Urostomy Leakage

In this discussion
Replies
Views
RoxyS

Hi, I am hoping for suggestions from the experts. My name is Roxanne, I am the wife of Doug, who has a urostomy (he is also paraplegic and confined to a chair).

Recently we have been having a lot of leakage. Every day I am having to change the appliance. His urostomy does not have anything protruding, and is flush with his skin, and also is very low on his abdomen (to the right of and slightly lower than his belly button). He has recently gained some weight, changing the shape of the ostomy, and it seems that when sitting the stoma is almost laying on his leg. I think this is causing the blockage of flow and causing it to leak out the sides of the flange. Any suggestions on how I might change this? I have gone to a larger cut out, but it is still leaking.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

MBT

Have you tried any soft convex pouches? They are designed to make the stoma "spout" and hopefully prevent leaks. You could ask your preferred manufacturer for samples.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
oldstone

I am not an expert but I can tell you what works for me. Maybe there will be some part that may help. I have always used Hollister, so I clean the area around the stoma and the area that the appliance will be with the wipes. After I put the flange and wafer on, I use a hair dryer to warm the wafer. Then I put my hand over the appliance and press down and hold my hand there for about five minutes to get a good seal. Also, when I'm just sitting in a chair, I put a hose on the pouch and down to a plastic bottle. That way, it just keeps draining and I don't need to keep checking how full the pouch is getting. I change mine out every seven days. I could keep it on longer, but this way I never have a leak. Hope this can help you.

Bill