Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
26,431 members

Enteric coated supplements

Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:39 pm
"This is the best website for people with an Ostomy, hands down. So much understanding. Everyone should join."

seeking feedback re: enteric coated supplements...there's one I'd like to take that I can only find as enteric coated...my impression is that the issue is more lack of absorption than risky, but has anyone had an issue with obstruction? 

Axl
Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:34 am

Hi Mairi

There was a time when I was taking slow release something or other which would come straight out the other end. So I would grind them up in a pestle then add it into some water, some things tasted like crap but it worked.

MeetAnOstoMate - 26,431 members
Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:26 am

Axl wrote:

Hi Mairi

There was a time when I was taking slow release something or other which would come straight out the other end. So I would grind them up in a pestle then add it into some water, some thin...

I wondered about grinding them up. You might not get the full benefit of the dose , but certainly more than having it pass through....or worse, NOT pass through. Thanks!

Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:46 am

Hi

I have had problems with capsules,I take coated tablets with no problems. Xx

Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:05 pm

Nothing impt. to add. Just I took a very impt. bedtime time release med. It came out of me post colostomy unabsorbed, but it's too strong to grind, have at once. So my doc told me to give it up, as I take 4 daytime pills regularly (need it to stay alive, literally!). I survived! Was glad to give up one med! 

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.