Thick Sticky Buildup - Stoma: Need Advice on Mucus Accumulation

Replies
Views
keepers51

I'm posting a question here because I haven't figured out how to use this site for answers that may already be addressed.

Anyway, I've had my stoma from a colostomy for just over two years now. I'm using the Hollister convex barrier cut to fit with nothing added. As I've posted on here before, the stoma has grown from a small slit at the beginning to now an irregular oval about 30 x 40 mm and extending about 20 to 25 mm. It looks healthy and is working fine, and I'm wearing my barriers from 5 to 8 days successfully. So, now the question. For about the past six months, with each barrier change just below the stoma, at the bottom area, there is often a piece of debris, milky and clear but firm, which I pull away. It's stuck at the bottom of the stoma and held between the intestine and the skin. Furthermore, when cleaning the soil around the stoma, there is a buildup of thick, sticky, milky-colored material which I have to sort of dig out from below the stoma just under the skin. It's a bit like rubber cement in consistency, and when I push on the skin below the stoma, a bit more is ejected. Enough to cover a q-tip on both ends. Removing it doesn't cause any discomfort or damage. I think it's a mucus accumulation.

Anyone have a similar buildup or suggestions?

Bill

Hello keepers51.

I think you are absolutely right in that the stuff you describe is almost certainly mucus, and is quite 'normal'. The mucus is functional in lubricating the walls of the colon so that the faeces can pass through more easily.  I am surprised that you haven't mentioned it also coming from the anus, as this also causes some people to question it's origin and purpose. I change my wafers/stoma plugs every day and have the same type of mucus accumulating. It's easy enough to remove and does no harm.  It sounds as if what you are doing is what we all might do in the circumstances - clean it up and carry on. However, my responses to questions like this from people with a colostomy usually contain a recommendation to explore the technique of  irrigation. It won't stop the mucus altogether, but (if successful) it will improve your quality of life no end.

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,374 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

keepers51
Reply to Bill

Thanks, Bill. Yes, mucus from the anus is common, several times a day. I had already had help from the site with that question.

Keepers51

w30bob

Hi Keepers,

What Bill said is probably right. What caught my attention was your phrase "when I push on the skin below the stoma a bit more is ejected." I assume you mean ejected from your stoma, and not the skin under your stoma. Is that right? If it is... it's like Bill said... a mucus discharge. If it's ejecting from the skin UNDER your stoma, it's sounding like an abscess. Either way, you have your answer!

Regards,

Bob

keepers51
Reply to w30bob

Hi, Bob. Thanks for responding. Yes, there is a small pocket located just about at the 5 o'clock position where there is always an accumulation of the mucus material. It does appear to be an accumulation as opposed to a source. The first end of the q-tip removes the exposed mucus from a crease and then when I pull downward with my thumb to lower the stoma opening a bit the remaining mucus material is removed with the other end of the q-tip and it's cleared. You have offered me very helpful information these past two years. I really appreciate you and Bill and others who have offered advice and guidance.

Keepers

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
w30bob

Hi Keeps...........great to hear!, as the other alternative is the not-so-fun one!

Regards,

Bob