Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships

Anyone dealing with Adhesions that need surgery??

Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:57 pm

Hello all

long story short, I had emergency surgery for ruptured colon about a year ago. I lost a foot of my colon and woke up with a Colostomy for 3 months. I had reversal surgery at the end of June 2020 and have had problems since. The reversal surgery was to take 1.5 hours and it took closer to 4 due to adhesions. I have been hospitalized 5 or 6 tiems since reversal and am currently facing surgery for adhesions.

After my reversal surgery I developed C Diff and struggled with that for 6 months and eventually had Fecal Transfer that cured my C diff. I have had suspected IBS for the last 4 months and have bounced around from GI to hospital ER/admissions and recently got a 2nd opinion and was advised I needed to have my suspected adhesions surgically addressed.

Has anyone had this surgery? Was it Laproscopic or open, outpatient vs inpatient? I have been advised there is a possibility of having an Ostomy again. I am fine with it as I adjusted well with the help of my wife. I have been so desperate that I have considered permanent ostomy if it will make me feel "normal".

Any advice or experiences are appreciated!! Stay safe and be healthy

Clint

These are the top 5 issues ostomates face:

1. Dating and relationships
2. Concealing the pouch
3. Foods to eat and avoid
4. Losing or gaining weight
5. Pouch ballooning

Check out this video from MeetAnOstoMate.
Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:10 pm

Hi Clint, I have not had any problems like you mentioned, but I am sure you will get some feed back. I noticed you posted at two different times. Sometimes with people from all over and diferent time zones may take a little time to get a responce. Hope you get things setteled soon. Best wishes and stay safe.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:41 am
lovely wrote:

Hi Clint, I have not had any problems like you mentioned, but I am sure you will get some feed back. I noticed you posted at two different times. Sometimes with people from all over and diferent time zones may take a little time to get a responce. Hope you get things setteled soon. Best wishes and stay safe.

THanks Lovely, I always appreciated any info!  I realized too late the double post, I could not find the first so I reposted in another section, sorry for the double!  Be safe and stay healthy

clint

Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:19 am

Hi Footie i have crohns and with that is inflamation and scar tissue, i had resection surgery 3yrs. ago after having an ostomy for 30 some years. The surgeon tryed to do laparscopic this time but i had too much adhesions so it was fully open sugery and what should have been a couple hour surgery was almost five but i,m glad it was done as i like you was in and out of the hos. with blockages and on pain meds which i dont like. good luck

Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:46 am

I haven't had such an experience. I just wanted to wish you well.

Mike from Lakewood, Ohio, a suburb of Cleveland.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:11 am

Hi Footie ,  adhesions as you know are scar tissue and every time they open you up you get more. Like trimming a branch , everyplace you cut will have five , 6 new ones.  One time the surgeon had me opened up so decided to cut out all scar tissue possible . It was agony for weeks but seemed to work.  Last year the Surgeon wanted to remove my rectum , etc and sew it up. They opened me up without doing scans . After they got a look in there they closed me up again. The scar tissue had covered every organ like a blanket of " vines"  intertwined  and impossible to work around  .  No more surgery for me !!  A good cleanup of your scar tissue might work if you don't  expect surgery in the future  .

All the best 

Magoo 

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.