Urostomy pouch stuck together when attached to bedside drainage

Replies
Views
trishthedish
Nurse

Hello! I am asking for a neighbor: "My urostomy bag loses air/as if air is suctioned out at night when I'm attached to bedside drainage." Has anyone else ever had this problem or can think of a solution? He has a parastomal hernia with an ulcer right above the stoma, and the os is on the side of his flush stoma (yup, poor guy!!) if that matters. But the issue here is the suction-like effect at night. I don't think the other stuff has anything to do with this problem, but maybe it does. Is there some kind of lubricant to put in the bag? I know some colostomies use bag lube. Thanks :))

MBT

Is he using a bottle system or bedside bag?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,321 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Uro2011

I have a urostomy and use a drainage container attached to my bed frame. I always make sure I have some urine in my pouch prior to going to bed and hooking up the drainage container so that it creates a vacuum/suction effect. My pouch will also be flat/sandwiched together because of the suction effect, but I have never had an issue as the urine always finds its way into the drainage container regardless if it appears no air is in the pouch. Hope this helps.

roseyNme

Yes, mine does that too, but it has never been an issue. The urine always makes it to the bag.

Paul