3M Micropore Tape: Amazing Adhesion, Tricky Removal

Replies
Views
w30bob

Hi gang,

So I've been using the 3M Micropore tape around the outside edge of my barrier for swimming and working outside in the heat. It does a stellar job of keeping my barrier bandage edge from lifting under all conditions. The stuff is just amazing. But (there's always a but) it's a bit of a pain in the arse to get it off.....because it sticks so well. I've tried a variety of "adhesive remover" wipes, and they do work.......but it takes quite a few wipes (they sure do dry out quickly, don't they?) and even when my skin appears fully cleaned I can still feel some glue residue on it after everything is nice and clean and dry. So I went over to 3M's website for Micropore figuring it would tell me exactly what "remover" it recommended. Well........not quite. But I did learn a few things

Question:
How can I get Micropore tape to stick better?

Answer:
Micropore tape has the lowest adhesion to dry skin of all the 3M medical tapes.
However, it has the highest adhesion to skin that is damp and then dries. You
may increase adhesion by gently but firmly pressing the tape to the skin (or
tubing) or dampen the skin with water, pat dry, and then apply the Micropore
tape. Most people will notice increased adhesion within 5 minutes.

Question:
What is the best way to remove tape?

Answer:
Proper tape removal is critical in reducing the occurrence of traumatic skin
injuries such as skin stripping. First, loosen the edges of the tape. You may
"start" an edge of the tape by pressing a small piece of tape onto the corner, like
a pop tab, and lifting – pressure-sensitive adhesive! Stabilize the skin with one
finger. Remove the tape "low and slow" in the direction of hair growth. Keep the
tape close to the skin surface and pulled back over itself. Removing tape at an
angle will increase tension on the epidermis and increase the risk of mechanical
trauma. As the tape is removed, continue to support the newly exposed skin.
Support close to the "peel edge" is particularly important for thin or easily
distensible skin.
For tape that is strongly adhered to skin or hair, you may consider using a
medical-grade adhesive remover or moisturizer to soften the adhesive. 3M tape
adhesives are not readily dissolved in alcohol.

Ok, so this stuff has the LOWEST adhesion of all their tapes? Wow.....don't think I'll mess with the more potent ones....this one is tough enough to get off. Speaking of which......did you catch that last sentence in the second answer above......the adhesives on this tape are not dissolved by alcohol. Maybe that explains why my adhesive remover wipes don't work worth a crap. Guess sometimes it does pay to read the instructions.

Anyway, it's great stuff and does the job I need it to.........just thought I'd pass this info on in case anyone else is considering it.

Regards,

Bob

looking forward

Ah, no wonder I never had a problem and sometimes can go almost a week. I live in Florida and have to avoid the sun so I don't go swimming.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,467 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Loki

Hi Bob

I use a Brava product called Brava Elastic Tape over the top of the barrier. It is amazing once you stick it on, it's like your skin, much stickier than the barrier ring itself. https://www.coloplastcharter.co.uk/Charter/coloplast/brava/rings-paste-and-tape/brava-elastic-tape/?utm_campaign=CHA_UK_EN_AW_Text_OC_SP_Range_BMM gclid=Cj0KCQjw6575BRCQARIsAMp-ksPvxew3F3Et7MvdhJX75TQusUi6flJASdqPgHHm69ssjld4a4kwjWIaAl7uEALw_wcB gclsrc=aw.ds

Then I use a Salts adhesive remover spray.

https://www.salts.co.uk/en-gb/products/additional-products/salts-adhesive-remover-spray

Paul

MBT

Mineral oil or petroleum jelly can be used to remove adhesives. The downside is that nothing will stick to your skin after that!

Silicone adhesive removers do a nice job without turning your skin into Teflon. That "low and slow" phrase is

Melanie

MBT

3M also has some silicone-based tape that might be helpful and easier on skin. I cannot vouch for it leaving less residue.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
w30bob

Hi NWO,

Ahh... forgot about MO and Vaseline... but you're right about it leaving your skin a bit too slick for anything else to adhere to. What surprised me on the 3M website for the tape was that they didn't list their own adhesive remover product with the tape. I've tried a number of adhesive removers now and the best one by far is the Convatec Sensi-Care Sting Free Adhesive Remover. But I've got a few more to try. Weather is supposed to be continued hot, so I'll be wearing my tape around the border. That'll give me the opportunity to try a few more things. Maybe gasoline? Hmmmm... maybe not. Smells a bit!

;0)

Bob

Maried

This tape is really amazing. It really locks the bag on your tummy and is pretty much waterproof.

w30bob

Hi Maried,

Yeah, it really is. I used 3M's stronger Transpore tape when I had my PICC line, and that stuff stuck so good you had to use an adhesive remover or it would rip your skin off. Don't ask how I know that.

;0)

Bob