Sugar: A Hidden Culprit in Liver Health

Replies
Views
TerryLT

Hi folks, I've been off the site for several months and it's been a good break for me. I've checked in from time to time and I'm glad to see all the regulars still posting and also to see new members coming on.

I've made a discovery that I think is worth sharing. It sure took me by surprise. After my ileostomy surgery, six months ago, I continued to have problems with inadequate and slow output, basically the same constipation I had dealt with most of my life. The hospital and ostomy nurses suggested fruit juice, and a concoction of water, sugar and a little salt that I would drink throughout the day. It solved my output problems, but it made me feel really crappy, tired, irritable, trouble sleeping and then I started gaining weight. I talked to my doctor and with his blessing decided to go off the sugar and just resign myself to the same old PEG laxative I had been taking for decades. He sent me for blood tests as he said excess sugar can cause problems. It turns out my liver enzymes were quite elevated. My GGT was twice the "high normal" number and my bilirubin was also elevated. All from sugar! I was shocked. It turns out that sugar in our diets is the main cause of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. I had no idea. I was sent for an ultrasound and thankfully my liver is normal, so I stopped the sugar before any real damage was done. So, bottom line, sugar really is as bad as they say it is, no exaggeration. Now, I just need to work on my sweet tooth. Hopefully I can still get away with a little dark chocolate!

The really amazing part of this is that I am now having regular bowel function without sugar and without any laxative either. When I stopped the sugar, things just kept working and I never did take any laxative. I was gobsmacked. It's been well over a month now. The only other change I have made is a supplement I started taking that is supposed to be a pre, pro and post-biotic. I don't know if that is what has made the difference. It's been suggested that it just took a while for my body to adjust after my surgery. Whatever it is, I am thankful. Now, with my ileostomy, my quality of life has improved 100. I never would have thought that possible 18 months ago after my perforated bowel and emergency colostomy! So, things do get better!

Terry

w30bob

Hi Terry!

Glad to hear things are getting better!!! Yeah, sugar is a bugger! All processed foods are, but especially sugar. They've been doing some extensive gut/bowel research at Georgetown looking at how specific foods affect the bowel.......and it turns out sugar is one of the top, if not THE top culprits that cause bowel irritation, inflammation, etc. It's one of those things we've known or suspected in the back of our minds, but never acted upon. The processed sugar industry is HUGE in terms of lobbying power and donation potential, so don't expect to be reading that sugar is bad on the front page of any news organization anytime soon.......but you obviously know now what they don't want you to know. Glad to hear you're doing better!!!

Regards,

Bob

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,362 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Axl

Hi Del

Glad to hear you have a good story to tell, good for you.

Over here the evils of sugar are quite well documented.

No one in my family touches it.

Enjoy your new circumstances.

Axl

Past Member

I've also learned to steer clear of any food labeled "low-fat" or "diet" because to make up for the lack of taste (without the fat) a shitload of sugar is added.

TerryLT

Yes, we've all heard for years about the evils of sugar, but sometimes we don't take things seriously until they affect us personally. Before my ileostomy, I had reduced my sugar intake dramatically and felt better for it, but I do remember a time when I worried more about fat in my diet than sugar. Now I know that "good" fat is fine, and sugar is the real demon.

Cheers,

Terry

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Ebony&Ivory

Hi delgrl525

After my surgery in 2018, I suddenly had a bad case of GERD. I ended up on Prilosec. I didn't like what I was reading about the side effects, so I wanted to know what caused the GERD. I'd never had that problem before. Turned out that I had some bad bacteria in my gut, and all the sugar I was consuming was feeding the bacteria. I stopped eating sugar and started eating probiotics (yogurt, kombucha, etc.) to replenish my good bacteria, and within days, the GERD was gone. Getting off of the Prilosec was difficult though. If you can figure out what's causing your gastric distress, avoid taking Prilosec and other PPI's. It's hard getting off of them.

E I