What can I do? I don't want to go to the doctor

Cplumber

Drink grape juice.

Lay on your side.

Take a hot bath.

Eat pudding.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,444 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Lily17

If you're able, and you are certain that you have a blockage and not another medical issue:

Take an analgesic to help with pain, which will help relax the abdominal muscles.

Slowly drink a Coca-Cola. The acid in this soda can slowly break down the blockage.

(Keep in mind that, depending on how solid/immovable the blockage is, anything you ingest may not work its way through and you may end up throwing it all back up. Use caution!)

Place a warm heating pad or filled hot water bottle on your abdomen, but not too hot, you don't want to burn your skin or stoma. Place a towel between you and the pad/water bottle.

Walk around a bit as gravity may help with moving the blockage through your system.

Gently massage your abdomen to assist with moving the blockage. (I agree with CPlumber: when lying down, shift from side-to-back-to-side.)

Call 911 or have yourself driven to the emergency room if you get the feeling "in your gut" that you need medical assistance and/or you are throwing up what is in your stomach, even if it is only stomach acid, bile, etc.

Lily17

Cplumber

I have been doing the blocking thing for 25 years. And you taught me something new. Thanks. 

Lily17

Good morning, Cplumber!

I'm happy to help - but can't take all the credit: an ostomy gal pal of mine (and a long-time member of the Reno Ostomy Association), Sue, imparted her wisdom to me prior to my surgeries. She had her ileostomy surgery in 2008, the same year I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. She's an amazing person, full of love and support, and is also very active in our community.

I do hope that Cagrl's situation has resolved successfully. Maybe Cagrl will update us on her condition?

Make it an amazing day, C! :)

Lily17

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
HenryM

There is an ostomy guy that has produced a series of videos on all things ostomy related.  There is one titled Dealing with Ostomy Blockages: Ostomy Tips.  It's at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykfSHKUWN8c 

Cagrl

Just 1 day & all of cplumbers' advice worked awesome!!

Lily17

Wonderful news, Cagrl! :)

If you can think back on what you may have eaten - and how - just prior to the blockage, you may be able to prevent it from happening again. There are quite a few posts on this site about diet, how to gain/lose weight, how to prevent/move a GI blockage. Check them out when you have time.

Glad you're feeling better! :)

And THIS is just one reason why we're here, people

Lily17