Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships 23,0K + members

Looking for Canadian ostomates who have Extended Insurance Plans with Manulife and are unhappy with recent changes

Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate.org
Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:53 pm

I have had my Extended Health Plan with Manulife since I had a Employee Plan for my business.  When I retired, I carried on with Manulife with a plan called Followme.  Three years after my retirement, I became as ostomate due to a prolonged fight with ulcerative colitis.  At that time, Manulife covered up to $3,000 per anniversary year for my ostomy supplies and a few years ago, they raised that amount to $3,500.  This was a huge benefit to me and I frequently came close to or even exceeded the maximum. Last week, I received a notice that they are changing their benefit package, which they referred to as "changes and enhancements".  In fact, there were numerous reductions of coverage and a very few increases.  The coverage for ostomy supplies was reduced from $3,500 to $1,250!  That's around a 66% reduction!  I wrote to the author of the letter and made 2 phone calls to find out why we were singled out for the largest reduction of all.  Previously, prosthetics supplies were the same as ostomy supplies and they were also reduced, but only by $1,000 to $2,500.  I have spoken at length to a Customer Complaints Investigator and received a letter back which didn't explain the difference, just "political speak" a worthless explanation.  I am now working on going to their Ombuds person through their "Complaints Handling Procedure".

I'm hoping that I can find other ostomates who are affected by this terrible decision by a company whose 2019 Annual Report showed profits in the billions.  If you are one of them, PLEASE respond to me with your support.  Maybe if more people question their actions, we might achieve some degree of success.

Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:21 am

Hello Peter.

Thank you for posting this story and, although it does not affect me financially, it is just the sort of unfairness and unkindness that goads me into rhyme. Of late, I have been looking for stories relating to people's 'kindness', but this concept is inextricably linked to those incidents where people (financial slaves) choose to be unkind to some, in favour of being 'kind' to their financial 'masters'.

I hope you like the rhyme 

Best wishes

Bill

 

AN INSURANCE SCAM?

In recent months, I’ve spent some time
seeking ‘kindness’ for my rhyme,
and what I’ve found within this quest
are certain things that I detest.

And one thing that I think is wrong,
is unkind people who are strong.
You know the people who I mean,
although, quite often, they’re not seen.

These people are so filled with greed,
they only think of their own need,
and in pursuit of selfishness
they know no bounds to ruthlessness.

Yet, in these people, what we find,
are explanations in their mind
to justify the things they do
to weaker people just like you.

I have found, they often try
to create ways to justify
the decisions that they make
so it won’t look like a mistake.

Businesspeople often act
as if profits provide the fact
that they can be unkind to folk
who already bear a heavy yoke

Within this rhyme, I thought I’d mention,
it has come to my attention
that Manulife Insurance Co
chose this unkind way to go.

Despite their massive profits, they
reduced health payments, so they may
pay their shareholders that much more
by taking from the sick and poor.

                                                    Be Withers 2021

 

 

Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:39 am
Bill wrote:

Hello Peter.

Thank you for posting this story and, although it does not affect me financially, it is just the sort of unfairness and unkindness that goads me into rhyme. Of late, I have been looking for stories relating to people's 'kindness', but this concept is inextricably linked to those incidents where people (financial slaves) choose to be unkind to some, in favour of being 'kind' to their financial 'masters'.

I hope you like the rhyme 

Best wishes

Bill

 

AN INSURANCE SCAM?

In recent months, I’ve spent some time
seeking ‘kindness’ for my rhyme,
and what I’ve found within this quest
are certain things that I detest.

And one thing that I think is wrong,
is unkind people who are strong.
You know the people who I mean,
although, quite often, they’re not seen.

These people are so filled with greed,
they only think of their own need,
and in pursuit of selfishness
they know no bounds to ruthlessness.

Yet, in these people, what we find,
are explanations in their mind
to justify the things they do
to weaker people just like you.

I have found, they often try
to create ways to justify
the decisions that they make
so it won’t look like a mistake.

Businesspeople often act
as if profits provide the fact
that they can be unkind to folk
who already bear a heavy yoke

Within this rhyme, I thought I’d mention,
it has come to my attention
that Manulife Insurance Co
chose this unkind way to go.

Despite their massive profits, they
reduced health payments, so they may
pay their shareholders that much more
by taking from the sick and poor.

                                                    Be Withers 2021

Thank you Bill - this is brilliant! I hoope that you won't object to me sending it to Manulife, of course acknowledging your authorship. If you do object, please let me know.



Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:17 pm
peter francis wrote:

Thank you Bill - this is brilliant! I hope that you won't object to me sending it to Manulife, of course acknowledging your authorship. If you do object, please let me know.

 




Hello Peter.
The thing about rhyming verse, as with many other forms of written expression, it can have a beneficial effect on the victims of 'bullying' in its many forms.
It can also have a salutary effect on those who indulge in unkind behaviour. This is particularly relevant if they have a conscience or, in the case of businesses, if they think that they might lose customers as a result of bad publicity.
I have no objection to you sending the rhyme to Manulife Insurance as long as the story you told to us is accurate (factual) and you feel it is fairly represented in the rhyme.
One of the consequences of writing about these sorts of unkindness’s, is when the perpetrators decide to deny the facts in court. So, it is as well to know that what we are portraying is a true representation of what is going on.
Interestingly, I do have a positive history of having organisations change their policies and procedures as a result of receiving these sorts of rhymes from their victims.


Good luck with that one!
Best wishes
Bill

Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:46 pm
Bill wrote:


Hello Peter.
The thing about rhyming verse, as with many other forms of written expression, it can have a beneficial effect on the victims of 'bullying' in its many forms.
It can also have a salutary effect on those who indulge in unkind behaviour. This is particularly relevant if they have a conscience or, in the case of businesses, if they think that they might lose customers as a result of bad publicity.
I have no objection to you sending the rhyme to Manulife Insurance as long as the story you told to us is accurate (factual) and you feel it is fairly represented in the rhyme.
One of the consequences of writing about these sorts of unkindness’s, is when the perpetrators decide to deny the facts in court. So, it is as well to know that what we are portraying is a true representation of what is going on.
Interestingly, I do have a positive history of having organisations change their policies and procedures as a result of receiving these sorts of rhymes from their victims.


Good luck with that one!
Best wishes
Bill


Don't worry about legal action! I won't use the heading The Insurance Scam! And yes, it is absolutely factual - everything that I posted happened and was stated in my original letter to the company. They haven't denied any of it - just refused to explain it!

Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:00 am

Peter wrote:
"Don't worry about legal action! I won't use the heading The Insurance Scam! And yes, it is absolutely factual - everything that I posted happened and was stated in my original letter to the company. They haven't denied any of it - just refused to explain it!"

Hello Peter.
The title of the rhyme is not a problem, as the question mark takes care of any ambiguity in that regard.


I am having a not too dissimilar conversation with my employers at the moment. They are refusing to pay what is called ‘furlough’ (which is actually paid by the government as Covid19 compensation) on the grounds that they don’t want to pay tax and insurance.
I am asking them to put their decisions in writing, so that I can take the matter further. It has now been two months and they have not replied to my request. I would write to the Government about this situation but before doing so, I would like written confirmation of their decision making.
These situations can be frustrating and sometimes take years to resolve. However, I do believe that ‘someone’ needs to expose what I perceive as unfair-corporate-bully practices.
I have little doubt that there are other people less able than myself experiencing the same sort of behaviour.


Best wishes.
Bill

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Currently online: 19    
3 members & 16 visitors