Got Partial Blockage - Help!!

Replies
Views
yorkylass
Mar 28, 2024 1:38 pm

Anyone ever had one? I irrigate, but the last few days the water is just coming back out with very little poo. Then throughout the day, hard small lumps appear in my bag. I have tried irrigating twice, half an hour apart, but still no returns. I am loathe to seek out medical help at Easter as there is only one doctor on duty in the hospital then. Also, because I read they may put in a nasogastric tube, which I have sworn off for life. I think I might need a colonoscopy to see what's up. Anyone got any thoughts? Thanks.

Downtown
Mar 28, 2024 2:11 pm

I have an ileo, and have been told that when I have a blockage to use Milk of Magnesia. It's happened to me a few times over the last couple of years, and thankfully I've had luck with the Mag. Hope things clear up for you soon.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,841 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

aTraveler
Mar 28, 2024 3:47 pm

If you suspect a stoma blockage, it is important that you speak to your stoma care nurse or your GP urgently for their advice. Some less severe blockages can be treated at home using the following tips on how to unblock a stoma:

• Increase the amount of fluids you are drinking. Choose fresh fruit juices in addition to water and hot tea. Sometimes carbonated drinks may help.

• Gently massage around your stoma to try to encourage the blockage to work its way out.

• Have a hot bath or try using a heat pad, as this may help your abdominal muscles relax so you can pass a bowel movement.

• If your stoma appears more swollen than usual, it may be worth checking if the hole of your pouch needs to be cut slightly larger.

• Try lying down and lifting your knees to your chest, rolling gently from side to side.

• For people with a colostomy, your GP or stoma care nurse may prescribe some laxatives. Use these as prescribed and don't forget to drink plenty of water with these as it will help them work better.

• Keep mobile as this will help your digestion and therefore help with the blockage.

yorkylass
Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

Thanks for the above. Unfortunately, milk of magnesia makes me poorly, so I can't take it. I have taken Dulcolax with a bit of success. I am not going to irrigate tomorrow and see what happens. I noticed I have been getting a bit of sudden breathlessness when walking. No blood in stools, though.

CrappyColon
Mar 28, 2024 6:11 pm
Reply to yorkylass

If it hurts to walk, it's hard to breathe… that's a good time to call your GP or consultant, whoever is managing this aspect of your care.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
AlexT
Mar 28, 2024 6:35 pm

Drink lots of fluids, walk, massage your stomach.

TerryLT
Mar 28, 2024 8:18 pm

All the things a traveler suggested are good. If you are still not getting relief, what works for me every time is a warm (room temp) bottle of Coke, the real Coke, not sugar-free. Drink it right down. I'm talking about the small ones. Good luck!

Terry

veejay
Mar 28, 2024 9:01 pm

It is possible you may have developed a parastomal hernia.

Hernias definitely interfere with the irrigation process.

Stopping the water flow.

Is there a bulge behind your stoma?

V.J.

yorkylass
Mar 29, 2024 3:06 pm

My stoma does seem to be lumpy to me. I know I'll have to see a doctor about this and perhaps he'll know if it's a hernia. Thanks. I will try the Coke tip today!

yorkylass
Apr 20, 2024 11:14 am

Hi all - Veejay, you were spot on. Parastomal hernia it is. The doc won't operate as it'll just create more scar tissue, so irrigation is a problem now. I need to buy a support belt that goes underneath the hernia (so under my stoma site). Anyone got any suggestions? All I can find are big bands that wrap around the belly! I need something to heave it up to have any chance of irrigating! Many thanks x