Tips for Using Nystop Powder on Urostomy?

Replies
Views
DairyCub

Hello.

I'm brand new here and I was wondering if I could get some tips on using Nystop powder around my stoma. I'm super new to this and the nurse wasn't much help. So okay... I have to use the Nystop powder and even though I use the skin prep (it's by 3M) my barrier won't stay stuck and I keep getting leaks. Like so often that I gotta change it a couple times a day. I tried putting it on in layers like powder then spray on the 3M stuff more powder and more spray. If I don't use the powder at all I get no leaks at all and I can wear a barrier for like 5 days. This sucks having to change it so much.

Does anyone have any tips?

Thank you

Zach

Mggy34

I have the Nystop powder... I've used it a few times but I didn't find it very helpful for my particular skin issue. But I don't think my problem was a fungal thing... it's an allergy.

Anyway.... I would sprinkle it on then rub it into my skin and let it sit for a few minutes, brush a paper towel across the area to knock off any excess, and spray the skin protector stuff and let it dry... then stick the barrier on.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,435 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

kstyle

Hi Zach - I'm not sure what products you are using, but you may need a convex wafer or convex ring. I also picture frame my urostomy with small rectangles of Hollister's Hollihesive squares #7700. They look like a piece of square cheese, and then I cut them into 1" rectangles. One on all 4 sides, paper side down. The wafer then sticks to the Hollihesive and not your skin for added security. My pouch lasts longer that way. No powder necessary. You can always call Hollister for samples. I know Coloplast has a similar product - not sure about Convatec. Hope this helps!

K

DairyCub

Hi. Thank you for replying. Here's the stuff I use. I have a flat skin barrier from Hollister. I forget the number. I use the 3M skin barrier spray and I also use the Hollister barrier wipes. And I use just a regular Hollister pouch that fits the flange ring on the skin barrier. I have really flat abs and the doctor had to go through my ab muscle because it's super flat. The stoma sticks out about 1 1/2 inches or so. Like I said, if I don't have to use the powder, I have like no problems at all and everything lasts for a long time. I have to use this powder because of a yeast infection that happened. I went to the Hollister website and I requested a sample of the adhesive square and I will try your suggestion when it gets here. Thank you very much! - Zach

kstyle

... Anytime

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
DairyCub

I just did what you told me and I hope it works. Leaking like an old garden hose is really bugging me. Thank you! - Zach

Mggy34

Hoping it works!! I get leaks all the time too...and it is so frustrating.  

ron in mich

Hi Zach, why are you using the powder? Is it due to raw skin around the stoma? If not, don't use it, even if the nurse recommends it. Make sure the skin is dry. I use toilet paper around my stoma just before I put on the wafer. Some people even use a hair dryer on a warm setting to make sure the skin is dry. Good luck.

DairyCub

Hi Ron, I have to use the stuff because yeast is on the skin under the entire wafer. It happened kinda suddenly and the doc thinks I probably picked it up at the gym, so he prescribed the nystop powder so I stop making sourdough under the wafer. The stuff helps because it's going away, and I have to use it until it's all gone away. I don't have a hairdryer, but I do make sure that everything is like totally dry. Like I said, it's only because of the powder that things get leaky. When I didn't use it, I could go days without changing the wafer. I'm even in the pool, and it stays on. - Zach

Past Member

You should NEVER need to change an appliance several times a day. If the area around your stomach is puffy or raised up, you should look into a convex wafer. I went through 6 months of leaks and "adding more stuff" to my routine. Going to a convex wafer solved those problems. Now I don't use any paste, powder, or adhesive. Also, I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH... Get samples from all the different companies. They all have small nuisance differences in their product, so try them all. It will take some time, but you'll get there. I know it sounds like BS now, but the day will come when your stoma is an afterthought.

NancyAnn

Hi, I have had my urostomy for over 58 years. If it works without the powder, I wouldn't use it. I have never heard of that powder.

I have found if you try it and it doesn't work, stop. If you try it and it works for you, do it. I don't use a powder. If you want help keeping the flange on, I use Coloplast Brava strips around the edges of the flange.

It is waterproof and it helps to keep your flange on.

You said it yourself, if you don't use the powder, the flange lasts longer.

DairyCub

Hi TimeToGrow. Howdy neighbor! Rice Lake area here. A convex wafer doesn't work for me because the stoma was put on the flat part of my abs. I keep in really good physical shape and I don't mean to honk my own horn but my abs are yoked. I have had a urostomy for 9 months now and before having to use the Nystop powder, I had only a couple leaks. Like I said before, I can go about 4 or 5 days before I have to change out the whole thing and only because the edges of the wafer start to peel up from normal wear. It's only when I had to use this Nystop powder because of yeast that grew under the wafer when the leaking is a problem at all. It happens a lot and I go through more than my monthly supplies and my insurance reads me the riot act when I have to ask for extra. Also, I think I am stuck with Hollister stuff but I need to call my insurance to find out for sure. Thank you for the advice and it's really cool to meet another cheddar head here.

DairyCub

It's an antifungal powder that my doctor prescribed because I have yeast under my wafer. I have to use it or the yeast will get worse.

NancyAnn

Ok, didn't know that is what it was for. Be sure to really make sure it is clean around the stoma when you shower and just put a thin layer around it. Let it sit for a bit before putting the flange on if you can.  

Good luck. Hope it all works out for you. Here if you have any other questions.

kstyle

Just another added thought - I know you have a yeast infection around your stoma and that will happen from time to time - you can also ask for oral meds to clear up the systemic yeast. Topicals are good, however when it comes to needing to use an adhesive on the infected area oral meds may be the way to go. Check with your MD and see if this is something that is possible for you and also maybe add a yeast preventing probiotic to your daily vitamin intake (if you have one) that has also helped with systemic yeast infections. I'm sure working on a farm in the hot months it could quite possibly be an ongoing issue unless you get out in front of it and be proactive......

K

DairyCub

Yeah, being out in the fields can be a pain, but I kind of have it worse. I take care of all our vehicles (tractors, combines, sprayers, semis, the farm's trucks... You name it) and it's a sweatbox in my shop even with 3 ginormous industrial ceiling fans screaming at full speed. My doc is pretty sure that I got the yeast from the gym, which is my 2nd home. I will email him and see if he can switch me to a pill and not this pain in the rump powder. I hate the powder; it's been nothing but problems.

Lily17

Hi, Zach

Whenever I have an issue with my appliance (leaks, lack of adhesion...anything!), I contact either another ostomate or the WOCNs at my wound care clinic. You say your nurse isn't much help: is this nurse a WOCN? Either way, contact another WOCN. In my experience, not all medical personnel know everything, and some are wise enough to consult with each other to learn more about ostomy situations beyond their knowledge.

Due to skin ulcerations that presented under my appliance soon after my ileostomy, for a long time, I needed to use stoma powder with barrier wipes to help protect and heal my skin. It helped, but I found that I had issues with major leaks, too! Yes, aggravating beyond words, and I didn't know what the cause was. For me, those leaks almost became non-existent after I stopped using the stoma powder. BUT...I only found this out in a very candid conversation with one of the WOCNs at my wound care clinic.

Another thought: Try using a warmed up heating pad over your abdomen after you apply a new appliance. It can help with sealing the appliance to your abdomen. Lie under it for about 20 mins. if you can, but not on a setting so hot that it's uncomfortable. Reach under the heating pad a few times and, using your fingertips, gently press/rub over the entire flange that has adhesive on it - including immediately surrounding your stoma - that can help, too, if you are using stoma paste or a barrier ring, to really seal either of them to your skin. Then, give yourself some time before becoming really active so you don't break that seal. I know that some of us don't have a lot of time to change our appliance, but if you can manage it, you may find it helpful.

Glad you reached out here - none of us should have to reinvent the wheel! :)

Lily

DairyCub

The nurse that I talked to was an ostomy nurse practitioner. She was simply at a loss because she knew that the stoma is at a flat part of my abs and that it sticks out pretty nicely. She also said that he has never had a problem with the antifungal powder before. So I really don't know if she just threw her hands up or if she's looking to others for advice. I also can't reach out to another ostomy nurse because she's pretty much the only one around where I live. I live in a very rural part of Wisconsin so it's understandable. I mean I have to drive 2 hours if I have to see her. Yeah. Rural. :)

Thanks for your advice. I already do the heating pad trick to make a good seal and I swear by it. I also tried a barrier ring but pee blew right through that in under an hour. For now, I stopped using the powder because I don't run low on supplies. My insurance only gives me so much each month. - Zach

Lily17

Another option? ...and check with your doctor/dermatologist before doing this in case of contraindications: While switching appliances, after your skin has been cleaned, place clean cotton, woven gauze/sponges on the yeast-infected skin that are soaked with a 50-50 mixture of distilled water & 5 white vinegar. Leave on for about 10 minutes, and do not rinse off, but let dry on the skin before continuing with medication & appliance changeout. 

I'm using this to help keep my ulcerated skin healthier and to kill off harmful bacteria, in combination with prescription silver sulfadiazine cream. This is my dermatologist's protocol for my idiopathic ulcerations, and it has worked wonders when nothing else would. :) Another story for another forum topic. )

The below item discusses not just vinegar & bacteria, but also yeast:

https://www.news-medical.net/health/Does-Vinegar-Kill-Bacteria.aspx

Take care, Zach!

Lily

DairyCub

I will try the vinegar mix too. Not a big fan of the smell but it's better than smelling cow pies all day. - Zach

Lily17

Hmmm... Smell like a salad? Or smell like a cowpie? What a choice! LOL - Lily17

DairyCub

I tried the vinegar thing and it didn't work so much... BUT... The ostomy/wound nurse had me come in and she took a really good look at things. First, the yeast thing cleared up real nice so the little bit that I used the powder worked. Also, she noticed something wonky with the placement of the sticky out thing (the bright red part that the pee comes out of) and she noticed that it's gotten more oval-shaped because I've been back in the gym and because my abs were kinda fluffy I got it back down to its normal shape. Anyway, she sized it and now I have to cut an oval shape. That fixed it. No leaks and I've had the same wafer/barrier on for a few days now. I will probably have to change it today but I'm happy now.

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it.

- Zach

Lily17

Hi, Zach!

The vinegar/distilled water could take more time to yeast than bacteria, but... GREAT NEWS!! So excited that you had that conversation, evaluation with the WOCN, now have an answer and can move forward without having to change out your appliance multiple times each day! That's so awesome! Happy for you!

And, welcome to the world of ostomates with an OVAL stoma!! Glad to have you on board, Zach! LOL

Lily17

*Jackkau

After 16 months, I stopped using any powder or any skin wipes. Bags last 3 to 5 nights without. Ostomy nurses don't have ostomies. Ask any of us who

wear ostomy bags. Trial and error leads to the best success. Feel free to ask me.

waldo

I had an ostomy nurse recommend applying Kenalog spray on top of the powder. I've used this process for over ten years and have no issues with the barrier leaking. I do need a prescription to get this spray from the pharmacy. I hope this helps.