Concerns about reddish brown stoma output after drinking beetroot juice

Replies
Views
VIGDIS

Yesterday, I drank some beetroot juice - slowly over the course of an hour or so.

Since then, my output has been very liquid and very heavy - and the color is a reddish brown.

How long should I wait to see if the color is related to the beetroot juice, or if there is another reason - like bleeding? I am not asking for a medical decision, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem?

Thanks.

UPDATE!

Thank you for all your reassuring replies! I think the color is fading a little, but will wait until tomorrow morning to make sure!

Longroad78

Few things will retain the same color coming and going, but beets will. They use beet juice as a natural food coloring for a healthy alternative in processed foods sometimes.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,440 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HenryM

There are plenty of foods and drink that will color your output.  Don't worry about it.  Over time, you'll be able to accurately predict what will impact both the color as well as the relative thickness of it.

Ritz

When I eat pickle beets or cherry twizzlers, the same thing happens. No need to worry, I believe. You'll be able to predict your poop!!

ron in mich

Hi, I like Ritz. I eat pickled beets and sometimes drink the juice. And I get that same reaction. But if you have pain, maybe consult your physician.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

It's normal for beetroot to do that. I wouldn't worry about it if you have no pain or discomfort. I know it's frightening when you're not expecting it, and even after all the years I've had an ostomy, I give myself a scare at times when I've forgotten what I've eaten to make my output red.

bowsprit

Yes, beetroot juice can do that, color the urine reddish too which is just as alarming. Nothing to worry about, though, it will go away. Don't stop drinking it, very healthy and nourishing.

Puppyluv56

Beets are famous for coming out the same color they went in!
If you just had the beet juice, my bet is that is what you'll see! It should pass in a day or so.
Puppyluv

Lily17

Hi, all

V8 and tomato juice products can present in the output as reddish. Also: Red Velvet Cake! Did a major double-take looking at my pouch, and to keep from freaking out and calling my doctor, had to go back in my memory to figure out if I had consumed something that would turn my output so red! LOL

Lily17

VIGDIS

I had both V8 and beetroot juice!  One after the other!  The Red Velvet cake would have been nice...

Lily17

Yep - that would do it!   LOL!

Seriously, the Red Velvet cake output was shocking and sort of scary!   If you have the opportunity to indulge, just remember this Forum topic before you take that first lovely, lush bite...   : )

Lily17

Deziner

Yes. When I eat something red, my output is reddish especially if it is dyed red; e.g. red licorice.
If blood mixes, you'll notice a different consistency in your output. It "stains" differently. You'll know when you see it.
Sharon