Seeking advice for colostomy bag rashes

Replies
Views
Past Member

After having a colostomy for 6 years, I'm starting to have these serious rashes. Does anyone know what to use for rashes while wearing a bag? Thanks!

xnine

A bit of a guessing game. I expect you are talking about the skin around your stoma and not your butt. Bob has been posting about his problems; you may find help there. I use a skin prep to protect the skin. Make sure everything is dry before applying your appliance. Look into some previous posts; there are recommendations of calamine lotion to egg whites. Good luck.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

I wash the area around my stoma with antibacterial soap and warm water, then dry it. Then sprinkle antifungal powder and gently rub it in. Finally, dab the area lightly with a skin barrier wipe, wait a little for it to dry, and then apply the bag. It works for me. Hope you find something that works for you.

Artsy Lady

My final colostomy was in 2017.

In the early days, I was given an antifungal powder to use until it cleared up if I had a rash. It was called NYSTOP.

Normally, after initial cleaning with damp gauze, I wipe with witch hazel. I have not had an issue for a long time.

Hope this helps.

Past Member

Well, rashes seem to be quite common these days and the hot weather can often be a big trigger. I have a urostomy as you know, but rashes can occur at any time for those that have an ostomy. I don't know if you have this product in the States but I use "Zincofax" extra-strength. Look for something with the same ingredients perhaps it will have a different name....but try that. I found it in the baby section aisle at the drug store. It is actually used on babies when they get rashes..... I am more familiar with urostomy supplies. My basic routine is.....Once everything is clean and dry....I put a little bit of zinc cream on my skin, ostomy powder around the stoma area.....put an Eakin ring around the stoma.....On top of that, I cut a circle in the center of a 4x4 DuoDerm extra thin CGF Dressing by Convatec (This product is used for the protection and management of superficial dermal issues.....and then the pouch......I never have leaks and my skin is in healthy condition.....Give zinc a try Michael....Hope your rash will clear up soon......

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Fritzj

I have had my ileostomy for 64 years and have periodically had a problem with itching. In my case, my skin was reacting to the adhesive on the tape I used to frame the faceplate. I switched to Pink-tape and my problems disappeared. Check with your supplier....it is easily obtained.

Ninja

Rashes in summer are far more common; I just had one after five days in a wetsuit on a river trip. My first in three plus years post-ileostomy.

I am a simpleton with wound care, water only. I leave the stoma/surrounding skin out to air (during a quiet moment, not when post-prandial obviously) whenever I do a bag change. Unless you know what you are treating, dry and cool is what you are after. Good luck with that in this era of drought and plague. Cornstarch is my go-to--do not use talcum powder ever...on anything---for keeping the skin. But if you are dealing with a fungal (itchy and very red normally) eruption, you may want to try a call to your primary care doc/WOCnurse, or go with an antifungal powder. In the land of the ostomy, I am completely a 'less is more' enthusiast.

Take good care. Time is a good drug too. Best, Ninja

bigal1579

Your skin will love it if you can simply clean it during your change, and then leave it open to the air for some period, like 10-20 minutes before putting the new pouch on. Obviously, output during that time can be a nuisance, but with picking the right time, standing over the toilet, and judicious use of toilet paper, you should be able to manage. There is something about the skin breathing real air for even a short period of time that really helps.

Ninja

Well put. Big fan of the air.....until the fires screw it up again. Liked this perspective on adapting, but also how you put it. Stay cool. Cheers, Les

Past Member

Thank you!

joanmarie

I use Stomahesive Protective Powder, made by ConvaTec. But with newer supplies, I rarely develop a rash, so good luck to you. Hang in there!! Joan in Colorado

bryancohnracing

Mojowin, I had rash, redness, weeping under and around my barrier regardless of the skin protectant I tried. Bob, mentioned above, figured out it was a version of athlete's foot! I've been using Tenactin since stumbling on his posts here and so far have had only one recurrence in 6 months. It was easily treated with a few sprays. I wear an Ostomy Armor Waste Wick daily and spray the skin side of the wick material with the spray. This seems to give me a longer acting effect and clears up the rash in a few days.

Hope this helps and good luck!

NewlifeVictoria

Hi, whoever is having rashes, they can get really painful. Just wanted to say I use the Nystop as well and it works quickly. But if you're not careful, it will give you a blowout. So, I use tape around the flange when I put the NyStop anti-fungal powder. By the way, you need a prescription. Hope this helps as well...

Hope everyone is having a great day! 
Happy Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday!!

NewlifeVictoria

Hello, I was reading your post.

I'm confused, some... happy it's working for you! My skin is pretty good most of the time, but not really right below the stoma, really close to it. Thank you for helping, it's appreciated.

Everyone here is awesome!!
Sincerely, your friend Victoria.

estrogen
Reply to joanmarie

Same here and it works. I've had no problems with raw skin