Barrier Breakthroughs: Weight Gain and Shelf Life Concerns

Replies
Views
Past Member

I think we've all experienced a bag change where we peel off the barrier and realize "they broke through the front line". Recently it's been happening more often. I have 2 issues and I'd like to know if these could be a reason.

1. Weight gain- I wear a convex wafer, and have gained my Covid-20. The skin around my stoma is a little softer than usual.

2. Older products- I had a few backup supplies I started using and am curious what a typical shelf life is for barriers. I use ConvaTec, and don't believe it says on the package.

I know some people say they get less wear time in the summer, but that has not been the case for me.

Thanks in advance for any input about the output.

Maried

All of the above can change the wear time of your bag. Heat, weight change, and old bags also cause wet rashes around your stoma.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,502 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Puppyluv56

All of the above could be an issue with wear time. Typical shelf life of the ostomy supplies is 5 years but that could lessen if they were not stored in a cool place. The expiration date is on each box but it is a code and if they tell you, they will have to kill you. Lol I posted how to read the code about two years ago. May have to go back and find that to repost!
I do know that if I gain weight, everything changes.
If you are in the heat or humidity during the summer and perspire more, that too is an issue. Sometimes the products change (for the better, not) no one tells you and you find that your skin does not like the new and improved product! Sometimes it is just a bad batch. It is tricky!
Hope you figure out which of the options are giving you fits!
Pup

Past Member

Coloplast has a new product made for hernias and uneven surfaces around the stoma area. The flange is a star shape, so it's easier to fit over bulges and scars, etc. I haven't used it, so I can't comment on it, but it sure looks interesting. You could give Coloplast a call and ask for a sample. Worth a try.

Laurie

Puppyluv56

Yay! It took a while but I found the code!

I googled this and the example they gave was messed up but I got the gist of it. It is the Lot # on the side of the box. My lot is 8A06114. The first number is the year, 2018. The letter is the month A=Jan B=Feb C=March and so on, so mine is Jan of 2018. The next is the day of the month. This being the 6th and the last 114 is their machine code. So my box expires 5 years from Jan., 6th 2018. Can they make it any harder? Lol

pup

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
w30bob

Hi TTG,

So... all good info for sure... but you're still probably sitting there saying "ok, but what do I do to stop the leaks?" You're going to have to do a little investigating. You need to take note of where the leaks are occurring... is it always in the same area... or random? If it's the same area, then you have your first clue. Next, when you remove your barrier, you need to take notice of how well it's adhering to your skin. Is it adhering in spots... or everywhere except where the leak is? Is your output going under your ring (are you using a ring) or is the ring breaking down? What is your skin like under your barrier? Do you have skin folds covered by your barrier? These are the kinds of questions your ostomy nurse will be asking you when you talk to them. The next time you change your barrier, take a picture after each step of the removal so the nurse can see what you see. Your barrier will tell you why it's leaking, but you have to notice the details. And your ostomy nurse may see things that you don't notice or think are important. You should also reach out to the barrier manufacturer and show them your leak pics. They are a wealth of knowledge and have most likely seen your problem before... so contact them. You can get there from here... it'll just take a little effort. So get on that!

Regards,

Bob

Immarsh

Hi, great info from Bob. He just about covered all bases. But I know how you must feel. I used to get 7-10 days out of my convex, Convatec ileostomy wafer/pouch. A bit less in the summer, when it was hot, or I did a lot of showering (hot water?) or swimming. It would soften the wafer. I've learned to take shorter, hot showers. But a few years ago, I noticed that the lower part of my 55-year-old stoma was pulling further back into the skin, causing a "hollow/dent" under the stoma. Hence, the leaking started. That's when I started with the convex. It helped somewhat. Then I used more "stomahesive paste," but the output leaked through that. I used the Elkin seals, and sometimes it worked and other times not. Sometimes it stays on a week, other times, I need to change 3x in one day. New medical issues... lots of gas and water-like output... Turns out to be similar to IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). I've begun reacting to the sugars (even artificial ones) found in foods, fruits, and veggies. First, it causes a lot of gas, and then the body/intestine fills with lots of water. Research the FODMAP Diet, which describes the foods most likely to trigger the liquid output. I just thought my digestion had changed, but a visit to my gastro gave me an instant diagnosis. It's a trial and error search to see which foods trigger "the runs" which then eat away at the wafer... (It's like gastric acid). For me, it's limiting artificial (and regular sugars), fruits, beans, and quite a few veggies. What's left is not a healthy diet, and I'm also diabetic, so it's a balance. But in the end, my goal is to keep the wafer/appliance on... Too much gas is a symptom of "I ate the wrong thing." I hope this helps anyone who has this issue... The stoma nurses I went to were of no help at all. I've had 55 years of experience, and they didn't/couldn't suggest anything I hadn't tried... Best of luck, Marsha

Bill

Hello Puppyluv. Thanks for this information. It never occurred to me before to look at the use-by date but after your post I couodn't resist. It turns out that here in the UK  Coloplast make it abundantly clear on their boxes by putting the full date of manufacture and use-by dates. They even have icons of a factory and an eggtimer!!

Best wishes

Bill 

w30bob

Hi Marsha,

To be honest, my experience with ostomy nurses has been spotty at best. They've always been incredibly nice people... a few even gave me their home numbers and addresses in case I'm having a real problem and couldn't get to a doctor or hospital. How nice (and trusting) is that? They do try hard, but without actually having the issues themselves, they just don't have a good feel for what we go through. And we all do the same to other folks who have issues we can't relate to. So I understand. That doesn't help us... but you have to give them an "A" for effort and appreciate their willingness to help. Despite that, I still suggest people having issues contact an ostomy nurse. Sometimes they do surprise and have an effective solution... so it's worth the effort to seek them out. Ultimately, our own care and well-being is our responsibility, not theirs... so I find it's better to take the time to learn about the issue and understand what's involved and the current options, rather than just trust that a health professional will take care of my issue and I can focus on other things. If find that has rarely, if ever, worked out as planned.

Sorry to hear about your IBS-like situation. Sugars always trigger the water dump you describe, but other parts of the intestine are responsible for reabsorbing that water before it leaves your body. From your brief description of the problem, it sounds like the part of your intestine that reabsorbs the water isn't functioning well. I'd be curious to hear what you find out is the cause for your situation... it could be a good piece of knowledge to tuck away for later day use, if the situation arises. Please let us know how you make out.

Regards,

Bob

eddie

One thing that helped me is using Hollister Convex rings as well as a convex barrier. I have had an ileo for many years.

eddie

I am a nurse, still working 12-hour shifts full time, have had ileo for 18 years. If I can help, I would answer any questions to the best of my ability.

w30bob

Hi Eddie! Wow... you're the second nurse with an ostomy on here! That's awesome. Looking forward to hearing your opinion on things!!

Regards,

Bob

eddie

Yes, at first it was really rough. My husband, whom I truly adored and loved, passed away 6 months before my ostomy. I had issues with leaking and everything else. So I try my best to help others through this so they won't have the problems as long.   I teach patients before and after surgery, although   I am not an ostomy nurse, I live with one every day!   Thank you.