Struggling with Weight Loss and Hernias - Need Advice!

Replies
Views
SharKay

I have 3 post-surgery hernias and need to lose 25 lbs before I can have surgery. It seems no matter what I try from WW to clean eating, the scale doesn't move. I do struggle with digesting produce, brown rice, and quinoa. I have also been told not to lift over 10 lbs until I have surgery. I feel stuck and frustrated. Can we take diet pills or do diet shakes? I don't want to end up dehydrated.

Puppyluv56

SharKay,

Weight is an ongoing struggle! What is good to lose weight is not so good for our ostomy or output. The Atkins diet does help with both. I have taken Phentermine, a RX diet pill that helps to speed up your metabolism. That is something your doctor will need to approve and write a script for. It is a short-term aid. You cannot be on those kinds of drugs for at least two weeks prior to your surgery. Walking and drinking lots of water are key, as well as eating a high-protein diet. C5755755 is correct in looking at your magnesium and other labs. You should discuss this with your doctor as well. There is a diet that is usually given to patients before surgery who have to lose weight. You need to shrink your pancreas for surgery. It is called the Heart Diet, or something like that. It is the diet that heart patients get prior to and after surgery. It is effective. Google it. It may work for you. Everyone is so different, so what works for one does not work for another. Did your surgeon send you to a nutritionist? They don't use any drugs but are a great support for diet and meal planning, as well as accountability!
Hope this helps.
Puppyluv

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,450 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Newbie Dana

Sugar really messes up your metabolism and kills any weight loss attempts. Sodas not only contain a lot more sugar than you think, but the carbonation can mess up your blood chemistry over time (so don't substitute diet soda). Also, you'll find lots of added sugar in most all processed foods, and white flour in bread quickly breaks down in your body to - sugars! There is a fine margin, however, between a diet that eliminates sugar and flour, and a diet that your lovely fresh stomach and remaining intestines can stand! Best of luck, and as was said earlier, keep an eye on your number and drink lots of plain old water!

Past Member

I think you should try some vitamins like B9 and B12. And some fruits like beetroots and pomegranates. It has many benefits for health and also good for weight loss.

AnnissarOmagnoli

When losing weight, it is important to stick to your diet and eliminate all harmful substances from your diet. Of course, you can use weight loss supplements, but before buying them, you should consult your doctor because some supplements have side effects. Losing weight is very hard because sometimes you just lose motivation. When I was losing weight, my girlfriend supported me. Moreover, she gave me https://www.vont.com/product/smart-scale-bathroom-scale-weight-scale/ to keep track of my progress. Every pound I lost motivated me not to stop.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister