Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships 21,248 members

Using Nystop Powder On My Urostomy

Talk to people who understand you Sign up today - for many, our community has been a life-changing experience.
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:04 pm

Hello.

I'm brand new here and I was wondering if I could get some tips on using Nystop powder around my stoma. I'm super new to this and the nurse wasn't much help. So ok... I have to use the Nystop powder and even though I use the skin prep (it's by 3M) my barrier won't stay stuck and I keep getting leaks. Like so often that I gotta change it a couple times a day. I tryed putting it on in layers like powder then spray on the 3M stuff more powder and more spray. If I don't use the powder at all I get no leaks at all and I can wear a barrier for like 5 days. This sucks having to change it so much.

Does anyone have any tips?

Thank you

Zach

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:16 pm

I have the nystop powder...I've used it a few times but I didn't find it very helpful for my particular skin issue. But I don't thing my problem was a fungal thing...it's an allergy.

anyway....I would sprinkle it on then rub it into my skin and let it sit for a few minutes, brush a paper towel across the area to knock off any excess, and  spray the skin protector stuff and let it dry...then stuck the barrier on. 

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:20 pm

Hi Zach- I'm not sure what products you are using but you may need a convex wafer or convex ring.  I also picture frame my urostomy with small rectangles of hollihesive squares #7700 by Hollister.  They look like a piece of square cheese and then I cut them into 1" rectangles. One on all 4 sides paper side down.  The wafer then sticks to the hollihesive and not your skin for added security.  My pouch lasts longer that way. No powder necessary. You can always call Hollister for samples.  I know COLOPLAST has a similar product- not sure about CONVATEC.  Hope this helps!

 

K

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:45 pm
kstyle wrote:

Hi Zach- I'm not sure what products you are using but you may need a convex wafer or convex ring.  I also picture frame my urostomy with small rectangles of hollihesive squares #7700 by Hollister.  They look like a piece of square cheese and then I cut them into 1" rectangles. One on all 4 sides paper side down.  The wafer then sticks to the hollihesive and not your skin for added security.  My pouch lasts longer that way. No powder necessary. You can always call Hollister for samples.  I know COLOPLAST has a similar product- not sure about CONVATEC.  Hope this helps!

 

K


Hi. Thank you for replying. Here's the stuff I use. I have a flat skin barrier from Hollister. I forget the number. I use the 3M skin barrier spray and i also use the hollister barrier wipes. And I use just a regular hollister pouch that fits the flange ring on the skin barrier. I have really flat abs and the doctor had to go thru the my ab muscle because its super flat. The stoma sticks out about 1 1/2 inches or so. Like I said if I don't have to use the powder i have like no problems at all and everything lasts for a long time. I have to use this powder becuse of a yeast infection that happened. I went to the hollister web site and I requested a sample if the adhesive square and i will try your suggestion when it gets here. Thank you very much! - Zach

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:54 pm
DairyCub wrote:
kstyle wrote:

Hi Zach- I'm not sure what products you are using but you may need a convex wafer or convex ring.  I also picture frame my urostomy with small rectangles of hollihesive squares #7700 by Hollister.  They look like a piece of square cheese and then I cut them into 1" rectangles. One on all 4 sides paper side down.  The wafer then sticks to the hollihesive and not your skin for added security.  My pouch lasts longer that way. No powder necessary. You can always call Hollister for samples.  I know COLOPLAST has a similar product- not sure about CONVATEC.  Hope this helps!

 

K


Hi. Thank you for replying. Here's the stuff I use. I have a flat skin barrier from Hollister. I forget the number. I use the 3M skin barrier spray and i also use the hollister barrier wipes. And I use just a regular hollister pouch that fits the flange ring on the skin barrier. I have really flat abs and the doctor had to go thru the my ab muscle because its super flat. The stoma sticks out about 1 1/2 inches or so. Like I said if I don't have to use the powder i have like no problems at all and everything lasts for a long time. I have to use this powder becuse of a yeast infection that happened. I went to the hollister web site and I requested a sample if the adhesive square and i will try your suggestion when it gets here. Thank you very much! - Zach


... anytime

Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:48 pm
Mggy34 wrote:

I have the nystop powder...I've used it a few times but I didn't find it very helpful for my particular skin issue. But I don't thing my problem was a fungal thing...it's an allergy.

anyway....I would sprinkle it on then rub it into my skin and let it sit for a few minutes, brush a paper towel across the area to knock off any excess, and  spray the skin protector stuff and let it dry...then stuck the barrier on. 


I just did what you told me and I hope it works. Leaking like a old garden hose is really bugging me. Thank you! - Zach

Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:39 am
DairyCub wrote:
Mggy34 wrote:

I have the nystop powder...I've used it a few times but I didn't find it very helpful for my particular skin issue. But I don't thing my problem was a fungal thing...it's an allergy.

anyway....I would sprinkle it on then rub it into my skin and let it sit for a few minutes, brush a paper towel across the area to knock off any excess, and  spray the skin protector stuff and let it dry...then stuck the barrier on. 


I just did what you told me and I hope it works. Leaking like a old garden hose is really bugging me. Thank you! - Zach

Hoping it works!! I get leaks all the time too...and it is sooo frustrating. 

Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:11 am

Hi Zach why are you using the powder is it due to raw skin around the stoma, if not dont use it even if the nurse reccomends it, make sure the skin is dry, i use tp around my stoma just before i put on the wafer, some people even use a hair dryer on warm setting to make sure the skin is dry.  good luck 

Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:17 pm
ron in mich wrote:

Hi Zach why are you using the powder is it due to raw skin around the stoma, if not dont use it even if the nurse reccomends it, make sure the skin is dry, i use tp around my stoma just before i put on the wafer, some people even use a hair dryer on warm setting to make sure the skin is dry.  good luck 


Hi Ron I have to use the stuff because yeast is on the skin under the entire wafer. It happened kinda sudden and the doc thinks I prolly picked it up at the gym so he prescribed the nystop powder so I stop making sourdough under the wafer. The stuff helps because its going away and I have to use it until its all gone away. I don't have a hair dryer but I do make sure thatt everything is like totally dry. Like I said its only because of the powder that things get leaky. When I didn't use it I could go says without changing the wafer. I'm even in the pool and it stays on. - Zach

Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:36 pm

You should NEVER need to change an appliance several times a day. If the area around your stomach is puffy or raised up, you should look into a convex wafer. I went through 6 months of leaks and "adding more stuff" to my routine. Going to a convex wafer solved those problems. Now I don't use any paste, powder, or adhesive. Also I CANT STRESS THIS ENOUGH... Get samples from all the different companies. They all have small nuisance differences in their product, so try em all. It will take some time, but you'll get there. I know it sounds like BS now, but the day will come when your stoma is an afterthought.

Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:57 pm

Hi, I have had my urostomy for over 58 years. If the it works with out the powder I wouldn't use it. I have never heard of that powder. 

I have found if you try it and it doesn't work stop. If you try it and it works for you do it. I don't use a powder.  If you want help keeping the flange on I use Coloplast Brava strips around the edges of the flange.

It is waterproof and it helps to keep your flange on.

You said it yourself if you don't use the powder the flange lasts longer. 

Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:00 pm
TimeToGrow wrote:

You should NEVER need to change an appliance several times a day. If the area around your stomach is puffy or raised up, you should look into a convex wafer. I went through 6 months of leaks and "adding more stuff" to my routine. Going to a convex wafer solved those problems. Now I don't use any paste, powder, or adhesive. Also I CANT STRESS THIS ENOUGH... Get samples from all the different companies. They all have small nuisance differences in their product, so try em all. It will take some time, but you'll get there. I know it sounds like BS now, but the day will come when your stoma is an afterthought.


Hi TimeToGrow. HOWDY NEIGHBOR! Rice Lake area here. A convex wafer doesn't work for me because the stoma was put on the flat part of my abs. I keep in really good physical shape and I don't mean to honk my own horn but my abs are yolked. I have had a urostomy for 9 months now and before having to use the Nystop powder I had only a couple leaks. Like I said before I can go about 4 or 5 days before I have to change out the whole thing and only b/c the edges of the wafer start to peel up from normal wear. It's only when I had to use this Nystop powder b/c of yeast that grew under the wafer when the leaking is a prob at all. It happens a lot and and I go thru more then my monthly supplies and my insurance reads me the riot act when I have to ask for extra. Also I think I am stuck with hollister stuff but I need to call my insurance to find out for sure. Thank you for the advice and its really cool to meet another cheddar head here.

Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:02 pm
NancyAnn wrote:

Hi, I have had my urostomy for over 58 years. If the it works with out the powder I wouldn't use it. I have never heard of that powder. 


It's a antifungal powder that my doc prescribed because i have yeast under my wafer. i have to use it or the yeast will get worse.

Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:05 pm
DairyCub wrote:
NancyAnn wrote:

Hi, I have had my urostomy for over 58 years. If the it works with out the powder I wouldn't use it. I have never heard of that powder. 


It's a antifungal powder that my doc prescribed because i have yeast under my wafer. i have to use it or the yeast will get worse.


Ok didn't know that is what it was for. Be sure to really make sure it is clean around the stoma when you shower and just put a thin layer around it. Let it sit for a bit before putting flange on if you can. 

Good luck. Hope it all works out for you. Here if you have any other questions.

Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:09 pm
kstyle wrote:
DairyCub wrote:
kstyle wrote:

Hi Zach- I'm not sure what products you are using but you may need a convex wafer or convex ring.  I also picture frame my urostomy with small rectangles of hollihesive squares #7700 by Hollister.  They look like a piece of square cheese and then I cut them into 1" rectangles. One on all 4 sides paper side down.  The wafer then sticks to the hollihesive and not your skin for added security.  My pouch lasts longer that way. No powder necessary. You can always call Hollister for samples.  I know COLOPLAST has a similar product- not sure about CONVATEC.  Hope this helps!

 

K


Hi. Thank you for replying. Here's the stuff I use. I have a flat skin barrier from Hollister. I forget the number. I use the 3M skin barrier spray and i also use the hollister barrier wipes. And I use just a regular hollister pouch that fits the flange ring on the skin barrier. I have really flat abs and the doctor had to go thru the my ab muscle because its super flat. The stoma sticks out about 1 1/2 inches or so. Like I said if I don't have to use the powder i have like no problems at all and everything lasts for a long time. I have to use this powder becuse of a yeast infection that happened. I went to the hollister web site and I requested a sample if the adhesive square and i will try your suggestion when it gets here. Thank you very much! - Zach


... anytime

Just another added thought- I know you have a yeast infection around your stoma and that will happen from time to time- you can also ask for oral meds to clear up the systemic yeast.  Topicals are good, however when it comes to needing to use an adhesive on the infected area oral meds may be the way to go.  Check with your MD and see if this is something that is possible for you and also maybe add a yeast preventing probiotic to your daily vitiamin intake (if you have one) that has also helped with systemic yeast infections.  I'm sure working on a farm in the hot months it could quite possibly be an ongoing issue unless you get out in front of it and be proactive......

K

Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:23 pm
kstyle wrote:
kstyle wrote:
DairyCub wrote:
kstyle wrote:

Hi Zach- I'm not sure what products you are using but you may need a convex wafer or convex ring.  I also picture frame my urostomy with small rectangles of hollihesive squares #7700 by Hollister.  They look like a piece of square cheese and then I cut them into 1" rectangles. One on all 4 sides paper side down.  The wafer then sticks to the hollihesive and not your skin for added security.  My pouch lasts longer that way. No powder necessary. You can always call Hollister for samples.  I know COLOPLAST has a similar product- not sure about CONVATEC.  Hope this helps!

 

K


Hi. Thank you for replying. Here's the stuff I use. I have a flat skin barrier from Hollister. I forget the number. I use the 3M skin barrier spray and i also use the hollister barrier wipes. And I use just a regular hollister pouch that fits the flange ring on the skin barrier. I have really flat abs and the doctor had to go thru the my ab muscle because its super flat. The stoma sticks out about 1 1/2 inches or so. Like I said if I don't have to use the powder i have like no problems at all and everything lasts for a long time. I have to use this powder becuse of a yeast infection that happened. I went to the hollister web site and I requested a sample if the adhesive square and i will try your suggestion when it gets here. Thank you very much! - Zach


... anytime

Just another added thought- I know you have a yeast infection around your stoma and that will happen from time to time- you can also ask for oral meds to clear up the systemic yeast.  Topicals are good, however when it comes to needing to use an adhesive on the infected area oral meds may be the way to go.  Check with your MD and see if this is something that is possible for you and also maybe add a yeast preventing probiotic to your daily vitiamin intake (if you have one) that has also helped with systemic yeast infections.  I'm sure working on a farm in the hot months it could quite possibly be an ongoing issue unless you get out in front of it and be proactive......

K

Yeah being out in the fields can be a pain but I kind of have it worse. I take care of all our vehicles (tractors, combines, sprayers, semis, the farm's trucks... You name it) and it's a sweat box in my shop even with 3 ginormous industrial celing fans screaming at full speed. My doc is pretty sure that I got the yeast from the gym which is my 2nd home  but I will email him and see if he can switch me to a pill and not this pain in the rump powder. I hate the powder its been nothing but problems.

Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:18 pm

Hi, Zach~

 

Whenever I have an issue with my appliance (leaks, lack of adhesion...anything!), I contact either another ostomate or the WOCNs at my wound care clinic.  You say your nurse isn't much help: is this nurse a WOCN?  Either way, contact a(nother?) WOCN.  In my experience, not all medical personnel know everything, and some are wise enough to consult with each other to learn more about ostomy situations beyond their knowledge.

Due to skin ulcerations that presented under my appliance soon after my ileostomy, for a long time, I needed to use stoma powder with barrier wipes to help protect & heal my skin.  It helped, but I found that I had issues with major leaks, too!  Yes, aggravating beyond words, and I didn't know what the cause was.   For me, those leaks almost became non-existent after I stopped using the stoma powder.  BUT...I only found this out in a very candid conversation with one of the WOCNs at my wound care clinic.

Another thought:  Try using a warmed up heating pad over your abdomen after you apply a new appliance.  It can help with sealing the appliance to your abdomen.  Lie under it for about 20 mins. if you can, but not on a setting so hot that it's uncomfortable.  Reach under the heating pad a few times and, using your fingertips, gently press/rub over the entire flange that has adhesive on it - including immediately surrounding your stoma - that can help, too, if you are using stoma paste or a barrier ring, to really seal either of them to your skin.  Then, give yourself some time before becoming really active so you don't break that seal.  I know that some of us don't have a lot of time to change our appliance, but if you can manage it, you may find it helpful. 

Glad you reached out, here - none of us should have to reinvent the wheel!  :)

 

Lily  

Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:33 pm
Lily17 wrote:

Hi, Zach~

 

Whenever I have an issue with my appliance (leaks, lack of adhesion...anything!), I contact either another ostomate or the WOCNs at my wound care clinic.  You say your nurse isn't much help: is this nurse a WOCN?  Either way, contact a(nother?) WOCN.  In my experience, not all medical personnel know everything, and some are wise enough to consult with each other to learn more about ostomy situations beyond their knowledge.

Due to skin ulcerations that presented under my appliance soon after my ileostomy, for a long time, I needed to use stoma powder with barrier wipes to help protect & heal my skin.  It helped, but I found that I had issues with major leaks, too!  Yes, aggravating beyond words, and I didn't know what the cause was.   For me, those leaks almost became non-existent after I stopped using the stoma powder.  BUT...I only found this out in a very candid conversation with one of the WOCNs at my wound care clinic.

Another thought:  Try using a warmed up heating pad over your abdomen after you apply a new appliance.  It can help with sealing the appliance to your abdomen.  Lie under it for about 20 mins. if you can, but not on a setting so hot that it's uncomfortable.  Reach under the heating pad a few times and, using your fingertips, gently press/rub over the entire flange that has adhesive on it - including immediately surrounding your stoma - that can help, too, if you are using stoma paste or a barrier ring, to really seal either of them to your skin.  Then, give yourself some time before becoming really active so you don't break that seal.  I know that some of us don't have a lot of time to change our appliance, but if you can manage it, you may find it helpful. 

Glad you reached out, here - none of us should have to reinvent the wheel!  :)

 

Lily  

The nurse that I talked to was an ostomy nurse practitioner. She was simply at a loss because she knew that the stoma is at a flat part of my abs and that it sticks out pretty nicely. She also said that he has never had a problem with the antifungal powder before. So I really don't know if she just threw here hands up or if she's looking to others for advice. I also can't reach out to another ostomy nurse because she's pretty much the only one around where I live. I live in a very rural part of Wisconsin so it's understandable. I mean I have to drive 2 hours if I have to see her. Yeah. Rural. :)

Thanks for your advice. I already do the heating pad trick to make a good seal and I swear by it. I also tryed a barrier ring but pee blew right thru that in under an hour. For now, I stopped using the powder because I don't run low on supplies. My insurance only gives me so much each month. - Zach

Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:04 pm
DairyCub wrote:
Lily17 wrote:

Hi, Zach~

 

Whenever I have an issue with my appliance (leaks, lack of adhesion...anything!), I contact either another ostomate or the WOCNs at my wound care clinic.  You say your nurse isn't much help: is this nurse a WOCN?  Either way, contact a(nother?) WOCN.  In my experience, not all medical personnel know everything, and some are wise enough to consult with each other to learn more about ostomy situations beyond their knowledge.

Due to skin ulcerations that presented under my appliance soon after my ileostomy, for a long time, I needed to use stoma powder with barrier wipes to help protect & heal my skin.  It helped, but I found that I had issues with major leaks, too!  Yes, aggravating beyond words, and I didn't know what the cause was.   For me, those leaks almost became non-existent after I stopped using the stoma powder.  BUT...I only found this out in a very candid conversation with one of the WOCNs at my wound care clinic.

Another thought:  Try using a warmed up heating pad over your abdomen after you apply a new appliance.  It can help with sealing the appliance to your abdomen.  Lie under it for about 20 mins. if you can, but not on a setting so hot that it's uncomfortable.  Reach under the heating pad a few times and, using your fingertips, gently press/rub over the entire flange that has adhesive on it - including immediately surrounding your stoma - that can help, too, if you are using stoma paste or a barrier ring, to really seal either of them to your skin.  Then, give yourself some time before becoming really active so you don't break that seal.  I know that some of us don't have a lot of time to change our appliance, but if you can manage it, you may find it helpful. 

Glad you reached out, here - none of us should have to reinvent the wheel!  :)

 

Lily  

The nurse that I talked to was an ostomy nurse practitioner. She was simply at a loss because she knew that the stoma is at a flat part of my abs and that it sticks out pretty nicely. She also said that he has never had a problem with the antifungal powder before. So I really don't know if she just threw here hands up or if she's looking to others for advice. I also can't reach out to another ostomy nurse because she's pretty much the only one around where I live. I live in a very rural part of Wisconsin so it's understandable. I mean I have to drive 2 hours if I have to see her. Yeah. Rural. :)

Thanks for your advice. I already do the heating pad trick to make a good seal and I swear by it. I also tryed a barrier ring but pee blew right thru that in under an hour. For now, I stopped using the powder because I don't run low on supplies. My insurance only gives me so much each month. - Zach

Another option?  ...and check with your doctor/dermatologist before doing this in case of contraindications:  While switching appliances, after your skin has been cleaned, place clean cotton, woven gauze/sponges on the yeast-infected skin that are soaked with 50-50 mixture of distilled water & 5% white vinegar.  Leave on for about 10 minutes, and do not rinse off, but let dry on skin, before continuing with medication & appliance changeout. 

I'm using this to help keep my ulcerated skin healthier, and to kill off harmful bacteria, in combination with prescription silver sulfadiazine cream.  This is my dermatologist's protocol for my ideopathic ulcerations, and it has worked wonders when nothing else would.  : )  Another story for another forum topic.  ; )

The below item discusses not just vinegar & bacteria, but also yeast:

https://www.news-medical.net/health/Does-Vinegar-Kill-Bacteria.aspx

 

Take care, Zach!

 

Lily

Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:38 pm
Lily17 wrote:
DairyCub wrote:
Lily17 wrote:

Hi, Zach~

 

Whenever I have an issue with my appliance (leaks, lack of adhesion...anything!), I contact either another ostomate or the WOCNs at my wound care clinic.  You say your nurse isn't much help: is this nurse a WOCN?  Either way, contact a(nother?) WOCN.  In my experience, not all medical personnel know everything, and some are wise enough to consult with each other to learn more about ostomy situations beyond their knowledge.

Due to skin ulcerations that presented under my appliance soon after my ileostomy, for a long time, I needed to use stoma powder with barrier wipes to help protect & heal my skin.  It helped, but I found that I had issues with major leaks, too!  Yes, aggravating beyond words, and I didn't know what the cause was.   For me, those leaks almost became non-existent after I stopped using the stoma powder.  BUT...I only found this out in a very candid conversation with one of the WOCNs at my wound care clinic.

Another thought:  Try using a warmed up heating pad over your abdomen after you apply a new appliance.  It can help with sealing the appliance to your abdomen.  Lie under it for about 20 mins. if you can, but not on a setting so hot that it's uncomfortable.  Reach under the heating pad a few times and, using your fingertips, gently press/rub over the entire flange that has adhesive on it - including immediately surrounding your stoma - that can help, too, if you are using stoma paste or a barrier ring, to really seal either of them to your skin.  Then, give yourself some time before becoming really active so you don't break that seal.  I know that some of us don't have a lot of time to change our appliance, but if you can manage it, you may find it helpful. 

Glad you reached out, here - none of us should have to reinvent the wheel!  :)

 

Lily  

The nurse that I talked to was an ostomy nurse practitioner. She was simply at a loss because she knew that the stoma is at a flat part of my abs and that it sticks out pretty nicely. She also said that he has never had a problem with the antifungal powder before. So I really don't know if she just threw here hands up or if she's looking to others for advice. I also can't reach out to another ostomy nurse because she's pretty much the only one around where I live. I live in a very rural part of Wisconsin so it's understandable. I mean I have to drive 2 hours if I have to see her. Yeah. Rural. :)

Thanks for your advice. I already do the heating pad trick to make a good seal and I swear by it. I also tryed a barrier ring but pee blew right thru that in under an hour. For now, I stopped using the powder because I don't run low on supplies. My insurance only gives me so much each month. - Zach

Another option?  ...and check with your doctor/dermatologist before doing this in case of contraindications:  While switching appliances, after your skin has been cleaned, place clean cotton, woven gauze/sponges on the yeast-infected skin that are soaked with 50-50 mixture of distilled water & 5% white vinegar.  Leave on for about 10 minutes, and do not rinse off, but let dry on skin, before continuing with medication & appliance changeout. 

I'm using this to help keep my ulcerated skin healthier, and to kill off harmful bacteria, in combination with prescription silver sulfadiazine cream.  This is my dermatologist's protocol for my ideopathic ulcerations, and it has worked wonders when nothing else would.  : )  Another story for another forum topic.  ; )

The below item discusses not just vinegar & bacteria, but also yeast:

https://www.news-medical.net/health/Does-Vinegar-Kill-Bacteria.aspx

 

Take care, Zach!

 

Lily

I will try the vinegar mix too. Not a big fan of the smell but it's better than smelling cow pies all day. - Zach

Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:57 pm
DairyCub wrote:
Lily17 wrote:
DairyCub wrote:
Lily17 wrote:

Hi, Zach~

 

Whenever I have an issue with my appliance (leaks, lack of adhesion...anything!), I contact either another ostomate or the WOCNs at my wound care clinic.  You say your nurse isn't much help: is this nurse a WOCN?  Either way, contact a(nother?) WOCN.  In my experience, not all medical personnel know everything, and some are wise enough to consult with each other to learn more about ostomy situations beyond their knowledge.

Due to skin ulcerations that presented under my appliance soon after my ileostomy, for a long time, I needed to use stoma powder with barrier wipes to help protect & heal my skin.  It helped, but I found that I had issues with major leaks, too!  Yes, aggravating beyond words, and I didn't know what the cause was.   For me, those leaks almost became non-existent after I stopped using the stoma powder.  BUT...I only found this out in a very candid conversation with one of the WOCNs at my wound care clinic.

Another thought:  Try using a warmed up heating pad over your abdomen after you apply a new appliance.  It can help with sealing the appliance to your abdomen.  Lie under it for about 20 mins. if you can, but not on a setting so hot that it's uncomfortable.  Reach under the heating pad a few times and, using your fingertips, gently press/rub over the entire flange that has adhesive on it - including immediately surrounding your stoma - that can help, too, if you are using stoma paste or a barrier ring, to really seal either of them to your skin.  Then, give yourself some time before becoming really active so you don't break that seal.  I know that some of us don't have a lot of time to change our appliance, but if you can manage it, you may find it helpful. 

Glad you reached out, here - none of us should have to reinvent the wheel!  :)

 

Lily  

The nurse that I talked to was an ostomy nurse practitioner. She was simply at a loss because she knew that the stoma is at a flat part of my abs and that it sticks out pretty nicely. She also said that he has never had a problem with the antifungal powder before. So I really don't know if she just threw here hands up or if she's looking to others for advice. I also can't reach out to another ostomy nurse because she's pretty much the only one around where I live. I live in a very rural part of Wisconsin so it's understandable. I mean I have to drive 2 hours if I have to see her. Yeah. Rural. :)

Thanks for your advice. I already do the heating pad trick to make a good seal and I swear by it. I also tryed a barrier ring but pee blew right thru that in under an hour. For now, I stopped using the powder because I don't run low on supplies. My insurance only gives me so much each month. - Zach

Another option?  ...and check with your doctor/dermatologist before doing this in case of contraindications:  While switching appliances, after your skin has been cleaned, place clean cotton, woven gauze/sponges on the yeast-infected skin that are soaked with 50-50 mixture of distilled water & 5% white vinegar.  Leave on for about 10 minutes, and do not rinse off, but let dry on skin, before continuing with medication & appliance changeout. 

I'm using this to help keep my ulcerated skin healthier, and to kill off harmful bacteria, in combination with prescription silver sulfadiazine cream.  This is my dermatologist's protocol for my ideopathic ulcerations, and it has worked wonders when nothing else would.  : )  Another story for another forum topic.  ; )

The below item discusses not just vinegar & bacteria, but also yeast:

https://www.news-medical.net/health/Does-Vinegar-Kill-Bacteria.aspx

 

Take care, Zach!

 

Lily

I will try the vinegar mix too. Not a big fan of the smell but it's better than smelling cow pies all day. - Zach


Hmmm...  Smell like a salad?  Or smell like a cowpie?  What a choice!  LOL  - Lily17

Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:16 pm
Lily17 wrote:

Hmmm...  Smell like a salad?  Or smell like a cowpie?  What a choice!  LOL  - Lily17


I tried the vinegar thing and it didn't work so much... BUT... The ostomy/wound nurse had me come in and she took a really good look at things. First the yeast thing cleared up real nice so the little bit that I used the powder worked. Also she noticed something wonky with the placement of the sticky out thing (the bright red part that the pee comes out of) and she noticed that it's gotten more oval shaped because I've been back in the gym and because my abs were kinda fluffy I got it back down to its normal shape. Anyway, she sized it and now I have to cut an oval shape. That fixed it. No leaks and I've had the same wafer/barrier on for a few days now. I will probably have to change it today but I'm happy now.

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it.

- Zach

Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:43 pm
DairyCub wrote:
Lily17 wrote:

Hmmm...  Smell like a salad?  Or smell like a cowpie?  What a choice!  LOL  - Lily17


I tried the vinegar thing and it didn't work so much... BUT... The ostomy/wound nurse had me come in and she took a really good look at things. First the yeast thing cleared up real nice so the little bit that I used the powder worked. Also she noticed something wonky with the placement of the sticky out thing (the bright red part that the pee comes out of) and she noticed that it's gotten more oval shaped because I've been back in the gym and because my abs were kinda fluffy I got it back down to its normal shape. Anyway, she sized it and now I have to cut an oval shape. That fixed it. No leaks and I've had the same wafer/barrier on for a few days now. I will probably have to change it today but I'm happy now.

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it.

- Zach


Hi, Zach!

 

The vinegar/distilled water could take more time to yeast than bacteria, but...  GREAT NEWS!!  So excited that you had that conversation, evaluation with the WOCN, now have an answer and can move forward without having to change out your appliance multiple times each day!  That's so awesome!  Happy for you! 

And, welcome to the world of ostomates with an OVAL stoma!!  Glad to have you on board, Zach!  LOL

 

Lily17

 

Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:44 pm

After 16 months I topped using any powder or any skin wipes. Bags last 3 to 5 nights without. Ostomy nurses don't have ostomies. Ask any of us who

wear ostomy bags. Trial and error leads to best success. Feel free to ask me.

Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:47 pm

I had an ostomy nurse recommend applying kenalog spray on top of the powder. I've used this process for over ten years and have no issues with the barrier leaking. I do need a prescription to get this spray from the pharmacy. I hope this helps.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.
All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Currently online: 9    
9 visitors