Need Help with Sore Stoma Edge & Hernia - Desperate for Solutions!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Verdun

Help please

I find I have a hernia at the side of my stoma, so it has disappeared into a tunnel. I'm told. So the dreaded poo doesn't go in the pouch.

Soooo, I'm so sore and bleeding. Very painful. Stone nurse has tried everything she can think of. No success. I'm at the end of my tether. Ruining my life. Any ideas out there???

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Verdun, are you saying that you are not able to defecate at all? Or are you saying that the feces won't drop down into the pouch? Two very different problems - if you could clarify, we might be able to give you some suggestions. Also, click on Collections at the top of this page, and then look in Premium Content. Check all the forum topics there that might be helpful to your situation.

If you are unable to defecate at all, you have a blockage, and should go straight to the hospital.

Laurie

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
bowsprit

Somebody from the UK who had an urgent problem was told by someone in the UK that as it is past the hours now to call NHS 111 for advice. Surely, someone here who knows about hernias will give sound advice soon.

MBT

Have you directly contacted the ostomy manufacturers? I'm thinking of Convatec and Coloplast who keep stoma nurses available for phone consultation.

If your stoma nurse cannot assist you, perhaps you should follow up with your surgeon? Sometimes severe hernias require stoma revision and hernia repair to maintain stoma function.

MBT

I hope it does not require revision!

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
walderpeee

I also have a hernia at the stoma site. So far, my poop collects at the top of the bag like a "pancake". I have been lucky it doesn't leak out of the bag onto the barrier. I use the barrier then attach the bag. I don't like the one-piece system because it will leak!! I can have the barrier last up to 7 days before I need to change it. Maybe try the two-piece system to avoid leaks.