Colostomy skin detachment: Seeking advice

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Past Member

Hi, I've had a colostomy since I was 4 and I'm 20 now. I have had lots of problems, but at the moment it's really annoying. I've developed a hole as if the skin attached to the stomach is coming away and there is the inside wall I can see. It hurts quite a bit when cleaning, but the nurses say it is fine, but it's just getting bigger. Has anyone got this or experienced skin pulling from the stoma? Thank you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Victorialouise. 

Thanks for your post.

I have experienced something similar to that which you describe and it healed up to some extent after a period of six months or so. However, although it is no longer bleeding or painful, it has left an unusual small extrusion of stoma, which seems to have a 'withered' and dead looking appearance (a bit like a blister). I also had a small ( yet deepish) hole appear in the skin surrounding the stoma, which annoyingly kept bleeding every time I changed the appliance. eventually I put some Germolene 'new-skin' on it for a few days and it managed to heal up. I have no idea whether such a thing would help you but sometimes, if you share these sorts of 'remedies' with your stoma nurse, they will take the problems a bit more seriously and suggest a more medically acceptable solution. 

Sometimes I think that the medical profession are simply not interested in the 'little things', until they get so big that they need surgical attention, by which time the surgeons often say that we should have come to them sooner.  Go figure that one! 

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
lovely

Sorry you are having these problems. I have not had that happen. Bill had some advice and maybe some others will post. Just don't let it get too far out of hand before seeing a doctor. Best wishes and stay safe.

MBT

Victoria Louise, is the skin immediately around the wound a purple color? Does the wound get worse with pouch changes?

Past Member

The skin isn't purple, but you can see a line around the part of the skin that has come away. When I come out of the shower and it gets dry, it gets worse to look at and you can see the inside. But when you have a shower and it's wet, it sort of goes a little better than it does when it's dry.  
Obviously, taking the bag off the skin does pull more at it, but the poo goes into the hole making it worse and more sore.  
Thank you.  

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

Thank you 

Past Member

Thank you very much. 

MBT

As Bill said, it might be best to follow up with your surgeon, GI, or stoma nurse. Or consider a second opinion with a different stoma nurse!

Past Member
Reply to MBT

I'm getting a second opinion soon as the doctor was useless. He wouldn't even look at me and wouldn't even take the bag off to look at the issue. It's been nearly 2 years since I last saw him and he told me he would be in touch in 6 months.