Need Help with Irritated Stoma Skin - Desperate for Solutions!

Replies
Views
Mggy34

Recently, the skin right around the edge of my stoma has gotten very irritated - raw and bleeding. My barriers are not getting a good seal, and I am at a loss about what to do. I've tried paste and rings, both paste and rings, nothing but barrier, powder, no powder, Hollister, ConvaTec, and Coloplast, two-piece and one-piece. I have tried different positions when putting on the barrier...lying flat, sitting up, standing up, slightly bent over. Nothing is keeping the output contained at the edge. I don't know what else to do... it's getting painful. My ostomy nurse doesn't have any suggestions either, so I figured someone on here might have tried something I haven't thought of.

Past Member

Hi Maggie,

Given that you have had some very serious skin issues around your stoma in the past, I wonder if you should go directly to your doctor with this. I think that's what I would do. Better to be overly cautious, with your history.

Laurie

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,422 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mggy34

Yesterday my GI made me an appointment with a medical dermatologist to see if she can help. And to make sure it's nothing serious.  

Past Member

I'm very glad to hear that. Please let us know how things go. Good luck.

Laurie

Bill

Hello Mggy34. 

Sorry to hear that you are having these problems.  You are definitely doing the right thing by getting advice from a dematologist as people with sensitive skin can react to all manner of different things. Also, it may not be your output that is causing the problem.  It turned out that I was allergic to latex, so I have to be careful what things like surgical gloves are made of. I also react to certain types of plastic when it's on my skin for too long. 

I have made a range of devices to channel the output away from the stoma so that it never gets near the edge. Since I began irrigating, this has become much less of a problem and I only use a 90degree waste bend to channel it away so that it goes further down the sleeve without touching the skin or the stoma. I use aquagel to protect the area immediately around the stoma, but I'm not sure if this would remain in place if I was using a bag. (You can see my home made baseplate and bend on my profile photos ). I did make quite a snug-fit device out of plaster of paris, which came up the stoma by about half-inch or so and channelled the output away from the skin. However,  it very quickly became soiled and was deemed (by me) to be of little practical use in the longer-term. I also tried a cut-off condom, until I discovered the same sort of thing by one of the manufacturers called a 'Stomaguard' - I would highly recommend trying these  as they are very soft material, a snug fit (if you get the right size) and easy to use.  I fixed them to my own baseplates so they lasted quite a while. 

I do hope you manage to find a solution to your problem quickly 

Best wishes

Bill 

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
dadnabbit

Hey Mggy34

I also have very sensitive skin, and have had issues in the past with irritation and oozing. I found a wound gel called Anacept by Anacapa Technologies. It is clear and greaseless, and I use it when making a change if there is any skin abrasion. I make sure the area is clean, and I apply a small amount to the irritated skin, letting it absorb a bit before rubbing it in and wiping it dry. I have also found that the seals tend to irritate my skin even further, so I have done away with using them. After I wipe the skin dry, I use a Coloplast barrier wipe, allowing that to dry completely before applying a one-piece pre-cut Sen Sura Mio for my ileostomy. Since I started using this system, I have had no skin issues. If the skin underneath the Mio is itching, the Mio probably needs to be changed. I have also found that not using the seals has not caused leaks as long as I apply the Mio properly. I have decided that for myself, less is more. Good luck finding the right solution for you.

PEACE

Dadnabbit

dadnabbit

Hey Mggy34

Sorry for the duplicate post. Having trouble with my fingers....

Dadnabbit

collie123

Dear Meggy34,

After 2.5 years of having clear skin around my stoma (I have a urostomy), my skin has suddenly become very sore, very red (I am a black woman) so quite noticeable and I have begun to wonder if I have suddenly developed an allergy to latex. The pouch now seems to have imprinted on my skin....if that makes any sense. The barriers suddenly appear to be aggravating the situation. I am very interested in responses that cover how to smooth inflamed skin around the stoma. The powder is no longer working.

I hope everyone is well.

Thank you for the experienced voices. It is very much appreciated.

Kind regards from C in London (UK)

Mggy34

I have noticed that in my situation too. In addition to the bleeding and irritated skin at the edge, there is a perfect square that matches the shape of the barrier. So maybe I have a two-fold problem! 

I hope your situation gets better... it's so frustrating...

kstyle

Hello - I had a similar problem and I learned a trick at the Cleveland Clinic. They gave me Hollihesive squares #7700 to try. They come 5 in a box and look like a square piece of cheese. I cut them into 1" rectangles and place them paper side down picture framing my stoma and then the wafer sticks to the squares and not your skin. The skin will heal below just fine - at least it did for me. I swear by them for a more secure seal than anything else. Hope this helps!

K

collie123

Gosh, good morning.

Having seen your post, I plucked up the courage to text my stoma nurse this morning. Your enquiry made me feel so normal and the realization that I needed to seek help.

I am a stubborn, very independent woman, and it is very hard for me to ask for help.

I shall explore the product you indicate above.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. It makes a huge difference.

Take care of you.

C from London (UK)

Old Bud

Have had many of the same experiences. Finally went to a convex flange ConvaTec with no barrier and stuck directly on. It is a moldable flange so no cutting and can shape to fit tightly around the stoma. Sometimes apply a little stoma powder around the stoma after applying the flange. I use a hot towel pressed up against for 15 minutes after changing to get it to stick hard. Sometimes hard to peel off when need to change. We used a skin protectant called Marathon, which comes with a little applicator to gently get very close to the stoma. Healed my skin after 2 uses. Also used to protect a wound under the flange that wasn't healing. It is expensive but works wonders. Good luck with your issues.

collie123

Dear Old Bud,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

That is a very interesting product.

Will explore.

Thank you.

C

Mggy34

Thank you all so much for your responses! I am still having issues....but I am seeing another stoma nurse today and I'm hoping she can help. I will discuss the ideas and products y'all suggested with her.

Thanks for the support!

Shar

I have a urostomy as well. Only 1 1/2 years. So still learning. But on a trip to the ER because of such bad skin--- little blisters very red and yes bleeding too. The dr said I had basically a very bad diaper rash. So that's how I treat it. When things get bad I pick a day I can sit for 3 hrs or so and remove my bag. Wash area well and apply a thin layer of diaper cream. Rub it in very well. All over good skin and bad. And yes right up to my stoma. Then another layer and finish with a very thick layer. Fold a towel and place over my stoma and sit -- drink coffee and read. Shower washing off cream and dry with hair dryer and put on new bag.

Next change things are great. Works for me.

collie123

Morning Shar,

That sounds like good practical advice.

I have been wanting to do something similar.

I will try today.

I will let you know how I get on.

Thank you for your response.

C

Sarah_79

I'm having awful skin problems after a month with a stoma. It's a loop ileostomy, so two stomas next to one another, and an oval shape overall, so premade circular products don't fit me. The skin has blisters which are incredibly painful - stinging and burning, plus peeling areas and a very deep red wound which has now closed over, but aches. The areas where these issues are are hard, not soft and yielding like the other peristomal areas.
I've tried barrier rings, barrier spray, barrier wipes, stoma powder (a little, and a lot), drying with a hairdryer prior to application of a new bag, plus 5 different brands of bags and both flat and convex. The bags are all drainable. I've had to change them up to 4 times in a day sometimes, because the itching and burning around the stoma is intolerable.
Every time I change a bag, the effluent has leaked under whatever seal I've used, about 1-2cm underneath, all the way around. Nothing sticks to the skin that's sore, and right next to the stoma. Absolutely nothing. One day I tried attaching the bits of wafer I cut out, to make the oval shape, right up close to the stoma, and within minutes of putting a bag on, I looked in the viewing hole and the wafer is white, swollen from absorption, and I know that when I take this bag off, there will be output about 2cm underneath it, burning my skin.
I'm losing hope.
I've spoken to a stoma care nurse who is now out of suggestions. Nothing will stick to and protect my skin.
I have extremely sensitive skin and lots of allergies. I'm even allergic to calamine lotion.
Has anyone used a product that sticks to weepy, wet, bleeding skin and really grips on, preventing any effluent from seeping underneath? I'm desperate.
Sincere thanks. Sarah x

wearingit

Hi Maggie.

Here in upstate NY, I am very fortunate to live within 10 miles of two stoma or wound care nurse practitioners. They specialize in this area. Doctors do the surgery. These nurses take care of your skin. It would be of great interest to you to find one in your area. They even have a website. Google wound care or ostomy wound care nurses. I believe you can search location for one.

In my state, if they are NPs, you can go direct. If they are nurses only with a specialty in wound care, we need a referral, which is no issue.

This may be different in Louisiana. But, the main point is a wound care nurse is who you need to see. A doctor may be able to help, but not like someone who sees all the issues, all the time.

Good luck

Wearing it in upstate NY

Ontario Ostomate

When the same happened to me, my ostomy nurse suggested I ask my doctor to prescribe Flovent, an asthma inhaler. We puffed it on the excoriated skin and it cleared up in a day. Hope this helps!

Kim