Need advice for rectal stump complications: Impaction and bleeding

Replies
Views
Managing

I have a permanent ileostomy. And I have a rectal stump. My placement was January 18, 2021. At first, I had horrid rectal discharge, then it stopped. And for months, I felt like I needed to "go," and of course, it was phantom. Today, I was totally impacted in my rectum, like giving birth along with blood clots. I would say this is normal if impacted. Would you say that it is? I am still bleeding but not profusely. Any advice?

StPetie

I have a permanent colostomy with a rectal stump also. I have a small amount of discharge more or less weekly. An oily substance created for lubrication. But nothing approaching what you describe. My first thought is 'Call your doctor' if you haven't already. Something's not right.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,460 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lovely

I have a mucus discharge sometimes several times a day. I have not had any blood, you may need to get it checked out. Best wishes and let us know how you get along as it may help others.

Managing
Reply to StPetie

I didn't think it was right either. Calling him first thing Monday morning... Thank you for responding to me...

Bill

Hello Managing.

Thanks for your post and thanks for the useful replies. The bleeding is probably just the result of some minor damage if you have had some impacting going on. However, when blood is invloved, it is always a good idea to have a professional take a look and make an informed pronouncement on what's going on. With this sort of thing, peace of mind is important for obvious reasons.

Do let us know how you get onĀ 

Best wishes

BillĀ 

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Paige

Hi, I have experienced this... it seems that the anal remnant or stump tries to close up and then no discharge for a while and then when the mucus builds up it breaks up the tissue and I do get bleeding from time to time when it opens up again. I have not experienced clots but definitely bleeding. That is how my Dr. explained it. I find that when you are getting the build up and pressure... a sitz bath helps with the pressure and to get it moving again. It seems the rectal stump or anal remnant will always make mucus. Would still get it checked out though.

StPetie
Reply to Managing

I'm glad. Please let me know what the doc says. Crossing my fingers for you.

patrickrichardson1946
Reply to lovely

Same here.

StPetie

I don't mean to be nosy but I am curious what the doc had to say. Hope all is well with you.

thelesperance

What is the difference between a regular Barbie butt from ileostomy (me), and rectal stump? Never really had to deal with discharge.

patrickrichardson1946

Maybe a Barbie butt is the removal of the rectal stump so nothing at all comes from it!

StPetie
Reply to patrickrichardson1946

From what I understand, the Barbie Butt is the removal of the interior bits between the stoma and anus. Then sewing the anus closed. Hence the name.

StPetie
Reply to patrickrichardson1946

From what I understand, the Barbie Butt is the removal of the interior bits between the stoma and anus. Then sewing the anus closed. Hence the name.

Newbie Dana

Always have bleeding checked out by your doctor. He may want to do a flexible sigmoidoscopy in the office, or he may want to anesthetize you like doing a whole colonoscopy - depends on how much of your colon is left. That way, they can find where the bleeding is coming from. I have had rectal bleeding for the past 4 years. Radiation damage from the cancer treatments (before my ostomy surgery) caused an area to bleed, try to heal, break open again and bleed, etc. After a few scopes, they concluded that as long as I don't develop anemia there's nothing much they can do. Now I wear a panty liner to catch any blood seepage. Every five years I go back for another scope for them to check it out, and I eat a high-protein diet to replace any blood I lose, and my GP does blood work every year to keep an eye on it.

If your doctor scopes you and says it's OK and they will watch it, I wouldn't be too worried. Did you have any radiation or chemotherapy? Either of those could cause later bleeding. If the bleeding stops completely, probably nothing to worry about. If it comes and goes, remember to up the protein in your diet to compensate. Good luck, and do tell us how it goes!

Superme

I can tell you, it is normal for some. When I had the rectal stump, mine bled, but I was prescribed cortisone, which was a liquid in a bottle with a pump. It was used to clean my rectum, and that would stop the bleeding from the stump. That was over 40 years ago. These days, I have no idea what they would recommend. Also, they convinced me to have my rectum removed by telling me if they reconnect me, I would need to wear diapers. I had only turned 20 at the time, and the thought of pooping in my pants did not appeal to me. There wasn't any drugs to take to manage my UC, and they did not have J Pouches in Canada then. It was only when I moved to the USA that I learned of different surgeries such as J pouch or BCIR. I did eventually try BCIR, but it did not work for me. I have no regrets, and I welcomed my full-blown ileostomy. There are many who had success with BCIR, but I think that doctor is not able to practice anymore. Mike