Surprising Forbidden Fruits: Mangoes, Pineapple, and Avocados

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Didnotneedanotherchalleng

My sister found mangoes and pineapple on the avoid list.

Avocados have too much fiber....

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi,

Thankfully, I don't seem to have many things I can't eat, but I know with some folks there are foods that are problematic. Someone will give you some answers. Take care,..mtnman.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Ritz

As an ileostomate with a short gut, I cannot eat pineapple nor avocado...but I do eat mango. I've tried pineapple juice, but it burns my gut. I was under the assumption I could never eat lettuce again, but slowly in tiny pieces I'm now able to eat an entire salad. You can always try tiny bits within several days apart and wait to see if you dare. Go slowly and I never begin a new food unless it's a Monday as my doctor can only suck out a blockage from Monday-Friday and luckily I've never had to go that route. Good luck, Ritz.

dadnabbit

DNNAC--

So, your diet will actually depend on exactly what you have had done. Where the scar tissue is, where possible adhesions are, how much and what was removed, are all factors that will affect your diet. I am one of the lucky ones who can eat no differently than before my ileostomy. There are two real tricks. FIRST -- CHEW, CHEW, CHEW -- make sure you have whatever it is you are eating completely broken down. SECOND -- DRINK, DRINK, DRINK. WATER is your FRIEND. It will save your life and make that life more comfortable. Keep up your electrolytes by whatever means you choose, store bought or homemade, but keep them up. Carbonation and straws cause gas. As you progress you will discover the items that cause you the most trouble but, in general, things like pineapple and oranges are very fibrous and difficult to breakdown. Nuts and seeds only cause problems if you don't chew well. Salads travel very quickly and starches more slowly. Try the things you like slowly and deliberately to be aware of how your body reacts. You'll figure it out, it's kinda necessary LOL, and we ARE survivors !!!

PEACE

Dadnabbit

Past Member

Forget about those foods to avoid lists. They do more harm than good, giving people a fear of foods because someone else had a problem with it, not you.

Just try everything you like in small amounts at first to see how it goes through!

I can't eat pineapple myself. Last time I did, I ended up in hospital for 1 week... I did push it and eat too much, not taking my own advice to try just a small amount. But that's not to say you and other ostomists can't eat it without any problems, as I know many can eat it.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
TerryLT

Hi, your bio doesn't say whether you have a colostomy or an ileostomy and how long ago your surgery was. I had a colostomy for about a year and could eat anything. I got an ileostomy just over two months ago and although I was warned about not eating lots of things, so far I have found I can eat anything. I was very careful for the first six weeks at least to let the healing do its thing and the swelling to go down but I've been experimenting with lots of things in the last couple of weeks. I ate avocados right from the start with no problem. I've been eating tomatoes, onions, olives, mushrooms, blueberries, and strawberries, all things I was told were risky. I haven't tried pineapple yet or mangoes. I also have to plead guilty to not always remembering to chew like crazy, but then I always have been a slow eater and probably chew enough naturally anyway.

I was told that a lot depends on what the reason was for your surgery. Mine was chronic constipation resulting in a bowel perforation. I have no scar tissue or lesions, which seems to be what gives many ostomates trouble passing food. This is more likely if you had ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease.

Bottom line, don't consider anything forbidden. Try a small amount and see if it's OK, and only try one "risky" food at a time so that if you do have problems, you will know what caused it.

Good luck!

Terry

Puppyluv56

Hey,

I have a colostomy and can eat anything. I have found that things high in sugars, even more so than high in fiber, cause diarrhea for me. Everyone is so different. I have never had a blockage. I live by the rule of moderation. I used to eat a whole pineapple in a day and now I know I have to stop at a few pieces. Same with watermelon. Try everything you like in small amounts and, of course, chew!
Puppyluv