Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
26,431 members

Varices

Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:08 pm
"This is the best website for people with an Ostomy, hands down. So much understanding. Everyone should join."

During chemotherapy 6 years ago my portal vein became blocked which has given me varices around my stoma.

These cause me some problems but I think varices are quite rare - I'd love to hear from anyone else with the same problem

Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:07 pm

I don't have that problem. In fact, I had to look it up to find out what it was. I did find some very technical articles on paristomal varices, that said they sometimes re-bleed, which I assume is the problem they are causing you. There was something about a treatment called TIPS, which I did not understand at all, but perhaps you can discuss it with your doctor. I hope there is someone on the site who can help you, or at least commiserate. It seems this is pretty rare. I wish you the best of luck.

MeetAnOstoMate - 26,431 members
Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:15 am

Newbie Dana wrote:

I don't have that problem. In fact, I had to look it up to find out what it was. I did find some very technical articles on paristomal varices, that said they sometimes re-bleed, which I assume is ...

Thanks for that, it is quite rare. The problem I have is pain and soreness rather than bleeding and my liver consultatnt has told me that TIPS is not appropriate - atm they are doing conservative management in the form of blood presure medication. Nice to have your commiserations though anyway X

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.