Ileostomy and dry skin - any tips?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
TerryLT

Hi all, so, is this even a thing? I've had my ileo for just over a year and I've noticed my skin is dry as the desert. I've always had dry skin, but this is beyond what was normal for me. I know you don't retain your water when your large bowel is not in play, but I drink tons of water and other liquids to compensate. I am getting older, 70 now, yikes, and I know it's normal for skin to lose its elasticity and moisture as we age, so I'm wondering if that's all it is, but the change seems kind of sudden for that. I'm wondering if other ileostomates have experienced this, and also, if so, any tips on products, moisturizers etc. that might work for you. Many thanks!

Terry

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

Is it on your skin everywhere or just around your stoma area?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

Hi Terry,

I have really dry skin in the winter but not in the summer. My legs especially look like it is snowing LOL. I use the cow cream (white jar with black splotches)...I think it is called Udderly Smooth...seems to help.

Karen

AlexT
Reply to Anonymous

That's the stuff I had to put on my feet during chemotherapy, good stuff.

Past Member
Reply to AlexT

Yes, I love it! So does Ziggy (my puppy)! She always licks it off my legs.

Maybe I should check the ingredients...

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
AlexT
Reply to Anonymous

LOL. It's probably the mayonnaise in it that the puppy likes. I didn't read the ingredients so I'm not sure what's in it.

William15

Hi Terry

While I don't seem to experience stoma-related dry skin, I began experiencing a dry scalp during the summer, possibly linked to hard water conditions at my home. I researched treatment options and organic coconut oil was suggested. I went for it, and dry scalp is no longer with me.

The product I used is in a jar, in hard form, but in the bathroom it becomes softer, and can also be diluted. I'm really pleased with the outcome. I purchased it from the food section of my local Morrisons supermarket.

Best wishes.

W*

ron in mich

Hi Terry, yes in the colder weather with the furnace running, the air is so dry it causes static. Also, my skin is dry, itchy, and flaky on my legs. Like you, I drink various liquids all day and have tried different lotions with not much success.

jenny147

Hi!! Yes!!! I have had my ileostomy now nearly five months, the recent last month my skin has become incredibly dry.

Three weeks after I came home after convalescing from surgery at my brother's, I broke out in this very red hot itchy rash on

my lower legs, the doctor prescribed Lodaid and it has sorted it out.

But since that has cleared up, skin all over my body is incredibly dry, I use just any hand cream, straight after my shower, seems to be working.

When I asked my doc about it, she asked me about fluid intake etc, thought maybe I needed to up that, told her any more, I'd bloody drown!!!

Reason I use hand cream is it's way more effective than prescribed creams (except the Lodaid), the hand cream is more absorbent than those

that are greasy and seem to just sit on the skin, feels horrible..

Caz67

Hi Terry

When you have had a shower, you could put pure coconut oil on and let it absorb for a while before putting your next bag on. Once it has been on for a while, use an unscented baby wipe to remove and dab dry, then put your bag on. I hope this helps xx

TerryLT
Reply to ron in mich

I get the same thing in the winter, sometimes my fingers are so dry, the skin cracks and bleeds. I started using a product called "Working Hands", and it's great, but really only for hands.

TerryLT
Reply to Caz67

Hi Caz, I should have been more specific, it's my skin in general, face, hands, legs, that get really dry. My parastomal skin is just fine, no problems there. Thanks!

Terry

TerryLT
Reply to jenny147

Thanks Jenny, I will check out the Lodaid, it might not be available in this part of the world.

Past Member
Reply to TerryLT

I use that too... love it!