Blood Around the Stoma

Replies
Views
Adelaide

I have had my ileostomy for 6 years now...and have lately, been getting some bleeding around the base of the stoma...

Any thoughts?

Bill

Hello Adelaide.Thanks for sharing this with us. I is a timely post for me in that mine has just started bleeding (again). This seems to happen intermittently, sometimes for no discernible reason and sometimes because of things that are obvious (once I've identified them). If the root cause of the bleeding is rectified, then it usually stops and heals up within a few days. If not, then it keeps being aggravated and lasts longer. Below are some of the things I know have happened to start mine off.

1) The edge of the wafer has touched the stoma. At first I had problems with cutting the hole too samll. These little plastic beggars act like a paper-cut if they get near the sensitive stoma. Sometimes I may have got the placing slightly wrong, which allowed the wafer to touch the stoma when I was doing any bending or lifting. Some people use pastes or rings to avoid this happening - but I have not got to that point yet.

2) Touching the stoma whilst wiping the surrounding skin; Sometimes I'm not as careful or gentle as I should be when cleaning around the stoma and this makes that area bleed. 

3) Experimenting : In the past I have tried all sorts of different things to help in stoma management. Sometimes I get it wrong and this can end up with bleeding.

4) The last few bouts of bleeding have had no discernible causes; I simply carry on with my normal routine and it usually goes away in a few days. 

It's all a bit of a pain in the (belly) butt. However, looking on the bright side, I used to bleed even more from my anus and, in those days, I couldn't see what was going on, so had no chance of trying to put it right.

If it continues to concern you, then a trip to the stoma nurse (or a phone call) might bring you some answers and/or reassurances.

Let us know how you get on 

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,356 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Lost_Treasure

Hi Adelaide... always remember that the outside of your stoma is just the inside of your intestine, hence the reason for the continually replaced mucus that is protecting the surface. However, it is exceedingly delicate, with a blood supply very close to the surface and therefore it is very easy to cause bleeding. First thing is to measure your stoma and see if there is a change in the shape or size and to ascertain if you need to cut a larger aperture on your base plate. The occasional small bleed is not abnormal and a puff of stoma powder will normally seal the bleed very quickly. If it's constant bleeding, you need to see a Stoma Therapy Nurse ASAP.

royalrosepdx

My stoma bleeds so bad. I have had silver nitrate applied by a wound care nurse twice.