Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Dating 21,176 members

Celebrating 10 Years of Ostomy Awareness

Posted by xnine, on Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:47 pm

I got an Email from Hollister

Ostomy Awareness Day is October 3rd

This year marks the 10th anniversary of Ostomy Awareness Day and we’re honored to stand with the entire ostomy community in celebration.

Reply by Padfoot, on Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:02 pm

Oh, I would, but I think I'm busy that day......celebrating anything but that.

Laurie

Reply by Bill, on Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:39 am

I suppose they could have called it Stoma Awareness Day and those people who are so inclined may have deemed it as 'SAD'. 

Best wishes

Bill

Reply by bowsprit, on Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:51 am

Celebration is the wrong word chosen by Hollister. Those effected will probably be in a sombre mood that day.

Reply by HenryM, on Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:40 pm

Just who are we making aware of ostomies, and why?

Reply by xnine, on Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:22 pm

Everyone, to let them know we are just like them only with some plumbing changes. It seems everyone has their day and Oct  3rd is ours. Last weekend the Sunday was grandparents day, who knew. To make people aware so when they find out someone has an Ostomy their jaw does not drop or they make some kind of rude comment. It is not that I am going to go down the street waving a bag. It is all about acceptance and support.

Reply by lovely, on Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:45 pm

We had discussed about people not being aware that some handicaps are not visible. We talked about peoplle looking at us funny when we use the handicap stalls in the bath room. Also when we park in a handicap parking space and get out of the car and walk pretty normal.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.