for that either (foolish gal) and didn't have spare supplies, but a shower and tape solved the problem.

As for white water rafting... that was on my bucket list for years, and I actually got to do it on the Snake River in Jackson Hole, WY. Again, I didn't "plan", but was concerned about getting into a suit. I knew it would be tight (and I was chubby) but I went for a size bigger than what I would generally wear. I didn't eat much the night before, or early that am, so I knew output would be less. I was just careful about pulling on the suit, so I didn't pull off the pouch. Once it was on, I was set. I chose not to sit in the front row because (I wasn't that confident in my ability to help direct the raft) and I chose to sit on the left (w/ ostomy on my right side) so I could easily lean against the side of the raft for balance, and without worry. In the end... all worked out well, and I would have done it again and again, if the opportunity presented itself. Just think it through, and unlike me (plan) for any possibility you can think of. And then, as the song says... "Let it Go" and enjoy the experience. I've found that when wearing the appropriate appliance, the stoma is "practically" indestructible. Best of luck... Marsha

Bill

Hello Daisiemae. 

You already have some great answers, so I will just add my bit by saying that I did white water rafting in the Buller Gorge - NZ and had no problems. Great fun ! and I'm sure you will enjoy the experience. Just a word of caution: Try to stay seated with your feet on the bottom of the raft. My sister became dislodged and found herself in the bottom of the boat where the rocks hit her and did no end of damage. 

Best wishes

Bill