Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships

Choosing a bag for Ileostomy

Past Member
Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:35 am
This is a great community. Consider joining.

I had an emergency Ileostomy May 16th. I was connected to a wound vac in my incision. My problem is that my 6 inch incision is only about 1 inch from my stoma. The bags that I have researched all are too wide and will stick to the incision which is not healed and very tender. Does anyone know of a bag that is narrow enough to fit over my stoma without touching my incision?

These are the top 5 issues ostomates face:

1. Dating and relationships
2. Concealing the pouch
3. Foods to eat and avoid
4. Losing or gaining weight
5. Pouch ballooning

Check out this video from MeetAnOstoMate.
Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:26 pm

CAB ... the best source for your answer is your ileostomy nurse or a wound clinic that also does Ostomates. 
Ritz

Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:34 pm

If you have to cut your flanges maybe if you make the cut off set it will fit.

Past Member
Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:11 pm

A nurse specializing in Ileostomy just called and is coming to my house later today  Thanks 

Ritz wrote:

CAB ... the best source for your answer is your ileostomy nurse or a wound clinic that also does Ostomates. 
Ritz

Past Member
Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:14 pm

A nurse is coming later today.  I’ll talk to her about it.

xnine wrote:

If you have to cut your flanges maybe if you make the cut off set it will fit.

Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:42 pm
CAB wrote:

A nurse specializing in Ileostomy just called and is coming to my house later today  Thanks 

Perfect ...they will get you fitted the best 

Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:48 pm

CAB:  I had an analagous problem last year:  an open sore from a hair follicle close to my stoma.  My ostomy nurse gave me a product that was great:  OPTICELL AG, silver antibacterial gelling fiber wound dressing by Medline.  I'd just cut a small piece to place over the wound, then put my skin barrier right on top of it.  The wound healed.  Ask your ostomy nurse about this product.

Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:47 pm

Have you tried trimming one side? May work if barrier device wide enough. Hope you get the help you need 

Eddie

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.