Chew Thoroughly to Avoid Blockages: A Lesson Learned the Hard Way

Replies
Views
freedancer

I learned a sad lesson today. It is about making sure you chew everything completely. I am now officially off of French fries for a while. I had lunch with my son yesterday and rushed through my French fries. This morning I awoke with a frightening stoma blockage. It was extremely painful and I am still passing clumps of French fries that are causing great discomfort. I managed to take a shower and dislodge most of it but with great difficulty. It is ten times harder to change the barrier and bag if things are still clearing because as soon as you clean and get ready to replace, things dislodge and cause dire issues again. Having one hand in a non-movable cast is causing more stress because I cannot move as quickly. I will be glad to have use of my hand again and will be doubly glad to finally have this blockage cleared. I need to not rush when I eat. It is not worth the pain later.

Past Member

Oh, freedancer. You are having a rough time right now. Glad to hear that things are easing, but you need a couple of days of everything going perfectly! Take good care of yourself, and I hope the hand heals quickly.

Laurie

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,368 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Axl

Whoa ... you are doing it tough, I hope you have some assistance of some sort to get you through.

Take care.

Axl.

Puppyluv56

Ouch! Sorry you had to go through all that! Lesson learned! Now just take it easy! Who would have thought that happening with French fries! Crazy!

Puppyluv

ron in mich

Hi Freedancer, sorry to hear you're having problems. I also can't tolerate FF, and I like the ones from BK, although they are usually too salty. But I can only eat about half an order as they seem to bunch up and cause me problems.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
w30bob

Hi Free,

Ditto on the French fries... I usually get them every day at McDonald's and I have to chew them well... otherwise, I get parts of them fully intact in my bag about an hour later. For shits and grins, I tried installing my barrier this morning with just my left hand. Ummm... that's like impossible!! I feel for ya now. I got it done, but it wasn't pretty or quick. I realized I was in deep shit as soon as I couldn't hold my barrier to cut the hole in it without another hand. The rest of the cleanup and install didn't go any better. I totally underestimated the difficulty of doing what you're doing... so my bad. If you've got this, you are better than me, 'cause I was cussing up a storm. Good thing the pooch doesn't understand English!

Regards,

Bob

Past Member

I remember having similar problems when I had to use my left hand for 3 months as I have very little feeling in it. It was very challenging at times! Surprising what you can manage to do when it's your only option.