Nighttime Bag Emptying: Seeking Advice and Solutions

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses tips and solutions for emptying ostomy bags during the night, aiming to provide support and advice for managing nighttime bag emptying challenges.
bukowski

I've had my ileostomy since 2015. I have to empty my bag a crap load of times throughout the night. (See what I did there?). It seems to have gotten worse over time. I've changed my eating schedule to eating small amounts throughout the day, instead of full meals. I don't eat after 5 or 6pm. If I do, it's just some crackers or a cheese stick. Getting up 6-10 times every night is not unusual. I average 3-5 hours of sleep. I function, but, this can't be healthy. Can anyone relate, or offer any advice? This sh*t has got to stop! (See what I did there?).

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Puppyluv56

Hi Buk,

I just went through a time like that recently. I had started a new supplement that was doing me in. I started on magnesium for some nerve and muscle issues and it really upset my routine! I have a colostomy and irrigate, so it was driving me crazy until I found out what it was. I am not one to relate food or medications to symptoms. That med had been my only change. Once I stopped the magnesium, it stopped. So, has any of your medicines changed or the dosage? I usually think, what did I eat? It did take me a while to put it together. Secondly, have you eaten a food that you have not had in a while? I know any kind of fruit is not kind to me. I hate that and eat it anyway but expect the consequences.
Otherwise, a possible stomach bug. Maybe call your doc if all else fails.
Sure, hope you find the cause of all this. You must be dehydrated with all that going on!
Good luck!
Puppyluv

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
HenryM

Bukowski:  My reaction is that it's diet related.  You've had your surgery long enough now to likely know what makes you run more than other things, but sometimes it's difficult to narrow it down, I suppose.  I too stop eating at 6 PM to minimize my nightly potty trips.  If I was experiencing your issue, I'd reflect hard over my diet to try and identify potential things that're causing the activity.  Milk products, for instance?  Fruits?  Coffee?  We all have different systems, notwithstanding that we have the same sort of surgery, and finding the likely culprit isn't easy sometimes.  Any new item recently ingested?  I doubt that questioning your doctor would help solve this, as they have no real knowledge about the practical workings of an ostomy.  Maybe an ostomy nurse could offer guidance based on her experience.  Good luck with it.    Henry M

ron in mich

Hi Buk, do you take Imodium or generic Loratidine to slow things down? I take one before meals otherwise food goes right through me. But I also eat foods like bananas, applesauce, and peanut butter to thicken my output.

Puppyluv56

I have also tried eating a marshmallow in the morning to slow output during the daytime. In your case, maybe eating a marshmallow prior to your last evening meal would help that process as well. I too use Imodium on occasion, but I'm kinda like that person who hates any kind of drugs. Both of them work though.
pup

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Longroad78

I like what HenryM said, check into not only when you're eating but what. At night, are you emptying a lot of content or is it gas? Check for an unidentified food allergy. I myself could not touch dairy; it would be game over for me for two days. Also, cucumbers are not something I trust at night. If this has gotten worse, medication is okay, but check into taking a good probiotic to get some good bacteria into your gut. As you're pushing so much out of you so fast, you're probably low on good bacteria in your gut.

You did not say what led up to your ileostomy, but if this is something that has progressively gotten worse, check with your doctor to see if he has some input or concerns.

Hope this helps you.

lovely

Hi Bukowski, I don't have that problem but it sounds like you have gotten some good advice. Please update us when you find the solution as that could help someone else with the same problem.